Author Topic: Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas  (Read 11498 times)

Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas
« on: May 23, 2010, 04:08:48 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Former Washington Times reporter John Mitchell writes for TheGrio.com that the Wizards are committed to removing Gilbert Arenas from the roster before next season.

According to a source, the team will "definitely consider buying out" Arenas' contract if he cannot be traded.

The Wizards will select John Wall with the first overall pick and, according to two league sources with knowledge of the team's future plans, will do everything in their power to make sure that Wall is never in the same locker room as Arenas.

One source with intimate knowledge of the team's plans says that Ernie Grunfeld does not want Arenas anywhere near Wall.

Grunfeld and Arenas used to share a strong relationship but they have barely spoken over the last two months.

Link.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Report: Wizards are desperate to dump Arenas
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 04:11:46 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I thought Leonsis wanted to keep Arenas?

Anyway... it would be a smart move to move him but good luck with that. I just don't see a team desperate/stupid enough to trade for Arenas and his terrible contract.

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 04:36:18 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
No one will trade for his contract, a buyout will probably happen. I just don't want to see Arenas going trough the same situation Marbury did
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 04:40:26 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
If onle Zeke was still a GM... You can only count on him to make the wrong decision.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2010, 04:51:51 PM by misha »
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Didn't they have the chance to terminate his contract?
do it

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »

Offline mgent

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1962
There's a surprise.
Philly:

Anderson Varejao    Tiago Splitter    Matt Bonner
David West    Kenyon Martin    Brad Miller
Andre Iguodala    Josh Childress    Marquis Daniels
Dwyane Wade    Leandro Barbosa
Kirk Hinrich    Toney Douglas   + the legendary Kevin McHale

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 04:57:34 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
The NBA needs to do like the NFL with partially guaranteed or non guaranteed contracts.  This would stop people from taking seasons off until contract years.  It would help in situations like with Arenas. Of course people could then tank to be cut and sign on with contenders.

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2010, 04:58:50 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Didn't they have the chance to terminate his contract?

Well, it would have been a difficult legal battle, but I'm surprised they didn't make the attempt.  It's not entirely black-and-white, but they certainly could have made a compelling enough case that Arenas' actions were sufficient to warrant his contract being voided.

In the end, there probably would have been a settelement/buyout.  They're in a much worse negotiating position today.  

How much of this is related to the new owner coming in and wanted to start over fresh>

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2010, 05:01:25 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 653
  • MASTER OF PANIC
total rebuild around john wall...i wish boston could go get mike miller on the open market

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2010, 05:07:45 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Can't they null his contract because of the legal trouble? If they're so desperate why don't they do that?

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2010, 05:10:29 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Who would be stupid enough to take him? He is owed 100 million! Arenas` value is at an all time low right now, they need to play him next season in order to get his value up and try and trade him at the deadline...

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2010, 05:40:32 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
The next-worst contract in the league is probably what, Elton Brand's?  That's another three years for $50M, versus four years and about $80M for Arenas.  Can't see Philly doing that, even though they would LOVE to get rid of Brand.

The only team I could possibly see making a move would be New York.  If New York successfully attracts two max-level free agents, they conceivably could add Arenas in a trade using Curry's expiring deal plus a few other contracts.  Suppose, if there wasn't a better sign and trade alternative, they could do a sign-and-trade of David Lee (something like 4 year, $40M) plus Curry for Arenas. 

New York's the only team I can see being willing to pay that kind of money for a winner.  That's contingent on the Knicks thinking that Arenas could fit in as the second or third leg of a Big Three; something like a LeBron/Bosh/Arenas pairing.

Don't think that move should be made, don't think that move WOULD be made, but it's the only possible way I see Washington being able to unload Arenas.  Unless, of course, they throw in this year's first rounder or something ;).

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 05:48:28 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Arenas has 4 yrs 80 mil. left. He was actually pretty decent last year until the gun thing. So, who would want him? Off the top of my head...

Memphis:
haven't really had a primary ball handler in a while. Could wallace put together an all-gunner team with mayo/arenas/randolph? perhaps via a Rudy Gay s&t, but is that what washington wants? would memphis do this? no idea.

Clippers:
Trade centered around Baron. Try to grab some of the spotlight off of the lakers.

Dallas:
Dallas misses out on a S&T for other big FAs. Cuban gets desperate. Trade Damp and something for Arenas. Arenas guards the opposing point while Kidd takes the SG; switch roles on offense. Like a super version of Terry, but a starter.

Cleveland:
If this is what James wants. Trade Mo and filler for Arenas. If James is staying and wants this, it's worth the money. best case scenario it works; middle road is that it doesn't but Arenas looks good and they can then deal him when he has 3 years left on his contract.

Jersey:
Capspace to absorb straight up. Maybe pick up an extra goodie (blatche?) for the favor of getting rid of that contract in a straight dump. New owner trying to make a splash.

New York:
If pre-arranged with it's FA targets. Sign Bron and Bosh. THEN trade gallinari and Curry for Arenas and a future first. NY fills in with vets, goes out with Arenas/Douglas/Bron/Bosh/Chandler in the D'Antoni system. New Yorkers get their hopes up. Washington rolls cap space over for next year to continue the rebuild and picks up a nice piece

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2010, 06:13:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Oh cool.

I have a silo full of horse manure I'd like to sell for $100 million.  I wonder if I'll find any takers?
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If onle Zeke was still a GM... You can only count on him to make the wrong decision.

I thought I read that NY would trade Curry (2 yrs left) for Arenas. If so, Zeke lives!!!
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird