Author Topic: Dwight Howard thanks god at the end of game 4  (Read 12202 times)

Re: Dwight Howard thanks god at the end of game 4
« Reply #30 on: May 25, 2010, 01:09:35 AM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
With all due respect to God, Dwight should have thanked the officials first and foremost for swallowing their whistles at some pretty important moments, allowing him and Jameer to stay on the floor for much longer than they deserved.

Folly. Persist.

« Reply #31 on: May 25, 2010, 01:11:06 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
With all due respect to God, Dwight should have thanked the officials first and foremost for swallowing their whistles at some pretty important moments, allowing him and Jameer to stay on the floor for much longer than they deserved.

Maybe the game WAS fixed. And Howard was covertly thanking David Stern. Code Name: God.

Actually, I'd watch that TV series. God inhabiting the body of David Stern.

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:50 AM »

Offline GeoDim

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 22
Just to be clear: this thread wasn't intended to attack anyone's religion.  It's just that Howard's holier-than-thou schtick makes me really dislike an otherwise very likable person. 

It would be the same if he were to thank his mother after every win.  His mother may be a very nice lady, but it's not necessary to thank her after every insignificant victory.  When you accomplish a major feat, by all means, thank your mother...even thank god!  There's just a time and a place for everything.

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2010, 01:20:54 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm pretty sure god is a Magic fan and lost a lot of money on game 1.

« Reply #34 on: May 25, 2010, 01:22:44 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785

Maybe the game WAS fixed. And Howard was covertly thanking David Stern. Code Name: God.

This is So Funny that you both mention this.

I'm sure you all know Bahku - in the Lakers-PHX game thread last night, he and I think Redz made a suggestion that the Refs would do a job on us after PHX extended their series ;D.

The Reffing wasn't That Bad tonight, but there were a handful of questionable ones.....and in a close game like this one, all you need is one or two questionable calls.....

« Reply #35 on: May 25, 2010, 01:24:21 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

This is So Funny that you both mention this.

I'm sure you all know Bahku - in the Lakers-PHX game thread last night, he and I think Redz made a suggestion that the Refs would do a job on us after PHX extended their series ;D.

The Reffing wasn't That Bad tonight, but there were a handful of questionable ones.....and in a close game like this one, all you need is one or two questionable calls.....

And there were the usual few questionable calls here and there on both sides.  But it had nothing to do with the outcome. Orlando won. Boston lost. That's it.

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:21 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
Just to be clear: this thread wasn't intended to attack anyone's religion.  It's just that Howard's holier-than-thou schtick makes me really dislike an otherwise very likable person. 

It would be the same if he were to thank his mother after every win.  His mother may be a very nice lady, but it's not necessary to thank her after every insignificant victory.  When you accomplish a major feat, by all means, thank your mother...even thank god!  There's just a time and a place for everything.

TP!

There is certainly a time and a place for everything. You stated what I couldn't.

You have to remember also: Dwight is young. He is sure of his faith, but still young.

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:25 AM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Just to be clear: this thread wasn't meant to attack anyone's religion.  It's just that Howard's holier-than-thou schtick makes me really dislike an otherwise very likable person. 

People like Howard like to that their recognized god for their "blessings". No big deal.

Doesn't necessarily mean that they believe that their deity of choice was on their side or intervening in the game, though some might think that. Heck, almost anything we can imagine is believed by someone.

I find it annoying just because I find it silly. Still, I cannot fault him for the thanks (though I might fault him for his actual beliefs)

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
I think that overall, no matter how we all think about God, we cannot be upset about Dwight's statements, and God certainly doesn't hate Boston.

While I don't think that God concerns himself with the Flow of a Basketball game, I cannot help but wonder at the fact that we have had SO MANY great players pass through this organization....Red, Bill, Heinsohn, Cousy, Cowens, Walton, Larry, Kevin, Parish, Paul, KG, Ray, Rondo, etc.....

God must have a soft spot for us after all, ya think?

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2010, 01:43:45 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
I think that overall, no matter how we all think about God, we cannot be upset about Dwight's statements, and God certainly doesn't hate Boston.

While I don't think that God concerns himself with the Flow of a Basketball game, I cannot help but wonder at the fact that we have had SO MANY great players pass through this organization....Red, Bill, Heinsohn, Cousy, Cowens, Walton, Larry, Kevin, Parish, Paul, KG, Ray, Rondo, etc.....

God must have a soft spot for us after all, ya think?

This is what I think too. God loved us for most of the 60s. Got bored with us in the 70s. Loved us again in the 80s. Then we had some major falling out with God around the time of Bias and Reggie. And he let us think about what we had done for about 20 years. Then we finally made up with God around 2007. Ever since? Totally sympatico.

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2010, 01:47:47 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
This is God's good green earth after all, yes? ;)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2010, 01:54:50 AM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170

TP's, Stern is the master of the puppets... don't you remember those TV ads??

And the Celtics just knocked out one of his precious puppets in the Semis. They better play with heart, and Rondo better show up on wednesday, because the gifts from the officials today will pale compared to what the master's zebras can do in Orlando.

I bet the good beats evil, and the Celtics win in Mordor, causing a huge pain in Stern's eye.

don't be so harsh on Coward, he's just a boy

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2010, 01:55:17 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

C'mon now...do you and G-Wrench always have to be so sarcastic and mock evey post(er) that says that the refs were terrible in this game...reason why we lost etc etc. You know one day someone with a short fuse might just lose it and say/post something that will be "against the rules"....sure the mods will be forced to take some sort of action...but is this kind of tone really going to make you ,or others who use such tone, popular/liked/respected on this blog? I'm sorry...this isn't against you personally...but there is quite a bit of sarcasm from every poster here that does not subscribe to the "ref job" theory....sarcasm that is totally uncalled for...
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #43 on: May 25, 2010, 02:06:24 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney

C'mon now...do you and G-Wrench always have to be so sarcastic and mock evey post(er) that says that the refs were terrible in this game...reason why we lost etc etc. You know one day someone with a short fuse might just lose it and say/post something that will be "against the rules"....sure the mods will be forced to take some sort of action...but is this kind of tone really going to make you ,or others who use such tone, popular/liked/respected on this blog? I'm sorry...this isn't against you personally...but there is quite a bit of sarcasm from every poster here that does not subscribe to the "ref job" theory....sarcasm that is totally uncalled for...

Actually, I was trying to be funny rather than mocking anyone. YMMV on the results.

But since you asked - there is an enormous amount of ref-bashing and fix-is-in talk in the archives of this blog. And it certainly appears to be baseless from everything I've seen. Certainly, if others can espouse their conspiracy theories, those of us who do regard them as baseless should be able to make our points too? 

« Reply #44 on: May 25, 2010, 02:13:11 AM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides

Actually, I was trying to be funny rather than mocking anyone. YMMV on the results.

But since you asked - there is an enormous amount of ref-bashing and fix-is-in talk in the archives of this blog. And it certainly appears to be baseless from everything I've seen. Certainly, if others can espouse their conspiracy theories, those of us who do regard them as baseless should be able to make our points too? 

Sure...make your point...and make it aggressively if need be....but it doesn't have to be dripping with sarcasm and notes of mockery. I know that the refs/officiating get a lot of blame for some losses....but that doesn't give you the right to reply with a sarcastic post....and please don't use YMMV as a cop out...maybe you were being funny this time...and if you were, then I'm sorry that my sense of humour sucks...but its pretty obvious that not all posts are funny...
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi