Author Topic: Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas  (Read 11472 times)

Re: Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2010, 09:05:43 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I really think the Cavs would be a good fit if Lebron stays of course.  If the Wizards really want to dump him, you might even be able to get a protected future pick out of the deal.

Something like this for the Cavs (again assuming Lebron is willing to stay)

Wizards trade
Arenas
2011 lottery protected 1st (top 10 protected 2012, top 3 protected 2013, unprotected 2014)

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson
Telfair (if he takes his option) or Powe if Telfair doesn't

That would give the Cavs a guy, who if healthy, would be a legitimate #2 scorer and a future 1st rounder.  
Wondering why the Wiz trade for two PGs  and an undersized shooting guard when they will be drafting Wall and have Randy Foye?

Of course, getting rid of Arenas is the most important thing, but I don't see that package being any more attractive than just buying out Arenas. Of course if paying out cash for nothing in return isn't the way to go, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

to get rid of Arenas they are going to have to take some sort of crap back.  But crap with less years, less money owed and less headaches seems to be a much better option for them.  They could then either buy Williams out or try to trade him for expiring contracts at the deadline.

Frankly, I don't expect them to get anybody as good as Williams, even.  They're going to have to accept garbage players and/or garbage contracts, or they're not going to be able to trade him. 

My question is:  just how intolerable is he?  Wasn't he sort of viewed more as a goofball off the court (with his blog, etc..).....Sometimes jokesters think that nothing they do could be dangerous...they can't imagine that their actions could be interpreted as anything but harmless fun....Does Gilbert fit this jokester mold, having now learned his lesson that yes, he too can do harm with a brainless act?  Or, is he a certifiably menacing character......

I ask because a whole lot of dumb actions that people do stem from the person believing to the depth of their soul that they are obviously quite harmless (then they eventually learn....woops...I really screwed/scared/damaged that person)

Apparently, the gun issue was a big one in the locker room.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2010, 09:05:51 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really think the Cavs would be a good fit if Lebron stays of course.  If the Wizards really want to dump him, you might even be able to get a protected future pick out of the deal.

Wizards trade
Arenas
2011 lottery protected 1st (top 10 protected 2012, top 3 protected 2013, unprotected 2014)

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

That would give the Cavs a guy, who if healthy, would be a legitimate #2 scorer and a future 1st rounder.  
Wondering why the Wiz trade for two PGs  and an undersized shooting guard when they will be drafting Wall and have Randy Foye?

Of course, getting rid of Arenas is the most important thing, but I don't see that package being any more attractive than just buying out Arenas. Of course if paying out cash for nothing in return isn't the way to go, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

to get rid of Arenas they are going to have to take some sort of crap back.  But crap with less years, less money owed and less headaches seems to be a much better option for them.  They could then either buy Williams out or try to trade him for expiring contracts at the deadline.
This I agree with but think they won't handicap themselves by being too stupid. There's just zero need to take have that many similar players at the same position on one team.

I think they could do a deal with Philly or Toronto for equally bad contracts that net them players at different positions. But no matter how you slice it either the contracts they get back will be equally or more horrible or the talent of the player they get will, like Eddie Curry for example.

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2010, 09:40:17 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Regardless of the multiple boneheaded acts, Arenas remains a premier perimeter player. Before the injury this season, he averaged something close to 24 points and 8 assists, so if he stays healthy he's still a major threat, which is part of the reason why he hasn't been traded away yet -- it's hard to replace the production.

Injuries, of course, are a concern, but I can easily see a franchise that's desperately looking to put itself on the map, or a contender who needs an upgrade to take a roll on his health.

The teams that came to mind first: Cleveland (Arenas and Blatche for Williams, Gibson, and Vareajo) or the Timberwolves (Arenas and Blatche for a package centered around Al Jefferson).

This would get rid of two headaches at the same time, while clearing up the field for a franchise constructed around John Wall.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2010, 09:58:54 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Regardless of the multiple boneheaded acts, Arenas remains a premier perimeter player. Before the injury this season, he averaged something close to 24 points and 8 assists
No he's not, he's one of the worst defensive players in the entire league. His 24 and 8 comes with a high usage and a pretty awful TS% for a PG. (.511)

If he was scoring as efficiently as he was during his peak (.560) then you can live with his decision making. If you then add the uncertainty that his injury and antics add in, he's far from a premier player in the league.

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:00 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Wizards trade
Arenas

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

Frankly, I don't expect them to get anybody as good as Williams, even.  They're going to have to accept garbage players and/or garbage contracts, or they're not going to be able to trade him. 

