Author Topic: TV Show Recommendations?  (Read 30014 times)

Re: TV Show Recommendations?
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2011, 05:13:24 PM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 593
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2011, 05:19:06 PM »

Offline 18isGREATERthan72

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 34
I HIGHLY recommend Dexter.  Such a great and original series.  The first two seasons are available instantly on Netflix, and the rest are available on DVD.

Also, I just got done watching Spartacus: Blood and Sand, and Spartacus: Gods of the Arena.  It's like the story of Gladiator, with the production style of 300.

Both good watches.

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2011, 05:24:21 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Camelot

I liked it. HBO series Rome meets Sword IN The Stone. I've only seen the first epi though..are there more?

Only 2 episodes have aired, the 2nd episode is already available.

So much has happened in these 2 episodes...not as slow as I predicted beforehand.

It really has been a unique and interesting retelling of the story.

« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2011, 05:51:06 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I HIGHLY recommend Dexter.  Such a great and original series.  The first two seasons are available instantly on Netflix, and the rest are available on DVD.

I like Dexter, but it really turned me off when (Minor Spoilers) Rita spent a season convinced that Dexter was a heroin addict, based solely on a cryptic conversation with him.  She was married to a junkie for Pete's sake!  It never crossed her mind that this dude has zero track marks and never seems intoxicated?  Really pulled me out of that plotline.  And then the next season starts and she doesn't mention it or ask why he's not going to meetings anymore.  Bleh.  Good series overall though.

Some recs of mine:

- Arrested Development (DVD)
- Eastbound and Down
- Mr Show with Bob and David (DVD)
- Children's Hospital
- Wondershowzen (DVD, go for Season 1)
- Frisky Dingo (DVD, watch in order or it won't make sense)
- Tosh.0

« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2011, 06:03:43 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
True Blood on HBO
Dexter on Showtime - One of my most favorite shows ever.

Regular TV

Outsourced: suprisingly very funny to me
Family Guy is great but you said no animation
Supernatural is awesome as the writers are very creative, I keep waiting for them to run out of ideas but they never do.
The Event seems pretty good.
30 Rock

My all time favorites were Six Feet Under, Lost, Carnivale, X-Files, Invasion, King of Queens, 24
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2011, 06:07:15 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

I like Dexter, but it really turned me off when (Minor Spoilers) Rita spent a season convinced that Dexter was a heroin addict, based solely on a cryptic conversation with him.  She was married to a junkie for Pete's sake!  It never crossed her mind that this dude has zero track marks and never seems intoxicated?  Really pulled me out of that plotline.  And then the next season starts and she doesn't mention it or ask why he's not going to meetings anymore.  Bleh.  Good series overall though.

Some recs of mine:

- Arrested Development (DVD)
- Eastbound and Down
- Mr Show with Bob and David (DVD)
- Children's Hospital
- Wondershowzen (DVD, go for Season 1)
- Frisky Dingo (DVD, watch in order or it won't make sense)
- Tosh.0

Season 4 cures everything though...That season is amazing, John Lithgow does an awesome job.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2011, 06:11:54 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
frisky diego's spirit is alive in Archer.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #67 on: April 05, 2011, 10:49:18 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
what is borgias
Showtime series about the Borgia family.  Rodrigo Borgia (Jeremy Irons) became Pope Alexander the Second in 1492.  He openly had two families and his eldest son was a cardinal during his time as pope.  He bribed his way to the Papal Throne (happened in the first episode) and he and his family did whatever it took to stay in power (including murder - also happened in the first episode).  

The Borgias are widely regarded as the first true crime family and the Godfather (as well as other "crime families") is loosely based on them.  

First episode was pretty good.  A bit slow, but I'm sure it will pick up now that the key players have been introduced.  
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #68 on: April 05, 2011, 11:03:27 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
A big recommendation I missed the first time:

- Venture Brothers.  Probably a good idea to watch this in order too.  But it's one of the best and funniest deconstructions of comic book "reality" ever made.  Can't wait for the new season.

« Reply #69 on: April 05, 2011, 11:06:07 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

- Venture Brothers.  Probably a good idea to watch this in order too.  But it's one of the best and funniest deconstructions of comic book "reality" ever made.  Can't wait for the new season.

You've somehow managed to clone my DVR, and I'm pretty sure that's a felony. Lemme guess...you also forgot Lucy, Daughter Of The Devil, Modern Family, and Community.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #70 on: April 05, 2011, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I have been really enjoying the Event.  I think its great and is a great replacement for any lost or 24 fans.  But its not as annoying as lost(at least so far).

Also, Parks and recreation is one of the funniest shows on tv right now IMO
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16

« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2011, 11:14:54 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most

You've somehow managed to clone my DVR, and I'm pretty sure that's a felony. Lemme guess...you also forgot Lucy, Daughter Of The Devil, Modern Family, and Community.

Just the first one - it's a travesty it got canceled.  I've only seen a little Modern Family/Community, though I liked them both fairly well.

I mostly don't DVR series, though, so the shows I watch tend to be on later at night when I have time. 

« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2011, 01:53:34 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11845
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
My favorite shows on TV

Criminal Minds. -About FBI Behavioral Analysis Unit

Leverage - great show with action and humor

Breakout Kings - new show from producers of Prison Break - Cons enlisted to help track down prison escapees. 

« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2011, 02:38:18 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
I'm surprised at the lack of Battlestar Galactica recommendations. Not sure if the OP is still checking this thread, but if you liked Lost, watch BSG. Similar sort of storytelling, ensemble cast, mix of mythology and drama. It's basically Lost + The West Wing + I Robot. I'd claim that some of the BSG characters have more depth than those on Lost. It's also not as nerdy as it looks. But be warned, if you disliked the Lost finale you might find the BSG finale similarly disappointing.

« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2011, 03:27:53 PM »

Offline yelkao

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 17
THE WIRE is great, and Arrested Development is the funniest show i've ever seen.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 03:35:01 PM by yelkao »