Author Topic: Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas  (Read 11504 times)

Re: Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2010, 06:43:34 PM »

Offline greg683x

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 585
If they wanna get rid of him, it's gonna have to be a buyout, or else at the very least wait until the trade deadline next year.

Arenas a potential free agent now......Nowitzski, potentially opting out in Dallas....

This summer is gonna be like a fantasy basketball draft!

Greg

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2010, 06:51:30 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
What about Rashard Lewis for Arenas?

If we don't draft a wing, Mike Miller is a guy I'd look at, too.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2010, 07:53:49 PM »

Offline Rondo_is_better

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
  • R.I.P. Nate Dogg
I'm sure they were desperate to dump him even before they got John Wall. He hasn't played more than a third of a season in 3 years! What a bum. He's also a criminal who obviously makes poor decisions.

John Wall s just another giant straw on the camel's already broken back.
Grab a few boards, keep the TO's under 14, close out on shooters and we'll win.

« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2010, 07:58:13 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
maybe Cleveland could S+T Lebron for Gilbert...that'd be adding insult to injury
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2010, 08:14:10 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
This is sort of like reading a headline like:

"The Sun Will Rise in the East Tomorrow!"

Really? You think?

The fact that the Wiz want to get rid of Arenas might just be the most obvious sports story of the last 12 months. Problem is, as more and more of these stories come out, it only goes to show just how hopeless a cause the Wizards have.

There are very few teams with enough bad contracts to want to swap bad contracts. Then combine that with the fact that of those teams, many don't need the public relations mess of trading for a gun slinging moron.

I feel for this franchise because their former owner really was a good man. They don't deserve the mess that Arenas and Crittendon caused them. unfortunately, we here in Boston understand that sometimes, bad things happen to good franchises that deserve better. Hope the first pick is the turnaround for them and they don't have to go through the decades of crap like we did.

« Reply #20 on: May 23, 2010, 08:23:33 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really think the Cavs would be a good fit if Lebron stays of course.  If the Wizards really want to dump him, you might even be able to get a protected future pick out of the deal.

Something like this for the Cavs (again assuming Lebron is willing to stay)

Wizards trade
Arenas
2011 lottery protected 1st (top 10 protected 2012, top 3 protected 2013, unprotected 2014)

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson
Telfair (if he takes his option) or Powe if Telfair doesn't

That would give the Cavs a guy, who if healthy, would be a legitimate #2 scorer and a future 1st rounder. 
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #21 on: May 23, 2010, 08:32:46 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
LeBron and Arenas don't belong on the same team.

Both guys are FAR too big primadonnas to work well together.  Both guys want/need to be the center of attention, and aren't going to work well if the other guy's getting all the love.

LeBron and Bosh would work, because Bosh seems pretty low-key.  He's not really that super-duper-alpha-dog-star type.

LeBron and Wade might work, mostly because Wade has shown that he can co-exist with a force of personality (Shaq).

LeBron and Arenas; I can't see either guy wanting that.  LeBron going to be happy with Arenas hogging the ball?  Arenas going to be happy when 95% of the Cavs' coverage is still on LeBron? 

Washington's stuck.  Of all the teams mentioned as possible landing spots, not a one of them makes any sense.  Besides, teams will just wait it out, since they *know* Washington's in a pretty desperate situation.

If Gil's a free agent, he'll get contract offers from twenty teams.  As a trade, I can't see anything.  I can't imagine what kinds of crap are being offered for Arenas right now that Washington's turning down.

« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2010, 08:33:21 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I really think the Cavs would be a good fit if Lebron stays of course.  If the Wizards really want to dump him, you might even be able to get a protected future pick out of the deal.

Wizards trade
Arenas
2011 lottery protected 1st (top 10 protected 2012, top 3 protected 2013, unprotected 2014)

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

That would give the Cavs a guy, who if healthy, would be a legitimate #2 scorer and a future 1st rounder.  
Wondering why the Wiz trade for two PGs  and an undersized shooting guard when they will be drafting Wall and have Randy Foye?

Of course, getting rid of Arenas is the most important thing, but I don't see that package being any more attractive than just buying out Arenas. Of course if paying out cash for nothing in return isn't the way to go, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2010, 09:08:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Arenas has 4 yrs 80 mil. left. He was actually pretty decent last year until the gun thing. So, who would want him? Off the top of my head...

I think the biggest problems are:

1) The contract.  Nobody wants that albatross on their cap, especially as we're approaching a new CBA;

2) The health issues.  Arenas basically missed two complete seasons with knee injuries.  Nobody wants to take on that gamble;

3) The character issues / lack of leadership.  People just don't like being around Arenas, which leads to a fractured locker room.  I mean, the dude pulled a gun on his own teammate.

