Author Topic: Why do people compare Kobe MJ?  (Read 7385 times)

Re: Why do people compare Kobe MJ?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2010, 03:04:31 PM »

Offline dpaps

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 88
Isn't this kind of a ridiculous question? I mean if you can't understand why Kobe would be compared to MJ, you're crazy. That's the whole point of making a comparison. We compare him to MJ and say, ok he's worse than MJ. then we compare him to vince carter and say, okay he's way better than vince. That's how we find Kobe's place in the game. I'd argue he's top 10 ever, may finish top 5 if he ends with 6,7, or 8 rings.

I'm not arguing Kobe is as good as MJ, because he's not, but Kobe is going for his 5th ring at age 31. He's the best player in the game and the closest thing to MJ we've ever had. What other player would you compare Kobe too? Kobe will fall short, but MJ is the most appropriate measuring stick for Kobe.

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2010, 03:41:33 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Because Kobe stole Jordan's swagger. Kobe has the style without the Substance. He is like Jordan's shadow their game takes the same form, but Kobe's missing the details.

I hear what you're saying but you're completely wrong.

Kobe is the best player in the world and has been for the vast majority of the last decade. He's got four titles, MVP awards, the whole list of accomplishments we could dredge up to make his case. In no way, shape or form is he style without substance.

Let me clarify. He has Jordan's same style, but without the substance. He is not even close to the same force Jordan was. I think Lebron has shown the ability to be that type of force, but he has yet to dedicate himself to winning.

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 03:44:07 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be
Because he's the closest thing we've seen to Jordan since Jordan, himself.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2010, 04:03:21 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
I personally think D-Wade is the player most like Jordan. In terms of impact and mentality which I think are more important than the stats. He may not be as skilled as Kobe or as talented as Lebron but I seem a lot more similarities to MJ with him.

The thing that made MJ MJ is that he wanted to win - he did everything out there because he wanted to win and the stats just came along as a consequence. Kobe's neediness to be in the spotlight even at the expense of winning is what sets him apart. That's not a champion's mentality at all.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2010, 04:37:12 PM »

Offline bobdelt

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 26
It makes no sense, MJ never played with the handcheck rule, if he did he would have dropped 40 every game. MJ played in a more physical time than Kobe and he still achieved more. Mj did more in the finals and achieved more in his career.

Look at the achievements of MJ:

6-time NBA Champion
6-time NBA Finals MVP
5-time NBA MVP
7-time The Sporting News MVP
10 NBA Scoring Titles
3-time steals leader
14 NBA All-Star Selections
3-time NBA All-Star Game MVP
11 All-NBA Selections
9 All-Defensive First Team Selections
2-time NBA Slam Dunk Contest Champion – 1987, 1988
NBA Rookie of the Year – 1984

How does Kobe stack up to that?

I dont know, but I have to ask, didn't you just compare Kobe to MJ?

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2010, 05:04:49 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I personally think D-Wade is the player most like Jordan. In terms of impact and mentality which I think are more important than the stats. He may not be as skilled as Kobe or as talented as Lebron but I seem a lot more similarities to MJ with him.

The thing that made MJ MJ is that he wanted to win - he did everything out there because he wanted to win and the stats just came along as a consequence. Kobe's neediness to be in the spotlight even at the expense of winning is what sets him apart. That's not a champion's mentality at all.

I agree on both the Wade comparison to Jordan and Kobe's alterior motives. Wade is another other player that I feel has shown he can be a force (ala game 4). By force I mean guys that no matter what you do to impeded or slow them down it can't be done.

« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2010, 05:57:58 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
OP forgot about Defensive Player of the Year. Kobe won't win that award.

Kobe is a big talent no doubt but he'll never be MJ and that not even close. Media's obsession about that comparison is stupid.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2010, 11:21:44 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
Jordan was the only player of his era to get officiated by his own rules.  Kobe doesn't get even a smidgen of the ridiculous star calls Jordan got.

It is a very fair comparison.  I know Kobe is hated in here.  But he's easily the best player of his era.  Championships speak to that.  Could he have won the first three championships  without Shaq?  Probably not.  But Shaq definitely wouldn't have won the first three without Kobe.  Or his 4th without Wade.  Jordan probably wouldn't have won any without Pippen either.

