Author Topic: Could JUCO's become the new one-and-done?  (Read 3327 times)

Could JUCO's become the new one-and-done?
« on: June 07, 2010, 11:05:10 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
I had been thinking about this for awhile.  And after today's MLB draft, with the first overall pick being a kid who dropped out of high school as a 10th grader, went to a JUCO and then declared early being drafted at 17 years old, I'm wondering if future basketball players will use JUCO's as breeding grounds.

With the current system in place many young players are taking the one-and-done route.  This is starting to breed apparent corruption (well more so than before anyway) in the college ranks.  We will see if Brandon Jennings starts a trend of players going overseas for a year, but until that happens I wonder about JUCO's.

With most D1 schools an athlete (I'm saying athlete as opposed to student-athlete because that is what it has become) can still play while registering for only 3 semester hours.  However with a trimester grading period the first grades come out before the season has really gotten underway (not that this has been a problem), in a quarter system the grades come out just in time for conference tournaments. 

If the players went to a JUCO they would only need to enroll in one class (it could be a PE credit like...um...I don't know...Basketball).  Based on a lot of JUCO basketball schedules they would be done with their season before the first grading period came (early to mid-January).  Or if they went to a school that did have a tournament I'm sure they could at least pull a "D" in their one class.

Granted JUCO's, for the most part, have star driven programs.  They can be well coached, but most times they are not.  It is very star driven, even if the star is nothing more than a streetball player.  I just don't see how that is different than a transcendently dominant high school player.  JUCO's are not run under the NCAA, so they can't be sanctioned, and I'm sure it would be easier to meet a Wordwide West or the like without the interference of the NCAA (not that they do much now anyway).

Just a short time ago NBA scouts started attending HS games, will they be sitting at West Boboville Community College in the future?

Re: Could JUCO's become the new one-and-done?
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2010, 11:29:31 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I think elite NBA prospects would be better off going the high school and college route.  They're probably facing a higher level of competition than they are in junior college, especially at the elite programs, which only helps their draft stock.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2010, 06:24:22 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
If the kid is mature enough, Europe might be the new path of the one and done. 

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2010, 08:05:53 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
The NBA's probable best option is to create a minor league for players to join after high school before they're eligible for the draft.  something a little more organized than the current NBDL (although that league could be reorganized to be this type of league).

The league could serve as an opportunity for high-schooler graduates (no dropouts) to be drafted in a special high-schooler draft by the league, signed to a reasonable contract and use the opportunity to play against better talent while learning the game and learning some life lessons.  The rules for such a league would have to be hammered out in detail but it would be something similar to the current draft where if a player makes themselves eligible for that draft, they must sign with the team for the designated pay scale and if they choose not to, forfeit eligibility in the regular draft for 2 years as a penalty.  Make the initial contracts guaranteed for 2 years (maybe 3) so that the player has some reasonable time to develop to the point where the NBA team that drafted them can decide if they should move on to the big league.  This league could also be filled with some college players or Euro players as well (like the current D-league).

It would help remove the current farce of players going to college for 1 year, give teams a chance to evaluate very young players while maintaining their ability to evaluate college/Euro talent that's been around a while and give these kids a chance at seeing if they're good enough or need to re-evaluate their lives and get a different life plan (while making a decent paycheck).

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
The NBA's probable best option is to create a minor league for players to join after high school before they're eligible for the draft.  something a little more organized than the current NBDL (although that league could be reorganized to be this type of league).

The league could serve as an opportunity for high-schooler graduates (no dropouts) to be drafted in a special high-schooler draft by the league, signed to a reasonable contract and use the opportunity to play against better talent while learning the game and learning some life lessons.  The rules for such a league would have to be hammered out in detail but it would be something similar to the current draft where if a player makes themselves eligible for that draft, they must sign with the team for the designated pay scale and if they choose not to, forfeit eligibility in the regular draft for 2 years as a penalty.  Make the initial contracts guaranteed for 2 years (maybe 3) so that the player has some reasonable time to develop to the point where the NBA team that drafted them can decide if they should move on to the big league.  This league could also be filled with some college players or Euro players as well (like the current D-league).

It would help remove the current farce of players going to college for 1 year, give teams a chance to evaluate very young players while maintaining their ability to evaluate college/Euro talent that's been around a while and give these kids a chance at seeing if they're good enough or need to re-evaluate their lives and get a different life plan (while making a decent paycheck).