Based upon the above, I don't think any team will trade for him.  If he's bought out, yes, I can see many of the teams you listed offering a contract.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2010, 09:14:19 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Arenas has 4 yrs 80 mil. left. He was actually pretty decent last year until the gun thing. So, who would want him? Off the top of my head...

I think the biggest problems are:

1) The contract.  Nobody wants that albatross on their cap, especially as we're approaching a new CBA;

2) The health issues.  Arenas basically missed two complete seasons with knee injuries.  Nobody wants to take on that gamble;

3) The character issues / lack of leadership.  People just don't like being around Arenas, which leads to a fractured locker room.  I mean, the dude pulled a gun on his own teammate.

Based upon the above, I don't think any team will trade for him.  If he's bought out, yes, I can see many of the teams you listed offering a contract.

I don't think it's likely, and I wouldn't want him on my team, but don't forget how many "untradeable" players have been traded!

« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2010, 09:47:16 PM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
LeBron and Arenas don't belong on the same team.

Both guys are FAR too big primadonnas to work well together.  Both guys want/need to be the center of attention, and aren't going to work well if the other guy's getting all the love.

LeBron and Bosh would work, because Bosh seems pretty low-key.  He's not really that super-duper-alpha-dog-star type.

LeBron and Wade might work, mostly because Wade has shown that he can co-exist with a force of personality (Shaq).

LeBron and Arenas; I can't see either guy wanting that.  LeBron going to be happy with Arenas hogging the ball?  Arenas going to be happy when 95% of the Cavs' coverage is still on LeBron? 

I agree and disagree about Lebron and Gilbert.  I agree with what you said because it does seem to agree with recent history and popular opinion, but I think because they are so similar, they would end up being best friends!!  Can't you imagine one of them doing some dance after a spectacular play and the other one falling over laughing???  I can picture it in my head.  I really think that they could fill the roster with role players and both of them still getting 20 shots per night, while Gilbert will defer as a #2 to Lebron.  I think he realizes by now that he can still be clutch and a great player, while not being the team's number 1 option every possession.  Because you can trash Gilbert all you want, but he wants to be a winner.  He's got that intensity about him when close games come to an end.  I really want to see this happen.

But there is a serious problem working out a trade between the 2 teams.  Mo Williams has to end up on one of the 2 teams and that would make him a 3 yr/26M backup point guard on either team.  Can't have that.  So I think you need to work a 3rd team into the trade.  Who wants Mo Williams?  NYK take him and send Curry to Washington? 

Cleveland trades: Mo Williams, Leon Powe, Boobie Gibson
Cleveland gets: Gilbert Arenas

NYK trades: Eddy Curry
NYK gets: Mo Williams

Washington trades: Gilbert Arenas
Washington gets:  Eddy Curry, Leon Powe, Boobie Gibson

Thoughts??
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2010, 08:24:42 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549
I really think the Cavs would be a good fit if Lebron stays of course.  If the Wizards really want to dump him, you might even be able to get a protected future pick out of the deal.

Wizards trade
Arenas

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

Wondering why the Wiz trade for two PGs  and an undersized shooting guard when they will be drafting Wall and have Randy Foye?

Of course, getting rid of Arenas is the most important thing, but I don't see that package being any more attractive than just buying out Arenas. Of course if paying out cash for nothing in return isn't the way to go, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

to get rid of Arenas they are going to have to take some sort of crap back.  But crap with less years, less money owed and less headaches seems to be a much better option for them.  They could then either buy Williams out or try to trade him for expiring contracts at the deadline.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2010, 08:42:42 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
What about Rashard Lewis for Arenas?

If we don't draft a wing, Mike Miller is a guy I'd look at, too.

I was thinking that too.  Lewis is just as big a bust.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2010, 08:45:24 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Wizards trade
Arenas

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

to get rid of Arenas they are going to have to take some sort of crap back.  But crap with less years, less money owed and less headaches seems to be a much better option for them.  They could then either buy Williams out or try to trade him for expiring contracts at the deadline.

Frankly, I don't expect them to get anybody as good as Williams, even.  They're going to have to accept garbage players and/or garbage contracts, or they're not going to be able to trade him. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2010, 08:54:18 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386

Wizards trade
Arenas

Cavs trade
Williams
Gibson

Frankly, I don't expect them to get anybody as good as Williams, even.  They're going to have to accept garbage players and/or garbage contracts, or they're not going to be able to trade him. 

My question is:  just how intolerable is he?  Wasn't he sort of viewed more as a goofball off the court (with his blog, etc..).....Sometimes jokesters think that nothing they do could be dangerous...they can't imagine that their actions could be interpreted as anything but harmless fun....Does Gilbert fit this jokester mold, having now learned his lesson that yes, he too can do harm with a brainless act?  Or, is he a certifiably menacing character......

I ask because a whole lot of dumb actions that people do stem from the person believing to the depth of their soul that they are obviously quite harmless (then they eventually learn....woops...I really screwed/scared/damaged that person)