Author Topic: Red Dead Redemption  (Read 5026 times)

Red Dead Redemption
« on: May 21, 2010, 09:32:29 PM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
So who here has played this game yet, the reviews coming in have been nothing short of amazing...

Case In Point:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/17/arts/television/17dead.html

I cannot wait to get my hands on this game (360 is currently being cured of a bout of red ring of death), those who have played it;

What's it like?

Has it lived up to the hype?  

It truly looks like a epic immersible experience.  

Re: Red Dead Redemption
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 10:11:22 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I was talking to a coworker who said it is amazing.

As of late, I have been focusing on older, discounted games available on Steam. I missed out on a lot of classics.

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 10:17:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'm really looking forward to this one.  A Western version of GTA?  Sign me up.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 10:32:40 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I bought it.  It's amazing.  The story is great.  Normally I'm not a big fan of multiplayer in 3rd person shooter games, but this one's free roam is very good.  I can't wait for the free DLC with the co-op missions in June.  You also basically go through with a lot of tasks choosing whether or not you want to be the good guy or the bad guy.  There are also some pretty cool side games in there like poker, horseshoes, etc.  It's a definite buy in my opinion and it might be better than GTA 4.
do it

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2010, 12:23:43 AM »

Offline SportsCapNative

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15
  • "No one Ever Really Dies"
I agree. I think the story line is great as well. I don't want to exaggerate here, but I definitely think the game, thus far, is far more entertaining than GTA 4. The game world is large and the honor system adds a bit of length to it's single player since you'll probably spend a lot of time trying to establish yourself as a good or evil character. The mini games are pretty fun, I myself spent a lot of time hunting. Its a must buy imo.

The Sports Capital of America

New England Patriots \\\'01 \\\'03 \\\'04 - Boston Red Sox \\\'04 \\\'07 - Boston Celtics \\\'08

I love Tony Allen!

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2010, 11:33:08 AM »

Offline eddietours

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 19
wow this game is sooo Big

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
My Friends are raving about it. I'm going to pick up a copy on my way home.

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2010, 02:32:40 PM »

Offline CelticHooligan3

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 130
Is it available on ps3 and if so how much is it? Thanks guys.

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2010, 02:33:47 PM »

Offline Aeacus

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 110
I'm playing it right now, had to come lookup how your supposed to duel.  The tutorial flew by when I was half paying attention.  Awesome so far although the controls are taking a little getting used to.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2010, 03:26:34 PM »

Offline bstnsportsfan3

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 23
My friend has it for ps3 and i was watching him play it...truly amazing game!
"A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals"-Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2010, 05:03:15 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Is it available on ps3 and if so how much is it? Thanks guys.

Yes (and the PS3 version has some minor content not in the 360 version).  It retails for $60.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 01:41:29 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
I bought it today on 360 and so far... so good! It's been a long time since I've played such a great game.

Everything is magnified and well done, from the soundtrack (pretty awesome musical themes + atmosphere sounds, very detailed, for instance your horse's sounds change when you're running on the ground, some wood or on some plants) to the graphics (awesome landscapes and faces modelisation), to the scenario (I just started the game but it seems interesting and the characters are well developed, the hero is classy and mysterious), to the gunfights and the rides on your horse across the countryside.

The gunfights on horses are really fun too, and overall it's fairly easy and a pleasure to travel on your horse, by walking or to fight some villains that appear randomly. The missions are quite different from one another so far.

It's funny to find the same system than in GTA but the western atmosphere is much more fun.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying the game and I'm going right back to it, I have to play the bounty hunter. 8)

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2010, 01:47:57 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
Yea this game is a blast (have it on PS3).  I was doing one mission where I had to drive some cargo in a wagon to another town while the bad guys I took it back from were chasing me.  The second round of bad guys to come after me on horseback, pulled up to my left and while I start to turn around and aim at them a train came by and ran all 3 of them over and left a big cloud of blood.  Had me laughing  ;D

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:01:26 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Heads-up on the game, it's really one of the best games ever in my opinion!

I mean, I've played it for hours and I haven't finished the first part of the story arc simply because I enjoy too much traveling through the countryside, discovering new locations, enjoying the Sun's rise or fall, tracking the train on my horse, playing the bounty hunter, helping people in distress, etc.

The "secondary" missions are just as good as the principal plot, it really is a rich universe, there is always something to do or some landscapes to look at for their beauty.

It's also a lot of fun to catch some outlaws with your lasso, then go back to the sheriff while being tracked and shot at by his complices.

The mini games are fun too, poker in the saloon and stuff like that.

I also love all the random elements, like when you're on the road and a guy stops you and asks for help. Then you get off your horse and he tries to steal it from you or shoot you. It makes you paranoid because sometimes you tend to shoot innocent people in fear of them robbing you. ;D

Anyway, great, great game, I highly recommend it!

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 01:26:53 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I thought this was about the return of Redz old name...