Poll

With the 19th overall pick of the 2010 NBA Draft, the Boston Celtics select...

Avery Bradley
4 (8.5%)
Eric Bledsoe
4 (8.5%)
Damion James
6 (12.8%)
Gordon Hayward
9 (19.1%)
Larry Sanders
18 (38.3%)
Kevin Seraphin
1 (2.1%)
Devin Ebanks
1 (2.1%)
Stanley Robinson
2 (4.3%)
Willie Warren
0 (0%)
Dominique Jones
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: NBA Mock Draft: Who should the Celtics pick at #19?  (Read 14560 times)

Re: NBA Mock Draft: Who should the Celtics pick at #19?
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2010, 11:51:03 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It sounds like there are a lot of Larry Sanders fans out there.  So I have a question for all of you...have you seen him play?  And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I am genuinely curious how many of you have watched him play (in real games, not highlights), and how many just like the stats, and the scouting reports of him as an athletic shot blocker?

I personally have not seen him play, so I cannot really speak to him, but his scouting reports scare me, and I think he has bust written all over him, as do most athletic big men who go this late in the draft.  But perhaps some of you who have actually seen him play can convince me otherwise, and explain how he is not just a human pogo-stick.

« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2010, 05:53:47 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
It sounds like there are a lot of Larry Sanders fans out there.  So I have a question for all of you...have you seen him play?  And I don't mean that in a sarcastic way, I am genuinely curious how many of you have watched him play (in real games, not highlights), and how many just like the stats, and the scouting reports of him as an athletic shot blocker?

I personally have not seen him play, so I cannot really speak to him, but his scouting reports scare me, and I think he has bust written all over him, as do most athletic big men who go this late in the draft.  But perhaps some of you who have actually seen him play can convince me otherwise, and explain how he is not just a human pogo-stick.

I'm just like Who:  1.  Sanders  2. Damion James.......and happy either way.

But I admit Chris that regarding both I am going completely on a combination of Draftexpress and NBAdraftnet's analysis, the former going quite in depth....

My reasoning is this:  The Celtics are pretty much all set just as they are, with one potential bugaboo, which has to do with each year being a bit older, slower, more earth-bound and more vulnerable to fatigue....not to mention increased risk of injury, or, at least, slower recovery time....

I think if the pick is Damion James he could end up seeing some big minutes by the end of the year, especially against a team like the Hawks....while if the pick is Sanders, who is more of a project than James, I would definitely want Travis Outlaw or his clone, or some other athletic rebounder defender, so that Sanders could be brought along slowly.....I really doubt he'll be a bust, but he may take a while......

The Celtics were not a good rebounding team this year.  They were quite bad.  I want to address this situation aggressively.

What's funny is that I like just about every prospect on the list at the beginning of this thread, and I would love to have multiple picks....

Thanks to the OP for bringing us a look at what other fans in other cities are hoping for at their draft position...

« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2010, 06:57:01 PM »

Offline SCBirdman

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 31
My wish list of probable players left @ 19.

Damien James

James Anderson

Patrick Patterson

Solomon Alabi

I would be ok with Jordan Crawford or Avery Bradley. Biggest question on Bradley is, cna he be a consistent outside shooting threat?

I just think that James, Anderson, Patterson, and Alabi are the safest picks. Someone that is rated consensus top 15 will drop...hopefully Epke Udko from Baylor...I'm sure I just badgered him name, but I love that guy's length and abilitites.

I think Sanders, Heyward and Whiteside are all very questionable.

Personally, I would like to trade up and grab Greg Monroe. I think he may be the best talent in the draft with size.

« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2010, 07:12:33 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I'm just going by scouting reports, so I don't have a strong opinion.

« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Avery Bradley has the potential to be a great player. Undersized but that doesn't matter with the way that kid plays defense. He will fit great with the Celtics plus we need shooting guard. I like him a lot he can score also he knows how to play on both ends and he will be really good player i'm sure. But i'm afraid that he will be selected before 19th but if he is available than we have to select him. If he is not available than maybe Larry Sanders who will be good defensive player but kind a limited on the offensive end.

« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2010, 07:37:26 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

I have seen quite a few highlights (I realize they are only showing the good plays) and read almost every scouting report. The thing that sticks out to me is how much he has learned considering he started playing basketball his JR year in HS. To me that shows a willingness to learn and ability to be coached. He seems very humble and smart in his interviews too.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2010, 07:40:39 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

I'm just like Who:  1.  Sanders  2. Damion James.......and happy either way.

But I admit Chris that regarding both I am going completely on a combination of Draftexpress and NBAdraftnet's analysis, the former going quite in depth....

My reasoning is this:  The Celtics are pretty much all set just as they are, with one potential bugaboo, which has to do with each year being a bit older, slower, more earth-bound and more vulnerable to fatigue....not to mention increased risk of injury, or, at least, slower recovery time....

I think if the pick is Damion James he could end up seeing some big minutes by the end of the year, especially against a team like the Hawks....while if the pick is Sanders, who is more of a project than James, I would definitely want Travis Outlaw or his clone, or some other athletic rebounder defender, so that Sanders could be brought along slowly.....I really doubt he'll be a bust, but he may take a while......

The Celtics were not a good rebounding team this year.  They were quite bad.  I want to address this situation aggressively.

What's funny is that I like just about every prospect on the list at the beginning of this thread, and I would love to have multiple picks....

Thanks to the OP for bringing us a look at what other fans in other cities are hoping for at their draft position...

I guess I should add to this that aside from rebounding I also have my eye on future linueps that fit well with Rondo's game.  I see Hayward as a player who will shine more in the half-court.  On the other hand, Pierce shines more in the half-court and we're doing pretty well, so I'm not prepared to reject a player based on a typology quotient.....We definitely will need shooters in the future, but I'd like them to also be fast-breakers known for defense and rebounding, if at all possible.....I think if James Anderson drops the Celtics take him, for example....but again, our current team's got the shooters, so let's get some physical and/or athletic people in the draft....that, or Danny's best over-all vaue regardless of anything else (someone who drops)

« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2010, 07:41:37 PM »

Offline MiamiCelticfan

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 29
Please let Daniel Ortom fall.

This is exactly who i want. They guy is a presence defensively and his offensive game was nver able to flourish with cousins, wall, patterson, and bledsoe taking most of the shots. We need a younger big and an athletic wing scorer.

« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2010, 07:47:20 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!
hopefully, Luke Babbit will still be available. But with the attention he's getting lately, I think he'll be gone.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2010, 08:55:36 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404

Just going by the scouting reports + his interview where he sounded like he was committed to defense, that it was his first priority.

A guy like him with the athleticism he has + a commitment to defense + solid rebounding ... I find it difficult to believe that he won't be a good role player (at the very least) for the 10+ years in the NBA. 

« Reply #40 on: June 15, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I saw Sanders once in person and three times on television. He's big long and athletic but he has seemed at times to disappear for long stretches and he was muscled around one of the times I saw him play. When I watch college basketball and see kids play, I always want to get the feeling that "this can has NBA talent" when watching a kid for me to believe he can make it in the NBA.

While I didn't get that from Sanders, I did see the potential. A risk but he has huge upside. I'm more worried about him being mentally tough enough to compete at this level than physically, from what I've seen.

Some say he reminds them of Theo Ratliff or Ben Wallace. I don't see it.

« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2010, 06:02:05 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I saw Sanders once in person and three times on television. He's big long and athletic but he has seemed at times to disappear for long stretches and he was muscled around one of the times I saw him play. When I watch college basketball and see kids play, I always want to get the feeling that "this can has NBA talent" when watching a kid for me to believe he can make it in the NBA.

While I didn't get that from Sanders, I did see the potential. A risk but he has huge upside. I'm more worried about him being mentally tough enough to compete at this level than physically, from what I've seen.

I don't like Sanders at all - for many of the reasons you state.

Per Bulpett, we're not going to blow it up, so draft for immediate bench help. Damion James has an NBA body, he can defend and his offense is adequate for what we want to do.

I strongly suspect James will be gone at 19. Whether he is or isn't, I really hope Danny doesn't burn the pick on one of his ill-fated infatuations, like Yi.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2010, 06:15:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

I don't like Sanders at all - for many of the reasons you state.

Per Bulpett, we're not going to blow it up, so draft for immediate bench help. Damion James has an NBA body, he can defend and his offense is adequate for what we want to do.

I strongly suspect James will be gone at 19. Whether he is or isn't, I really hope Danny doesn't burn the pick on one of his ill-fated infatuations, like Yi.
Great minds think alike. Huge James fan as well as Quincy Pondexter, who I think has All-Star potential as he develops. James will give you that James Posey type backup behind Pierce while Pondexter reminds me more of a leaner, more athletic Pierce with a great all around game while doing nothing great.

« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2010, 12:04:00 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I haven't seen Quincy, but people in the business who I trust love him so I'd be fine with that, also.

It kills me to be pushing James, as I loathe anything Longhorn, but his skillset is a perfect fit for our needs.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #44 on: June 20, 2010, 12:14:53 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
I really like this kid from Marshall Hassan Whiteside. He is a 7 footer with a 7;6 wingspan. Averaged 5.4 blocks a game.