Author Topic: With Perk having a serious injury , do the C's have to take a big man at #19?  (Read 10429 times)

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
After tearing his MCL and PCL Perk will likely be gone for a good portion or all of next season. Rasheed can fill in maybe 25 mins a game during the regular season , but do we really want a 36 year old sheed and 35 year old KG both starting? I think we are going to need a young big man that can come in and rebound and pick up the team D right away ( like BBD did his rookie year). If at all possible I would love to get a shotblocker with length and athleticisim.

Some of the big men that appear around #19 in mock drafts are

Daniel Orton
Larry Sanders
Craig brackins
Solomon Alabi

Maybe the C's sign Big Z , Haywood or Shaq with the MLE, but I think we need youth and athleticism in the front court.

Anyone else agree that we definitely go big now with Perks major knee injury?
« Last Edit: June 16, 2010, 09:39:27 PM by rondohondo »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
Not a bad idea, but I think Danny will just go with the best talent available. 

Good 7 footers do sometimes go in the late teens so it's not a bad idea.  Haywood, Magloire and Zach Randolph are all big guys that went in the high teens. 

They seriously need depth at all positions so I don't see them passing on a good talent just for size.

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Not a bad idea, but I think Danny will just go with the best talent available. 

Good 7 footers do sometimes go in the late teens so it's not a bad idea.  Haywood, Magloire and Zach Randolph are all big guys that went in the high teens. 

They seriously need depth at all positions so I don't see them passing on a good talent just for size.

Well if Nate and TA are signed for about 3-4 mil the c's will be all set at the backup pg and sg for the next few years.

You're probably right ,they probably go with the best talent at the SF,PF or C position. PP needs a backup with skill who can shoot and defend., but I think a young big man tops that now.

So I see the C's taking a guy like Babbit if he is there because he would be able to play the 3 and stretch 4 off the bench and then you sign a big man with the MLE

Or

You draft a big man and hope that he can step in right away and pick up the D and then sign Travis Outlaw or Mike Miller to be Ray/PP backup.

Kiorrik

I'm actually looking forward to the off season and any possible trading.

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Perkins will be back no later than Jan. 31, perhaps sooner.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

Maybe he will be able to play by then,but will he be effective?

It usually takes about a year to start to return to pre injury form. I know Perks game doesn't rely much on athleticism, but he has to be able to cover the pick and roll and bang with the big boys down low. He may not be right again until 2011-12 season...

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31

I would be very surprised if there is any way its that soon. I think more likely, it's a 9 month injury at best. If we are lucky, he may be able to play  for the playoffs next season.

Offline PeaceSignMoose

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Just curiosity, where are we getting these "Perkins will never be the same" and "It's at least a 9 month recover" things from?  I know no MRI was run, but it's been established that it was an MCL/PCL tear.  Usually, PCL tears are partial tears that can heal on their own.  No surgery is needed for either of his ligament injuries.  We're talking weeks for recovery+rehab here.  We're not talking anywhere close to months.

Perkins is not going to miss training camp.

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Just curiosity, where are we getting these "Perkins will never be the same" and "It's at least a 9 month recover" things from?  I know no MRI was run, but it's been established that it was an MCL/PCL tear.  Usually, PCL tears are partial tears that can heal on their own.  No surgery is needed for either of his ligament injuries.  We're talking weeks for recovery+rehab here.  We're not talking anywhere close to months.

right -- isn't it the same type of tear, maybe jsut more severe, than the one Bynum has?

OTOH, ESPN said it was a torn ACL today (i think on PTI) but that may have jsut been rumor.

either way, i would love to draft a big for the same reason i wanted Sheed last summer and woudl like to keep Shelden this summer (his Game 3 play notwithstanding) --I never think it's a bad idea to stockpile talented bigs.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

Offline PeaceSignMoose

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 0
Just curiosity, where are we getting these "Perkins will never be the same" and "It's at least a 9 month recover" things from?  I know no MRI was run, but it's been established that it was an MCL/PCL tear.  Usually, PCL tears are partial tears that can heal on their own.  No surgery is needed for either of his ligament injuries.  We're talking weeks for recovery+rehab here.  We're not talking anywhere close to months.

right -- isn't it the same type of tear, maybe jsut more severe, than the one Bynum has?

OTOH, ESPN said it was a torn ACL today (i think on PTI) but that may have jsut been rumor.

either way, i would love to draft a big for the same reason i wanted Sheed last summer and woudl like to keep Shelden this summer (his Game 3 play notwithstanding) --I never think it's a bad idea to stockpile talented bigs.

I think ESPN is mistaken.  And that stems from Perk, who I don't think really understood what was going on either.  Around when PTI was on, the story was that Perk had a torn ACL/PCL, but Marc Spears later confirmed that was actually a torn MCL and partially torn PCL.  The two are actually very different.  In my limited medical knowledge, ACL tears HAVE to be fixed by surgery, since fluid fills up in the knee and it cannot heal properly without intervention.  However, with an MCL/PCL tear, the knee remains more or less free of fluid and it takes a few weeks to heal. 

Now, from what I know, Bynum has a torn meniscus, which is a tear in the cartilage in the knee.  The difference between that and what Perk has is Bynum's knee is more or less stable.  No further damage is usually done if you keep playing on a torn meniscus, and it's really up to the pain tolerance of the player.  A lot of people keep playing on torn menisci (just seems like that should be the plural, doesn't it?)

To put it into perspective, in the 2006 baseball season, around August, Jason Varitek tore his meniscus.  They were actually just going to hold him out for a few weeks until the swelling subsided, and were going to get him back out there, reserving surgery for the end of the season.  While he was gone though, the team fell so far out of contention that they just held him out and had him get it fixed.

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I dunno. If we're still a vet team next season it's not likely our rookie will contribute much. And Perk will be back well before the season ends. So I think we should draft the player with the most potential left when it's our turn regardless of position. And look to FA to get a big who can contribute. I don't even know who's available this offseason. On a related note I wonder how Sweetney is doing in China.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Offline get_banners

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 100
perk didn't tear his ACL - unless they're wrong about that. his recovery shouldn't be that long or that severe. he'll probably miss the beginning of the season, but i doubt it'll take him more than 6 months to be back. as others have noted, he may not need surgery. if this was an ACL tear, different story. it might get tricky if perk relied on his athleticism in terms of getting back to normal (like TA, who took a while to get back to speed after his knee injuries), but that's not really perk.

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
Ainge should select the best player available with the 19th pick. The MLE should be allocated to fill other needs such as another big. I'm not sure what type of bigs are out there, but Jermaine O'neal, Big Z and Shaq come to mind.
The only color that matters is GREEN

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Ainge should select the best player available with the 19th pick. The MLE should be allocated to fill other needs such as another big. I'm not sure what type of bigs are out there, but Jermaine O'neal, Big Z and Shaq come to mind.

The three slow horrible defenders that we crushed in order to get to the finals? I don’t think so.

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Listen to this kid in his interview. I felt that this kid could be awesome, but we didn’t need any more bigs... now it’s a little different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMwAYFWYbRU

Quote from: Hassan Whiteside
The defensive presence i bring, nobody else in the country has that. The WAY i play defense, and the length, i don’t really think theres anybody as athletic as me

I could see this kid coming in under Clifford Ray, Kevin Garnett, and Rasheed Wallace... and just playing with fire right from the jump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byBhSZn2NfQ&NR=1&feature=fvwp

i hope he’s on the board because i don’t think any of the other bigs have this type of potential