Author Topic: With Perk having a serious injury , do the C's have to take a big man at #19?  (Read 10435 times)

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
The Celtics would have needed to take a big in the draft regardless of Perk's injury. I wish he is back in training camp, because he's important to the team, and he'll be in a contract year, he's earned his chance to get a good contract.

About the draft, Danny won't follow the Best Player Available rule throughout the draft. He will draft the best talent with 19th and then with the second (or more if they buy another pick) pick he'll draft a prospect to develope in a different position. He won't draft two SG/SF, because he'll be trying to develope assets for 2012's summer.

So if Sanders, Whiteside, Orton or Udoh are around at 19, I think he'll grab one, if not, he'll draft a wing and draft a big with a bought late first round pick (Alabi) or with 52nd pick (Pittman). I'd like to have James Anderson, Larry Sanders and Da'Sean Butler, but that'd mean a lot of luck and buying a late first round pick. In two years they could develope and be the "little three" or good trade assets to reload.

Go Celtics!!! Perk, get well soon...

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
A Perkins injury may alter their MLE plans but I doubt it'll change their draft plans.

The first reason is that drafting for need, unless the talent level is even/comparable, is a very bad strategy. You hurt yourself in the talent department and the short term need hardly ever makes up for that loss.

The second reason is that most big men you find in the 15-25 range are projects and unready to play. So if you need a guy to play a major role you go out and sign a free agent instead of taking a high risk play with a project big man (Alabi, Orton, Whiteside).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 07:51:02 AM by Who »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Listen to this kid in his interview. I felt that this kid could be awesome, but we didn’t need any more bigs... now it’s a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMwAYFWYbRU

Quote from: Hassan Whiteside
The defensive presence i bring, nobody else in the country has that. The WAY i play defense, and the length, i don’t really think theres anybody as athletic as me

I could see this kid coming in under Clifford Ray, Kevin Garnett, and Rasheed Wallace... and just playing with fire right from the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byBhSZn2NfQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

i hope he’s on the board because i don’t think any of the other bigs have this type of potential
This is the type of guy that would be great for the C's.  Lottery talent but could slide to #19.  They've been lucky with sliders in the past (Pierce, Rondo) so why not this year?

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Perk's injury has little to do with how they will draft.  There are no centers that will be available at 19 who would be ready to play minutes within the next year.  In two years, when those guys are ready (if they ever are), Perk will either be healthy, or gone in free agency or trade (which has nothing to do with the injury).

In fact, if anything, I think Perk's injury may make the C's have less need to draft a center.  The injury will likely hurt his value on the open market next season, which may allow the C's to keep him for a more reasonable price longterm, giving them no need for a project center.

Ultimately, I think the C's will take the best player available, and I think they will be looking for someone who can help them sooner rather than later...which rules out most of the big men.

Instead, I expect them to go after a big man like Amir Johnson in free agency.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Listen to this kid in his interview. I felt that this kid could be awesome, but we didn’t need any more bigs... now it’s a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMwAYFWYbRU

Quote from: Hassan Whiteside
The defensive presence i bring, nobody else in the country has that. The WAY i play defense, and the length, i don’t really think theres anybody as athletic as me

I could see this kid coming in under Clifford Ray, Kevin Garnett, and Rasheed Wallace... and just playing with fire right from the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byBhSZn2NfQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

i hope he’s on the board because i don’t think any of the other bigs have this type of potential
This is the type of guy that would be great for the C's.  Lottery talent but could slide to #19.  They've been lucky with sliders in the past (Pierce, Rondo) so why not this year?

He is not the kind of "slider" I would look for.  To me, he is a guy who was ranked way too high in the first place, just because of his athleticism, and he has fallen back to where he belongs, because he is not much of a basketball player.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2158
Ainge should select the best player available with the 19th pick. The MLE should be allocated to fill other needs such as another big. I'm not sure what type of bigs are out there, but Jermaine O'neal, Big Z and Shaq come to mind.

The three slow horrible defenders that we crushed in order to get to the finals? I don’t think so.

Straw Man much?

Ainge should take who he feels is the best player available and utilize the MLE for immediate needs.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I hope we can package Glen Davis with the #19 and move up to grab something substantial.

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I had thought the Cs would go for a ready-now BPA, like James or Sanders, but now I have switched over to the Alabi camp.

If Whiteside slides, of course I'd pick him, but there is no way he slides to #19.  No way.

I think Alabi is our pick, and it's because of Perk's injury.  
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I hope we can package Glen Davis with the #19 and move up to grab something substantial.
Glen Davis is better than any player you are going to get in this draft below the 7th pick. With that said, he and the #19 aren't going to get you anything in the top 10.

Davis continues to prove his value as an off the bench PF. Trading him at the price he is being paid is a bad idea.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Glen Davis is better than any player you are going to get in this draft below the 7th pick. With that said, he and the #19 aren't going to get you anything in the top 10.

Davis continues to prove his value as an off the bench PF. Trading him at the price he is being paid is a bad idea.
This doesn't make much sense: if he's better than any player below the 7th pick, why wouldn't teams want to trade a top 10 pick for him?
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

This doesn't make much sense: if he's better than any player below the 7th pick, why wouldn't teams want to trade a top 10 pick for him?
Upside. The potential to be something more.

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
To address the Perk speculations, I have torn both my MCL and my meniscus (at the same time). The MCL healed on its own in a couple of weeks but I had to have surgery ti fix my meniscus and the recovery was about nine months (not sure if that's average). However, before I had the surgery I was able to sports though not at a competitive level. I 'm not sure about the PCL but i wouldn't worry about an MCL tear in terms of recovery time
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
To address the Perk speculations, I have torn both my MCL and my meniscus (at the same time). The MCL healed on its own in a couple of weeks but I had to have surgery ti fix my meniscus and the recovery was about nine months (not sure if that's average). However, before I had the surgery I was able to sports though not at a competitive level. I 'm not sure about the PCL but i wouldn't worry about an MCL tear in terms of recovery time

One of my former players partially tore his meniscus and after surgery, the recovery time was 6-8 weeks.

A torn MCL and or PCL for a professional athlete that is 6'10 280 pounds is at least a six month recovery time, and that's if he is a quick healer and rehabs 110 percent. I think all-star break is a best case scenario.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You tore your MCL and meniscus just to address the Perk speculations?  Wow, now that's commitment.

Really though, this kind of thing has always been a pet peeve of mine.  Every person, and every injury is different.  There are all different levels of tears, and everyone heals at different paces.  Sometimes certain supplements (which I am sure Perk has never touched in his life...) can also help heal things quicker. 

I am sure we will hear a timeframe for his recovery soon, and I am sure that will change 5 times during his rehab. 

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Cs should just take the best player available.
No big man available in the draft will be ready to contribute meaningful minutes anyway.
Celtics fan for life.