Author Topic: The Decade from the Perspective as a Boston Fan  (Read 2023 times)

The Decade from the Perspective as a Boston Fan
« on: June 18, 2010, 10:40:55 PM »

Offline teezy

• Maine Celtic
  • Tommy Points: 0
It's not over yet, but I was thinking about it this morning, and I think this decade has been a wild roller coaster ride for Boston fans. It's not over, but we've been through the some of the most exhilarating victories and also the most heartbreaking losses. I just wanted to share a quick recap of the moments as I remember them so that maybe it'll bring back thoughts for you guys too.

2001: Thanks to Bledsoe's injury, the legend of Tom Brady is born and the Patriots come out of nowhere to win the Super Bowl over the heavily favored "Greatest Show on Turf" Rams.

2002: The Celtics, behind Pierce and Walker, come back from 21 down in the 4th to go up 2-1 in the Conference Finals against the Nets, only to promptly drop the next 3 games.

2003: The Patriots roll through the season behind Belichick and Brady and win another Super Bowl over the Panthers.

2003: The Red Sox run neck and neck to get to a 5-2 lead in the 8th inning of Game 7 of the ALCS. Workers start preparing Fenway for the World Series, which they haven't won since 1918. Pedro doesn't get pulled out, Yankees tie it, and Aaron Boone hits a walkoff in extras.

2004: The Patriots, again, roll behind Belichick and Brady and win the Super Bowl over the Eagles, becoming the 2nd team to win 3 in 4 years.

2004: The Red Sox go down 3-0 in the ALCS to the Yankees as sportswriters everywhere talk about the Yankees continued dominance over the Red Sox. Improbably, behind the bat of David Ortiz, the Sox win one game, then win another, and another, and destroy the Yankees in Game 7 to become the first team to come back from a 3-0 deficit. They sweep the Cards in a World Series that almost feels like an afterthought after the ALCS, the Red Sox' first title since 1918.

2006: In the AFC championship game, the Patriots go up with a 21-0 lead against the Colts, of who they seem to have a pre-2004 Yankees-Red Sox-like domination. Just like the Red Sox, the Colts come back and defeat their demons and win, thanks in part to Reche Caldwell's wide open drop and huge eyes. The Colts go on to win the Super Bowl, shedding Peyton's choker label.

2006: Celtics fans are treated to the likes of Gerald Green and an 18 game losing streak, a big fall from the glory days. Everyone wonders how long Ainge and Rivers will last.

2007: Red Sox win the World Series over the Rockies. To be fair I was away for most of this and don't have many memories.

2008: The Patriots go 18-0 up to the Super Bowl, against the wild card Giants. Given the level of absolute offensive domination the Patriots put on over the season, it'd be hard to say many Pats fans expected this to be a tight game. A very effective pass rush from the Giants plus several miscues on the final Giants drive turned the memories of this Patriots team from greatest team ever in NFL history to just a huge missed opportunity. This was the biggest heartbreak of the decade for me.

2008: The Celtics, behind the Big 3 and a suffocating defense, survive the Cavs and go on to win the finals against the Lakers, ending with a 131-92 victory in Game 6. The toughness and energy the team played with will likely make it a championship team that will be remembered for a while.

2010: The Celtics sleep walk through a miserable season for fans, entering the playoffs as a 4 seed and are "guaranteed" to lose in the 1st round to the Heat by superfan Bill Simmons. They beat the Heat, and convincingly defeat heavy favorites in the Cavs and the Magic, before finally losing to the Lakers in the finals in a hard fought Game 7. Despite the loss and ensuing disappointment for fans, the Celtics fought hard and had just a few things gone their way, could easily be champions. An absolutely thrilling run to say the least.

Sorry, I'm not really an NHL (or MLS) fan. I just hope that going through these moments brings back a bevy of memories, both good and bad, as it did for me writing these. I may have missed some, so feel free to add some more in.