Author Topic: Ok, i tried...But please, please, pretty please draft...Cousins (homer warning)  (Read 7006 times)

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I like Cousins, too, but we can't put together a package for him.  Our non-starters are basically garbage in the eyes of other teams.  Why trade for BBD, when the guy you'll get at #4 is probably going to be a lot better?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
In terms of athleticism, I would compare him to Eric Dampier.

And that is the reason why Cousins is highly unlikely to ever be a franchise type player. He could be a regular All-Star caliber guy, but not a top ten player.

Not athletic but a nice shooting touch unlike Dampier.

The guy can score.

Yeah, he reminds me a lot of Zach Randolph.  Decent quickness, but not a great athlete, but incredibly skilled offensively.  Unfortunately, I think he is also similar to Randolph defensively.  

Well he has the body if he is willing to put in the work to be a horse on defense. He also plays with an edge.

Unfortunately his work ethic is the major concern.

I do like our track record of taking young big guys who are a little doughy, and turning them into fit, trim, mosters down low (Perk and Big Al).

Ultimately it is all up the the kid and no one know if this guys has what it takes to make himself into a dominant center.

He is the onyl guy in the draft I would trade up for if it meant giving up Perkins and a future number one.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

And that is the reason why Cousins is highly unlikely to ever be a franchise type player. He could be a regular All-Star caliber guy, but not a top ten player.

The guy can score.

Yeah, he reminds me a lot of Zach Randolph.  Decent quickness, but not a great athlete, but incredibly skilled offensively.  Unfortunately, I think he is also similar to Randolph defensively.  

Well he has the body if he is willing to put in the work to be a horse on defense. He also plays with an edge.

I do like our track record of taking young big guys who are a little doughy, and turning them into fit, trim, mosters down low (Perk and Big Al).

Ultimately it is all up the the kid and no one know if this guys has what it takes to make himself into a dominant center.

He is the onyl guy in the draft I would trade up for if it meant giving up Perkins and a future number one.

If we were able to trade up, I would go with Favors every time.  He is more athletic, a better defender, and a harder worker.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

The guy can score.

If we were able to trade up, I would go with Favors every time.  He is more athletic, a better defender, and a harder worker.

Favors would be perfect paired with perkins. Unfortunately Perk is the only guy that is attractive in a trade besides Rondo, who is untouchable.

If I had the choice in an ideal world though I would want Favors over Cousins too.

I wouldnt want to give up the bulk of Perk unless I was getting a similar sized player in return (Cousins).

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
TP...i like what ive seen in Cousins so far.He's someone i would like to see on the Celtics in the future if we were able to get him.I doubt if we can pick him up but he might be the best pick of the draft(imo).

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The guy can score.

Favors would be perfect paired with perkins. Unfortunately Perk is the only guy that is attractive in a trade besides Rondo, who is untouchable.

If I had the choice in an ideal world though I would want Favors over Cousins too.

I wouldnt want to give up the bulk of Perk unless I was getting a similar sized player in return (Cousins).

If the C's could get Favors, I would give up Perk in a second.  KG is able to cover 98% of the Centers in the league nearly as well as Perk, and in many cases better.  Yes, we would no longer have the best Howard stopper in the league, but we would still have probably two of the top 5 Howard stoppers in Davis and Sheed, so I think it is worth it for the massive upgrade in talent.

Unfortunately, I think it is a real longshot that Perk gets you someone like Favors.

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen

The guy can score.

If the C's could get Favors, I would give up Perk in a second.  KG is able to cover 98% of the Centers in the league nearly as well as Perk, and in many cases better.  Yes, we would no longer have the best Howard stopper in the league, but we would still have probably two of the top 5 Howard stoppers in Davis and Sheed, so I think it is worth it for the massive upgrade in talent.

Unfortunately, I think it is a real longshot that Perk gets you someone like Favors.

Point taken. You have sold me on trading Perk for Favors even though you are probably right in speculating that it wouldnt be enough.

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
I've tried my best not to show my biased homerism.  I talked myself out of writing this at least 10 times.  I understand that i'll probably be called stupid, biased, and get flamed...but..

I've been so crazy fortunate to be both a kentucky wildcat fan and boston celtic fan to have names such as walker, mccarty, delk and rondo wearing blue then green.

But i cant help it, i'm greedy.  

PLEASE, PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE move up and draft Demarcus Cousins.  HE WILL BE AN NBA STUD CENTER  
There i said it.

I know i run a huge risk of looking stupid(er) if this doesnt happen, but i really believe he has the skills and body to make an immediate rotation impact and the ability/toughness to be a long term dominating presence for a team in the right situation.

He just needs the right type of players coach to motivate him (Doc) and the right type of veteran players to influence him. (Even he wouldnt say no to KG, Perk)

All the press about him being a bad person, a hot head, a weight risk has caused him to fall from a guaranteed top 3 pick to as far down as possibly 7, even though he's been called the most dominating player in the draft by some.  Despite wall's skills, he is the type of big man that rarely comes around.  His PER numbers and production on limited minutes were AMAZING this year and steadily increased throughout the year.

To dispell some of the myths that may cause him to fall..

He's Out of shape and could be Oliver Miller 2.0 after making his millions...   False.  He was never made to work in high school and dominated despite being largely out of shape.  His conditioning improved dramatically, and can be seen in his increased numbers and conditioning throughout the college year.

He's an emotional risk, hothead, character issue, etc...   False.  He has a temper.  He plays with a chip on his shoulder with something to prove.  He's a tough player.  He is NOT a bad person.  Off the court, he's a video game playing child.  It was often reported that during team dinners, he would often be found playing video games and goofing off with coach cal's kids.  He's a ham in front of the camera, and doesnt shy from the spotlight.  He's a reporters dream for an interview.  Just ask his alter ego boogie.  = )

As far as availability, philly and NJ have both said they would be open to trading their pick for the right price..  
Send Sheed, Send Baby (whom i love), Send TA, Take your pick of any 2 non starters..  I just want Cuz in Green.

While i'm at it, please buy either minnesota's or memphis's first round picks.  Rumors have had them wanted to dump one or more of their multiples, and its a deep draft.  I need some summer league surprises.  = )

I hate to ask, but with your description--is he an idiot?

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
From what I've hear of this guy, he could range from Moses Malone to Micheal Olowakandi (attitude and work ethic).  A younger Eddy Curry(Chicago days) is probably more like it.  Big scorer without the ability to be a top notch defensive player.

I'd love to see him next to Big Al in Minnesota.  Al should be at the 4.

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I think the only way to get up high enough would be to move someone like KG or Pierce to a team like NJ if that can convince Lebron or someone on that level to sign and need a complimentary player.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
From what I've hear of this guy, he could range from Moses Malone to Micheal Olowakandi (attitude and work ethic).  A younger Eddy Curry(Chicago days) is probably more like it.  Big scorer without the ability to be a top notch defensive player.

DeMarcus Cousins rebounds the ball too well for that comparison.

More like Al Jefferson or Zach Randolph if he fails to learn defense.

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71

DeMarcus Cousins rebounds the ball too well for that comparison.

More like Al Jefferson or Zach Randolph if he fails to learn defense.
That's why I wanted to stress the "younger" part in the Eddy Curry comparison.  I just hope he's more Moses than Olowakandi.