Author Topic: Magic (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) Game 6 5/28  (Read 93394 times)

Magic (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) Game 6 5/28
« on: May 27, 2010, 10:32:45 PM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11843
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Orlando Magic (2-3,10-3) at Boston Celtics (3-2,11-5)
Friday, May 28
8:30 PM ET
Post Season Game #16, Home Game #8
TV: ESPN
TD Garden

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
vs
Rajon Rondo vs Jameer Nelson

Shooting Guard
vs
Ray Allen  vs Vince Carter

Small Forward
vs
Paul Pierce  vs Matt Barnes 

Power Forward 
vs
Keven Garnett  vs Rashard Lewis 

Center
vs
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight "the Elbow" Howard

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Michael Finley
Brian Scalabrine
Glen Davis
Tony Allen
Marquis Daniels
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette   

Injuries
Glen Davis (concussion) game time decision
Rasheed Wallace (back spasms) game time decision
Marquis Daniels (concussion) questionable
Tony Allen (ankle)  probable
Rajon Rondo (back spasms)  will play

Key Player

Rajon Rondo makes the Celtics go.  When Rondo is aggressive and playing well, the Celtics are tough to beat.  He has been battling back spasms and has two off games and it's not surprising that the Celtics lost those two games. 

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Mickael Pietrus
JJ Redick
Ryan Anderson
Brandon Bass
Anthony Johnson
Adonal Foyle
Jason Williams

Injuries
None (of course, since they are the ones doing the injuring)

Key Player

Dwight Howard has been allowed to get away with countless moving screens and hip checks on Rondo.  He has been allowed to throw his elbows around and injure players without any penalty  other than for the Celtics to be called for the fouls that Howard committed.   If this is allowed to continue, there is not much the Celtics can do to stop him. 

Game Notes
Celtics once again have a chance to close out this series.  After going up 3-0 and looking invincible, the Celtics have lost their defensive intensity and they have given the Magic confidence.  Now, the lack of focus and intensity in game 4 is coming back to haunt them. 

They are coming into game 6 bruised and beaten.  Big Baby is a game time decision with a concussion.  Rasheed is a game time decision with back spasms.  Rondo has been battling back spasms.  KG was reportedly walking off the court gingerly after game 5.  And Perk is precariously perched on the edge of a suspension should he get one more technical. 

The Celtics are on their home court, but that hasn't always been a good thing this season, although they blew out the Magic in their first game at home in this series.  Maybe the Celtics will get a little better treatment from the refs in this one.  The Celtics will need to leave it all out on the court in this one because this is their game 7.  They just can't think that they have one more chance after this one.  This is it, because the longer the series goes, playing every other night, the more the chance that the Magic will win it. 

Key Matchups
  vs 
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard 
Howard has dominated in the past two games because of Perk being limited by foul trouble or ejected.  Perk has got to play Howard tough but smart and keep him from getting to his spots in the paint.  Hopefully the refs will  let Perk play in this one.  The way I see it, they owe him one. 

vs 
Rajon Rondo vs Jameer Nelson
Rondo was incredible in games 1-3  and the Celtics won them.  He has been tentative and out played by Jameer Nelson in games 4 and 5 and not surprisingly, the Magic won. Like Perk, Rondo has been plagued with foul trouble right from the start of games.   Rondo has to be aggressive on both ends of the court but without picking up early fouls.  He also must set the pace of the game and keep the Celtics offense moving.

Honorable Mention

The Celtics bench has been great in this series but now there is a major question mark there.  Sheed and Big Baby are both game time decisions and Tony Allen has been struggling with a sprained ankle.   Doc has had to go deeper into his bench with all the injuries and foul trouble and the results haven't been all that successful.   The Celtics reserves must come through for the team to have a chance to win.  The starters can't do it by themselves. 

