Author Topic: With Perk having a serious injury , do the C's have to take a big man at #19?  (Read 10436 times)

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
To address the Perk speculations, I have torn both my MCL and my meniscus (at the same time). The MCL healed on its own in a couple of weeks but I had to have surgery ti fix my meniscus and the recovery was about nine months (not sure if that's average). However, before I had the surgery I was able to sports though not at a competitive level. I 'm not sure about the PCL but i wouldn't worry about an MCL tear in terms of recovery time

You tore your MCL and meniscus just to address the Perk speculations?  Wow, now that's commitment.

Really though, this kind of thing has always been a pet peeve of mine.  Every person, and every injury is different.  There are all different levels of tears, and everyone heals at different paces.  Sometimes certain supplements (which I am sure Perk has never touched in his life...) can also help heal things quicker. 

I am sure we will hear a timeframe for his recovery soon, and I am sure that will change 5 times during his rehab. 

Lol good catch. I'm reading this now and my first sentence does seem absurdly worded. But I understand what you mean with every player recovers from injuries at their own pace. The point I was trying to make is that an MCL tear is generally not as serious as other tears and doesn't usually result in surgery.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

Online celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1394
To address the Perk speculations, I have torn both my MCL and my meniscus (at the same time). The MCL healed on its own in a couple of weeks but I had to have surgery ti fix my meniscus and the recovery was about nine months (not sure if that's average). However, before I had the surgery I was able to sports though not at a competitive level. I 'm not sure about the PCL but i wouldn't worry about an MCL tear in terms of recovery time

You tore your MCL and meniscus just to address the Perk speculations?  Wow, now that's commitment.

Really though, this kind of thing has always been a pet peeve of mine.  Every person, and every injury is different.  There are all different levels of tears, and everyone heals at different paces.  Sometimes certain supplements (which I am sure Perk has never touched in his life...) can also help heal things quicker. 

I am sure we will hear a timeframe for his recovery soon, and I am sure that will change 5 times during his rehab. 

Lol good catch. I'm reading this now and my first sentence does seem absurdly worded. But I understand what you mean with every player recovers from injuries at their own pace. The point I was trying to make is that an MCL tear is generally not as serious as other tears and doesn't usually result in surgery.
You would be the most awesome fan ever if you tore your mcl just to feel what perkins was going through. lol!

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Like some have said, you don't draft a center with the 19th pick to fill a need for next year because the centers that will be available like Orton, Whiteside, Alabi, etc. will not be able to contribute for a few years anyway. You take the BPA and maybe it will be one of those guys or maybe it will be a pg. We might use our 2nd round pick on a guy like Pittman, Jordan, Gallon, etc. to get some size. Those guys may contribute as much, if not more, if their first year then guys who will be available at 19.

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Like some have said, you don't draft a center with the 19th pick to fill a need for next year because the centers that will be available like Orton, Whiteside, Alabi, etc. will not be able to contribute for a few years anyway. You take the BPA and maybe it will be one of those guys or maybe it will be a pg. We might use our 2nd round pick on a guy like Pittman, Jordan, Gallon, etc. to get some size. Those guys may contribute as much, if not more, if their first year then guys who will be available at 19.

No, you don't.....unless you couldn't make up your mind between two players (a center and a non-big) in the first place....Then you can say well no Perk no Sheed let's give the center a whirl.....In other words, while they do rank the players, they also know it's an inexact science and I'm sure players tie in their minds from time to time.  I'm quite sure there are numerous times when they are not saddened when the team drafting one slot ahead makes the decision for them.....

I agree that Perk's injury makes it more likely he'll be a long term Celtic, but combined with Sheed's possible retirement, Alabi does gain in my book over the other centers around at 19....

I'll bet he could play some minutes next year....they just have to teach him to get rid of the ball on offense (or give him one or 2 scenarios where he's allowed to shoot....and obviously he'd have the green light for put backs).

Then maybe somewhere down the road he can keep the ball on offense a bit and do a bit more.....but he might be able to defend some by the end of his first year.....

Still think Damion James makes lots of sense, even though he's slipping a bit.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

No, you don't.....unless you couldn't make up your mind between two players (a center and a non-big) in the first place....Then you can say well no Perk no Sheed let's give the center a whirl.....In other words, while they do rank the players, they also know it's an inexact science and I'm sure players tie in their minds from time to time.  I'm quite sure there are numerous times when they are not saddened when the team drafting one slot ahead makes the decision for them.....

I agree that Perk's injury makes it more likely he'll be a long term Celtic, but combined with Sheed's possible retirement, Alabi does gain in my book over the other centers around at 19....

I'll bet he could play some minutes next year....they just have to teach him to get rid of the ball on offense (or give him one or 2 scenarios where he's allowed to shoot....and obviously he'd have the green light for put backs).

Then maybe somewhere down the road he can keep the ball on offense a bit and do a bit more.....but he might be able to defend some by the end of his first year.....

Still think Damion James makes lots of sense, even though he's slipping a bit.

Chad Ford had an excellent article describing the Tier Philosophy of drafting which, when we have draft games here at Celticsblog, is the one I make my trading and drafting decisions around. It's an Insider article so I will cut and paste the whole article. It brings up specifically drafting best talent available versus drafting for need and how it would be done in a tier system. It's a good read:

Link

edit: unfortunately, it is against site rules to paste an entire article from a pay site like that.  If you would like to paste snippets to discuss, that is fine, but please do not post the entire thing. - Chris
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 09:08:13 PM by Chris »