My question is:  just how intolerable is he?  Wasn't he sort of viewed more as a goofball off the court (with his blog, etc..).....Sometimes jokesters think that nothing they do could be dangerous...they can't imagine that their actions could be interpreted as anything but harmless fun....Does Gilbert fit this jokester mold, having now learned his lesson that yes, he too can do harm with a brainless act?  Or, is he a certifiably menacing character......

I ask because a whole lot of dumb actions that people do stem from the person believing to the depth of their soul that they are obviously quite harmless (then they eventually learn....woops...I really screwed/scared/damaged that person)

Yes.  But he had problems before that too, didn't he?  I'm just wondering if he has any friends in the NBA, any allies?  Or is he so intolerable that he didn't manage such a thing before committing his crime.....

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2010, 10:07:46 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

Wizards trade
Arenas

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

This is why Dallas is the right destination. He'll be a hero in Texas.

« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2010, 10:35:01 AM »

Offline blackbird

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 64
If the teams want to re-arrange their bad contracts, this four-team trade works:

DETROIT trades Villaneuva and Gordon, gets Elton Brand

PHILLY trades Brand, gets Jose Calderon and Charlie Villanueva

TORONTO trades Turkoglu and Calderon, gets Gilbert Arenas

WASHINGTON trades Arenas, gets Hedo Turkoglu and Ben Gordon

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2010, 10:38:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I thought Leonsis wanted to keep Arenas?

Anyway... it would be a smart move to move him but good luck with that. I just don't see a team desperate/stupid enough to trade for Arenas and his terrible contract.
Arenas for Rashard Lewis.  Lewis is a lesser player but not quite the cancer that Arenas is.
Sorry, someone beat me to this one.

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Regardless of the multiple boneheaded acts, Arenas remains a premier perimeter player. Before the injury this season, he averaged something close to 24 points and 8 assists
No he's not, he's one of the worst defensive players in the entire league. His 24 and 8 comes with a high usage and a pretty awful TS% for a PG. (.511)

If he was scoring as efficiently as he was during his peak (.560) then you can live with his decision making. If you then add the uncertainty that his injury and antics add in, he's far from a premier player in the league.
First, Arenas is not a PG. He's a player in whose hands you put the ball and he makes stuff happen. Second, there are players who aren't going to put this type of numbers even with high usage. As compared to the field, Arenas is a premier player at his position. Guys like Delonte West, Derek Fisher, or Carlos Arroyo aren't -- even though some teams might want to have one of these rather than Arenas.

So the fact remains, Arenas is the guy who can get it done. And your argument does not affect the fact that it is likely that some GM out there will be desperate enough to gamble on this production.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2010, 12:01:15 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533

Wizards trade
Arenas

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

that's why I had the future first also going to cleveland
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2010, 12:33:35 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
How "desperate" is desperate for Washington?

Would Boston be willing to take Arenas for the right deal?

Arenas, Blatch and draft picks for S/T Ray,Daniels and Sheed

It would have to be another Zadrunas deal where Ray and Sheed get bought out. Wiz can keep Daniels.
We get Arenas as our 6th man PG/SG. Blatch gets to work alongside KG and outplay BBD. And we get draft picks to build more around Rondo/Perk
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2010, 12:45:49 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
How "desperate" is desperate for Washington?

Would Boston be willing to take Arenas for the right deal?

Arenas, Blatch and draft picks for S/T Ray,Daniels and Sheed

It would have to be another Zadrunas deal where Ray and Sheed get bought out. Wiz can keep Daniels.
We get Arenas as our 6th man PG/SG. Blatch gets to work alongside KG and outplay BBD. And we get draft picks to build more around Rondo/Perk
No thanks to Arenas.  He's way too expensive and probably unwilling to be a 6th man.  Plus with he and Blatch, say goodbye to ubuntu forever.  Arenas should be a starting shooting guard on a team with a bad point guard.  He dominates the ball too much to pair with good pg.  It would be a waste.  Arenas=Allen Iverson.

« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2010, 01:07:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

First, Arenas is not a PG. He's a player in whose hands you put the ball and he makes stuff happen. Second, there are players who aren't going to put this type of numbers even with high usage. As compared to the field, Arenas is a premier player at his position. Guys like Delonte West, Derek Fisher, or Carlos Arroyo aren't -- even though some teams might want to have one of these rather than Arenas.

So the fact remains, Arenas is the guy who can get it done. And your argument does not affect the fact that it is likely that some GM out there will be desperate enough to gamble on this production.
He starts at PG, guards the opposing PGs, and dominates the ball to initiate the offense. How is he not a PG?

I'll disagree with you on his "numbers" at that usage. I'd much rather have a low usage efficient guy. Jacking up shots at TS% .510 is no way to win.

« Reply #43 on: May 24, 2010, 01:09:01 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
No one should touch Gilbert.

1) The contract.

2) the gun issue

3) Not a winner.  

4) Immature in the lockerroom.