Keys to the Game

Defense -  Defense wins championships isn't just a saying. It is an absolute fact.  The Celtics' defense was amazing in games 1-3.   But in games 4 and 5, they allowed the Magic way too many open and easy shots.   They seemed to lose their defensive focus.  Terrible officiating may have something to do with it. But, the Celtics must find a way to deal with the refs and win anyway.   Defense is the key.  They have to get back to playing the tough in your face defense that won the first 3 games. 

Rebounding - Second to defense is rebounding.  The team that is more aggressive on the boards will get more second chance baskets and more fast break points.  So much of rebounding is effort and desire as is evident when the shortest guy on the court can come up with a lot of rebounds.  In game 5, the Magic out rebounded the Celtics 43-26.  The Celtics can't win when they give up that many rebounds.   The team that wants it more will show it in their rebounding numbers. 

Hustle and Intensity -  The Celtics must go after every loose ball and every rebound.  They have to set the tone with their hustle and their intensity.  If they do that, they can take the Magic out of the game early as they did in the first 3 games.  In games 4 and 5, it was the Magic who got all the hustle plays and if the Celtics want to win this game they have to turn that around.  The team that wants it more and gets the hustle plays will get the game. 

Play 48 Minutes - The Celtics must come out with focus early and get the jump on the Magic right from the start.  They can't let the Magic get off to a fast start or to build a lead.  The Celtics must also not let up.  They have a habit of fading in the 4th quarter, whether from fatigue or lack of focus, but they can't afford to do that.  They have to put out the effort from the opening tip until the final buzzer.

Run the Offense -  The Celtics must run their offense and move the ball and find the open man.  In games 4 and 5, the ball was getting stuck and there was too much dribbling around and too many iso's and too many players trying to do it themselves.  They have to trust the offense and play as a team.  They can only win this if they play as a team.  No hero ball. 

X-Factor
Officiating
As we saw in game 5, the officials can have a huge effect on a game.  Let's hope that after the way the Celtics were absolutely taken out of the game by the refs in game 5, they owe us one and they will call it fairly.  Maybe even give the Celtics the benefit of a few calls.   

Re: Magic (2-3) at Celtics (3-2) Game 6 5/28
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2010, 10:47:44 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5350
  • Thumper of the BASS!
SCALABRINE!!!!!

i love that dude

he is the chosen one...

haters will soon be believers

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2010, 10:50:37 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
thanks again for setting up a fabulous thread. tp as ever.

by the way, could you maybe put lots and lots of shamrocks all over the page for good luck???  ;D

i do NOT want to page for game seven of this series, so if you could give the celtics a tiny boost with good luck charms, i would appreciate it.

go celtics!!!!!!!!!
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2010, 10:58:03 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Injuries
None (of course, since they are the ones doing the injuring)

LOL QFT. TP FLCF. Let's go Celtics! Rebound, defend, focus, stay healthy and close this one out.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2010, 11:24:26 PM »

Offline lovely_20

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 46
  • Jesus Saves
TP FL, for another superb job!  :D

All we need to do is come out strong, play hard (esp. the DEFENSE from gms 1-3), and we should be fine.  And the Big Three + One need to have a good game.
"Basketball is like poetry in motion, cross the guy to the left, take him back to the right, he's fallin' back, then just J right in his face. Then you look at him and say, "What?""

Jesus Shuttlesworth, "He Got Game"

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2010, 02:44:05 AM »

Offline thebat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
Read this:

WE WILL WIN THIS GAME 6!
It will be over for Orlando.

« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2010, 03:01:45 AM »

Offline Ahlaker

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 0
I've managed to convince myself that there is no way the C's lose this game.  Fans won't let them lose, Rondo/PP/Ray/KG won't let them lose ... and the Magic won't let them lose in Boston!  With all due respect to those Orlando boys, I think they're just waiting to be blown out.

« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2010, 03:34:46 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Thanks again, FlCeltsFan, for another great preview, (TP). All I ask is that our boys give their all ... if they do so, I have no doubt about the outcome. Go Celtics!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 05:04:49 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
I expect Howard to avoid fouls. After averaging a foul every 7 minutes in the Magic's first 2 playoff series and every 10 minutes during the season, Dwight has improved to only 1 foul per 12 minutes in this series which has so far featured very little physical contact on his part or between the teams. This is more impressive given that the Magic won only 2 of the 5 contests(40%)so far whereas the Magic won 67 of 93 of its other contests (74%) thus contradicting the usual trend that players foul more in losses.

Dwight's improvement comes after leading the NBA in personal fouls during the season, tying for the lead in technical fouls during the season, and leading the NBA in personal fouls through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs continuing the trend he had set in last year's playoffs. In those playoffs, Dwight had 22 more fouls than anyone else despite being suspended for 1 game for a blatant elbow to the head of Samuel Dalembert which the refs curiously only called a technical foul during the game. Unfortunately for Dwight, there was actually video of the televised game, and after an uproar the NBA was forced to suspend Howard who had pleaded that he never intended to hurt anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-WCRxs5uw
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 06:27:38 AM by colincb »

« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2010, 06:51:09 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
OK, enough is enough! Tonight we're going to blow these cats out of the building, as KG would say.

I definitely feel good about this game, I just feel like we really can't lose this one. All the "odds" are against us, Orlando regaining confidence, the media claiming they will make an historic comeback, etc.

And despite Baby and Sheed playing through injuries (if playing at all) I think we will destroy them. It would be great to lead by 10 points or more early, thus Orlando would burst under pressure and it would be over like in game 3.

TP FL, let's go Celtics, finish them!!

« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2010, 07:01:02 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL! Thank You for The Post!

ESPN writing us off again...I think we are the only 3 - 2 Team in the History of the NBA that is going to lose a 7-game series that was up 3-0, according to ESPN.

Let's put ORL away, C's! They are a Quality Opponent, but they must go!

« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2010, 07:13:49 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
We should win given there isn't another game 5 screwjob on the horizon.

C's by 121

« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 09:05:48 AM »

Offline Dr H

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 11
I'm confident we'll win tonight. The morning of Game 5 I had such a nervous(and not in a good way) feeling about the game I wasn't sure how it would play out and I said myself I'm confident they'll win..but we all know what happened. Today I'm feeling great, and know they can pull this out. I'm hoping all the shenanigans that went on in game 5 will light a huge fire under these Celtic's asses. Doc knows they can't allow 30+ points in 1 quarter alone, heck even 25+. 210% defensive effort, intensity, and hustle will all be NEEDED in the first quarter to knock Orlando in the face and push them into submission. I don't see Orlando making as many ridiculous shots tonight as they did in game 5, either.

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2010, 09:37:50 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
Referees: Monty McCutchen, Mike Callahan,  Ken Mauer

Full Ref report here:
http://celticsgreen.blogspot.com/2010/05/todays-official-report-528-game-6.html

« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2010, 09:41:05 AM »

Online FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I expect Howard to avoid fouls. After averaging a foul every 7 minutes in the Magic's first 2 playoff series and every 10 minutes during the season, Dwight has improved to only 1 foul per 12 minutes in this series which has so far featured very little physical contact on his part or between the teams. This is more impressive given that the Magic won only 2 of the 5 contests(40%)so far whereas the Magic won 67 of 93 of its other contests (74%) thus contradicting the usual trend that players foul more in losses.

Dwight's improvement comes after leading the NBA in personal fouls during the season, tying for the lead in technical fouls during the season, and leading the NBA in personal fouls through the first 2 rounds of the playoffs continuing the trend he had set in last year's playoffs. In those playoffs, Dwight had 22 more fouls than anyone else despite being suspended for 1 game for a blatant elbow to the head of Samuel Dalembert which the refs curiously only called a technical foul during the game. Unfortunately for Dwight, there was actually video of the televised game, and after an uproar the NBA was forced to suspend Howard who had pleaded that he never intended to hurt anyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ-WCRxs5uw

TP for this post.  Well done.