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2010, 11:35:00 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Jordan was the only player of his era to get officiated by his own rules.  Kobe doesn't get even a smidgen of the ridiculous star calls Jordan got.

It is a very fair comparison.  I know Kobe is hated in here.  But he's easily the best player of his era.  Championships speak to that.  Could he have won the first three championships  without Shaq?  Probably not.  But Shaq definitely wouldn't have won the first three without Kobe.  Or his 4th without Wade.  Jordan probably wouldn't have won any without Pippen either.
Jordan took it all the way to the rim a lot more than Kobe.  Kobe didn't even get to the rim at all last night, did he?  Jordan took major beatings, too.  Plays that would be flagrants now were just regular fouls then.  I remember a lot of games where Jordan willed his team to victory by repeatedly beating his man then getting pummelled by the secondary defense and getting to the line.  Kobe doesn't do that kind of thing.

« Reply #24 on: June 14, 2010, 11:54:50 AM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471

You mean if you put Pierce or KG or, heck, even Vince Carter or T-mac with Shaq in his prime...those teams don't a ring or two?  Really?  And the idea that Kobe might have won championships without Shaq?  Give me a break.  Maybe if you put him with Duncan on the Spurs, but take Kobe off those Laker teams and put him on ANY other team besides SA and Kobe never even sniffs a championship.

As somebody said on ABC last night, Kobe is an incredible shot-maker.  He's maybe even better at that than Jordan.  But in every other aspect of the game, MJ is clearly superior.

Mike

« Reply #25 on: June 14, 2010, 11:58:32 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Because he's the best 2 in the league since Jordan.

« Reply #26 on: June 14, 2010, 01:23:39 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Plese, this is BS comparison. There is a big difference between winning it as the main star or being somebody's number 2. Shaq was the most dominant player in the NBA during those 3 titles, finals MVP and Kobe was just his apprentice.  Shaq would have won those titles with another decent two at his side.

Can you imajine MJ being somebofy's number two? Of course not. That was his team, his finals MVP. You cannot make Kobe's first 3 titles = MJ's whatever 3 titles.

Why is 'the best player of his era' as you call him won only one league MVP and one finals MVP so far? He also lost 2 finals already (soon to become 3) with some embarrassing performances. He never elevated his game to another level in playoff like MJ, he will be never be as good defender as MJ (one of the best stealers ever, defensive player of the year), and on offensive end the only thing Kobe does better is that he has more range. 
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #27 on: June 14, 2010, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 732
that's easy >>>>>>>>>>>

they play the same position on their respective teams, both literally (shooting guard) and figuratively (franchise leaders who have titles). very similar games - both offense and defense. both great 1-on-1 players who share a habit of taking over games to the detriment of their teams.

speaking of overrated (from another thread today) ...... i take the position both these guys are overrated !!

are you stunned by my claim ?? here's why ........

kobe does as much harm as good both on and off the court, great, great talent who is amazing under pressure and has been a winner. but he does not make the players around him better and without another superstar, it's not that his teams fall a little short of titles - they go into the tank (as in 42 - 40 & no playoffs). plus he is a total jerk to his teammates and everyone else for that matter. his ultimate agenda is rotten to the core, for kobe titles are a means to an end, the end being his own personal glory - that's really what the guy is about and it shows.

jordan - also a great talent who is even more amazing under pressure and was obviously a winner. i'd say his motives were basically pure (titles for titles sake). but he also did not make the players around him better - other than them being afraid of the guy if they didn't play well. but his ultimate flaw was he played in a weak league and would never have won 6 titles in the 80's - may not have won any. the 72-win team that everyone worships would have never beaten the '86 Celts or '87 Lakers. just not enough talent there for the Bulls. even Mike & Mike in the Morning (yes, espn guys) have said the Celts & Lakers of the 80's would have "mopped the floor" with Jordan's Bulls teams.

another reason these guys are constantly compared is the media's obsession with getting on their knees and slobbering all over the latest & greatest player of any current era and claiming them to be the best of all time - most of the media has little knowledge, much less appreciation for, teams and players from the past.
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce