Author Topic: Deadliest Warrior on Spike TV  (Read 6262 times)

Deadliest Warrior on Spike TV
« on: May 25, 2010, 12:21:02 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deadliest_Warrior

This show is kinda awesome if not a little odd and contrived.

Re: Deadliest Warrior on Spike TV
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2010, 12:35:24 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I think it could be done a little better, but it's a good show.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2010, 12:36:37 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
I like the show...I've watched almost all the episodes...I agree, its odd and a bit contrived :)

What I don't like though is that they try to match fighters that use stone carved weapons against fighters that use iron/bronze weapons...not fair game :)

And that doctor is just plain annoying.
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2010, 12:42:13 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I find the trash talking annoying and they seem to not bring in key elements like armor or the number of bullets or whatnot.

Also when the SS used the flame thrower. It's devestating. I get it. But wouldn't the whole pack blow up if it gets hit by a single bullet?

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2010, 12:46:51 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
The Apache beat the Gladiator with stone and the Spartan with bronze beat the ninja with steel

I think Pirate vs Knight was most unfair technologically

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2010, 02:27:44 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I'm not a big animal rights guy but it has occured to me it's pretty lame to kill a pig for the express purpose of blowing it up just to see how much damage an obsolete weapon does, and would therefore do in a fictional hypothetical fight between warriors of completely different geographical and historical places, while we simultaneously say Vick is a monster.

I figure a pig is worth a little more than that.

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2010, 06:19:34 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
sounds cool....when is it on?

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 09:46:34 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/13/un-deadliest-warrior-battle-show-pits-zombies-vs-vampires/?hpt=hp_c2

zombie vs vampire tomorrow at 9 on Spike TV.  The fight I've always wondered about

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 09:54:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
http://geekout.blogs.cnn.com/2011/09/13/un-deadliest-warrior-battle-show-pits-zombies-vs-vampires/?hpt=hp_c2

zombie vs vampire tomorrow at 9 on Spike TV.  The fight I've always wondered about

Haha.  Sweet.

I've got to go with vampires here.  They're just quicker, and I don't think zombies have the coordination to use the spike through the heart technique.  Vampires have a big disadvantage in terms of not being able to come out during the day light, but I'm sure they can find a place to chill out.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Haha.  Sweet.

I've got to go with vampires here.  They're just quicker, and I don't think zombies have the coordination to use the spike through the heart technique.  Vampires have a big disadvantage in terms of not being able to come out during the day light, but I'm sure they can find a place to chill out.
Could a vampire potentially just fly away? But won't the vampire eventually hit a numbers problem where they are severely outnumbered?

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2011, 10:05:49 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Some of their experts can barely handle their weapons.  Still this show isn't bad.  It's entertaining and that is the point of TV.   It's relatively educational on the weapons and warrior types.   But some of it is pure fantasy.  Some plate armor could stop a shot.   Some of it has test marks.  But at close range with a brace of pistols I would not say this could happen with as much certainly.   Firearms succeeded more so for their fear factor and ease of use to train soldiers than their raw killing power.  Casaulty rates in early gunpowder battles were low until one side broke then began the slaughter.   A bow had higher rates of fire and more accuracy until the firearms became rifled which wasn't for a  few hundred years but it takes years to make a good bowman.  A gun user can be trained up in weeks.

But I can swing and cut with a sword or knife better than most anyone they had on their show.  I hewn a two and half oak branch in twain with a sword though it's heck on the sword.   It's imperative when weilding steel that  you hit at a proper angle.  The edge or point needs to be about 90 degree when it contacts the service for maximum penetration.  I always laugh when a I see a knife held point down for a stab as real combat shows a point up stab can more easily penetrate or go under the ribs.  Also the weak points in the skull are easier to hit with the point up, ie base of the skull and chin.  These maximizes your chance of a kill and penetration.  With point down bones may stop or deflect some of the killing power.  The ribs are more effective as is the skull.  Some guys on the show do not execute this technique and their poor cutting power or pentration shows.

I thought the Viking and Apache guys were the best with their weapons.  The Apache guy was good.  Still the Viking guy was not powerfully built.   Most historical references refer to the Vikings as large men.   Large men = bigger targer for ranged weapons but more power in hand to hand.

It's hypothetical fun but Zombie vs. Vampire really depends on what kind of Zombie or Vampire.  If it's Bram Stroker vampire then they would fight on their own terms with Mist form and bat flight.  Their powers of mesmerism would be useless against the mindless zombies.   Vampires are stronger of the two reputed to have the strength of twenty men.  Zombies do not tire and Vamps have to sleep during the day.  In some literature Vamps have necromantic powers and can control the undead too.  Would a zombie even target a vampire, I doubt it as they are already dead, right?

Vampires could control  and mainpulate men to fight the Zombies too.  More than likely they would live amoung humans to protect their stock.  So who did Spike have winning?

Right now the zombies are winning TV and the vamps the movies in terms of popularity.

« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2011, 10:13:36 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Haha.  Sweet.

Although which kind of vampire you're using here matters (as well as what kind of zombie), Vampires in a hard win.

Faster, stronger, and can't become zombies. Plus, they're freakin immortal. they can kick zombie butt for 7 hours or so each night, sending hundreds or thousands of zombie corpses to the floor, then they just find a nice abandoned house and flip a bathtub over themselves.

Vampires win hard.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2011, 11:39:36 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Zombies wouldn't be interested in Vamps as Vamps are already dead.  Vamps could just walk around ripping off Zombie heads without being attacked.

« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2011, 12:00:43 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
I've noticed how many of us are on here at all hours. We clearly have some undead among us here. I'm sure a few of us have insider info on this

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2011, 12:13:30 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
I'm sorry, but that episode sounds horrible.  The two reasons to watch the show are the weapons and the history.  And here we are talking about 2 races with so many different historical accounts/descriptions it's not even funny, as well as 0 signature weapons.

I have no clue how you can take that and come up with a fair battle.  Never-mind a computer-simulated battle that relies on accurate weapon specs, soldier abilities, strategies, etc.

And that's not even taking into account, (as many people have already mentioned) that it's a one-sided fight.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale