Author Topic: TV Show Recommendations?  (Read 30007 times)

Re: TV Show Recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2010, 09:23:36 AM »

Offline Green Pride

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
friday night lights is perhaps the best non cable drama ever made. watch one episode and you will be hooked.

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 09:27:40 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
friday night lights is perhaps the best non cable drama ever made. watch one episode and you will be hooked.

Ack.

Don't know how I forgot this one. I LOVE this show. LOVE IT.

The marriage at the heart of FNL is one of the most convincing and honest I've ever seen.

Family values in the best sense, rather than the political one.

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 09:37:06 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

Breaking Bad (2008 - Present) - Best series on TV imo. Dark comedy/drama/suspense/action...actually pretty much has everything.

I've heard great things about this, but I've never seen it.  Same thing with Mad Men and Sons of Anarchy.

A lot of people I know also like It's Always Sunny In Philadelphia, but again, I haven't seen it.

For Breaking Bad - if you ever wanted to see a certain "take" about how a person would react once he has faced a life/death changing event, this is a "take" you shouldn't choose LOL. (But, the things we do for love, family etc....)

Mad Men - not everyone is going to like this show, the premise is actually quite boring and not very entertaining to be sure....I mean who cares about advertising in the 50's or 60's? Not me. I don't know why even I like this show except it has great acting performances and the story lines for each character are enthralling & interesting to keep me glued for each episode. January Jones and Christina Hendricks are not hard to look at by the way. Just saying...

Sons of Anarchy - Are the misadventures of a biker gang really that interesting that you can make a quality & entertaining enough of a show? I would have never guessed. (But then again, I would have never guessed how one can mess up Heroes and they did). This show is like "The God Father", but in another forum...throw in some Shakespeare's Hamlet & it is quite entertaining.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 09:43:31 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker

Agreed.

Lost is my favorite broadcast series. But FNL is the better show. Better performances, better at extracting and inducing emotions...better produced.

Lost has its share of flaws, but because it is my favorite show I can tend to overlook them.

FNL has like virtually no flaws.

Best quality show on broadcast TV = Friday Night Lights

On Cable = Breaking Bad, Dexter (a close second), Damages/Sons of Anarchy (tie for third)

Most critically acclaimed but you are not sure why = Mad Men

Edit: Justified has had a pretty darn good start, but still too early to make full judgment. Can get a better idea after the 1st season finishes.

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 09:46:19 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

Agreed.

Lost is my favorite broadcast series. But FNL is the better show. Better performances, better at extracting and inducing emotions...better produced.

Lost has its share of flaws, but because it is my favorite show I can tend to overlook them.

On Cable = Breaking Bad, Dexter (a close second), Damages/Sons of Anarchy (tie for third)

Nice.

We have essentially the same taste save for Lost, which I watched all the way through but never thought was that great.

Where are you on True Blood? I haven't seen it yet.

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2010, 09:48:00 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
I thought the first season of Damages was superb. The second season was good but clearly dropped off from the first. The third was fairly mediocre and quite disappointing.

The first season was absolutely outstanding. Excellence.

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2010, 09:52:21 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker

Agreed.

Nice.

We have essentially the same taste save for Lost, which I watched all the way through but never thought was that great.

Where are you on True Blood? I haven't seen it yet.

I like True Blood, but have not had the time to finish watching Season 1... so I am behind quite a bit.

I feel it is more of a guilty pleasure show than a must watch show each week for me. (May change once I get caught back up).

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2010, 09:55:32 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
I thought the first season of Damages was superb. The second season was good but clearly dropped off from the first. The third was fairly mediocre and quite disappointing.

I agree, 1st season was the best & highest quality.

But I couldn't pull away from the mysteries of S2 and S3.

I just had to find out how it will all finish.

But yea, S1 was like the Matrix and S2/S3 were like the sequels but not as abysmal as the Matrix sequels.

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2010, 09:58:09 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

But yea, S1 was like the Matrix and S2/S3 were like the sequels but not as abysmal as the Matrix sequels.

The real downside of this show (which I do like) is Rose Byrne who simply cannot hang with Glenn Close. She was miscast from the start.

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2010, 10:02:56 AM »

Online celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 574
It's a little tough since I don't know what sations you have, but here's a few.

Starz-
Party Down
Gravity

HBO-
Treme
Hung
The Wire (on demand)

Showtime-
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
Weeds
Califorication

Reg. TV-
Modern Family
30 Rock
House- not as good as it used to be, but still okay.
FNL    

There's a few to check out.    

« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2010, 10:04:46 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker

The real downside of this show (which I do like) is Rose Byrne who simply cannot hang with Glenn Close. She was miscast from the start.

I don't know who could hang with Close, to be honest.

I think they were looking for a good, proper, "girl next door" to play the protagonist lawyer and Rose Byrne has that friendly look imo. She has a certain innocence & gullible-ness that could be corrupted.

But I don't buy Rose Byrne as an evil diabolical persona where she can stand toe to toe against Glenn Close.

« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2010, 10:08:35 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
It's a little tough since I don't know what sations you have, but here's a few.

Starz-
Party Down
Gravity

HBO-
Treme
Hung
The Wire (on demand)

Showtime-
Nurse Jackie
Dexter
Weeds
Califorication

Reg. TV-
Modern Family
30 Rock
House- not as good as it used to be, but still okay.
FNL   

There's a few to check out.   

Party Down, Californiacation and It's Always Sunny in Philly are pretty good comedies....but they are acquired taste comedies imo.

They aren't for everyone.

Modern Family & Community are more in line with "main stream" comedy & possible more applicable to the general viewing public.

All of the above are fun and enjoyable/entertaining to watch.

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2010, 10:13:37 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Modern Family is a great show.  Also I've been watching Chuck.  Pretty interesting show as well.  Entourage was great in early seasons, got a little stale later on so hopefully it picks up in this upcoming season.
do it

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2010, 10:14:34 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

I don't know who could hang with Close, to be honest.

I think they were looking for a good, proper, "girl next door" to play the protagonist lawyer and Rose Byrne has that friendly look imo. She has a certain innocence & gullible-ness that could be corrupted.

But I don't buy Rose Byrne as an evil diabolical persona where she can stand toe to toe against Glenn Close.

Yeah - didn't buy Byrne as a double-crosser either. Nor could I ever believe her as a great lawyer, or even a good one.

The show had a lot of great supporting turns - Martin Short and Ted Danson were both great playing against type.

As far as hanging with Glenn Close - you're right - it's no easy task. Michael Chiklis did it brilliantly on the The Shield (actually, he hung with Forest Whittaker too; Chiklis is a tremendous actor).

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 10:18:15 AM »

Offline feckless

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 93
The Wire , The Wire, The Wire!  Nothing else is even close.

Current shows= Justified, Treme & The Good Wife.

I may have to try Breaking Bad also.
Days up and down they come, like rain on a conga drum, forget most, remember some, don't turn none away.   Townes Van Zandt