I agree.  I think in fact, that there are a couple prospects from this upcoming draft who went to the NBDL instead of college last year.

I would like to see the NBDL change so its more like the AHL (the NHL's minor league) or AAA baseball.  I think All-Rookies (that means even the instant contributors like John Wall's, the Kevin Durant's the Lebron James's) should play a certain number of NBDL games before they are "called up".

Think about how long it takes a typical baseball player to get called up to the majors (sometimes as many as 3 or 4 seasons), even hockey (usually a full season unless the player is incredible).  This would give the NBDL a better reputation, as well as improving the NBA's product.

Think about Darko Milicic playing a year or two for the Sioux Falls Skyforce this may have rewritten history for him.  Instead of sitting the bench on a stacked Detroit team he could have trained, learned Detroit's system and then get called up later.  Another would be Adam Morrison on the LA D-fenders (worst name ever?).  He is never going to play for the Lakers, ever, but if he could learn the system (without losing confidence) maybe he could after a year or two.

I don't think it would get to where baseball is (say someone like Kevin Garnett rehabbing in Maine for a few weeks after an injury) but it would improve the overall quality.

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2010, 02:20:11 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I agree.  I think in fact, that there are a couple prospects from this upcoming draft who went to the NBDL instead of college last year.

I would like to see the NBDL change so its more like the AHL (the NHL's minor league) or AAA baseball.  I think All-Rookies (that means even the instant contributors like John Wall's, the Kevin Durant's the Lebron James's) should play a certain number of NBDL games before they are "called up".

Think about how long it takes a typical baseball player to get called up to the majors (sometimes as many as 3 or 4 seasons), even hockey (usually a full season unless the player is incredible).  This would give the NBDL a better reputation, as well as improving the NBA's product.

Think about Darko Milicic playing a year or two for the Sioux Falls Skyforce this may have rewritten history for him.  Instead of sitting the bench on a stacked Detroit team he could have trained, learned Detroit's system and then get called up later.  Another would be Adam Morrison on the LA D-fenders (worst name ever?).  He is never going to play for the Lakers, ever, but if he could learn the system (without losing confidence) maybe he could after a year or two.

I don't think it would get to where baseball is (say someone like Kevin Garnett rehabbing in Maine for a few weeks after an injury) but it would improve the overall quality.

I have though that would be a great idea except for the money of it.  Not every team can afford a second franchise and find a good location for it.

Then again, the WNBA is being kept a float.  Has that turned a profit?

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 02:34:54 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens

I have though that would be a great idea except for the money of it.  Not every team can afford a second franchise and find a good location for it.

I don't know about the WNBA making a profit.  And I know very little about marketing, but I would give the minor league teams to cities that were mid-sized and close by.

For example:
Boston has an affiliate in Portland, ME
Atlanta should have on in Savannah
Toronto in Buffalo, NY
Orlando in Tampa Bay
New Orleans in Birmingham, AL
and so on

People in Providence do go to Providence Bruins and Pawtucket Red Sox games.  Also these cities should be close by so that fans can follow future prospects (like how all Sox fans know about Clay Buchholz) and in these smaller cities people would support the team especially if future stars (my example of Durant, Wall, James, Milicic, and Morrison) were playing on the team.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2010, 08:18:47 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

I don't know about the WNBA making a profit.  And I know very little about marketing, but I would give the minor league teams to cities that were mid-sized and close by.

For example:
Boston has an affiliate in Portland, ME
Atlanta should have on in Savannah
Toronto in Buffalo, NY
Orlando in Tampa Bay
New Orleans in Birmingham, AL
and so on

People in Providence do go to Providence Bruins and Pawtucket Red Sox games.  Also these cities should be close by so that fans can follow future prospects (like how all Sox fans know about Clay Buchholz) and in these smaller cities people would support the team especially if future stars (my example of Durant, Wall, James, Milicic, and Morrison) were playing on the team.
I don't think the finances are as much of an issue if the entire league pays for it.  The players would hopefully be on a payscale so the leauge would have fairly well defined costs for salaries and other items.  I don't think it's unfeasible for the NBA to maintain this type of a league.  The idea of having all players start in this league isn't a bad idea but that one would probably be fought tooth and nail by the teams that get the John Wall types in the draft because they need the immediate help.