Author Topic: I'm liking Paul George out of Fresno State.  (Read 6535 times)

I'm liking Paul George out of Fresno State.
« on: May 21, 2010, 01:24:14 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Paul George- SF Fresno State
NBA Comparison- Danny Granger, Trevor Ariza
6'8

09/10 Averages:33min, 17pts, 7reb, 3ast, 2.2stl, .8blk
09/10 Percentages:.424 FG%, .353 3PT%, .909 FT%

STRENGTHS- long wingspan, unlimited range, forces TO's and can finish on the break
WEAKNESSES- trigger happy, not as effective off the dribble

Overall:
Quote from: NBADraft.net
Paul George will most likely be picked in the mid first round, due to his ability to stretch the defense with his deep range and quick release... He could be affective along side a strong point guard (RAJON RONDO)in the drive and dish game, as well as in transition, and can fit in nicely with teams who have big men that frequently see double teams... Strong athletes who can shoot, finish and have the potential to defend are hard to come by, and could be used by many NBA teams who lack depth at the 3 position...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERcmFdlrrXY

Re: I'm liking Paul George out of Fresno State.
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2010, 01:49:20 AM »

Offline CbrewEra

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 37
  • LETS GO BOSTON
Diggin the comparisons, looks like this kids a lot of potential at 6'8.  Says that he forces turnovers as well,  and the Celtics are all about defensive difference makers.  I think he'd be good to develop, and give paul a rest on the bench during some games.  Where is he supposd to be drafted?
"He trades like a drunk Texas oilman trying to impress a beautiful woman"

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2010, 01:59:09 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Diggin the comparisons, looks like this kids a lot of potential at 6'8.  Says that he forces turnovers as well,  and the Celtics are all about defensive difference makers.  I think he'd be good to develop, and give paul a rest on the bench during some games.  Where is he supposd to be drafted?

NBADRAFT.net has him going 17 to Chicago. So he's in our area.

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2010, 02:38:54 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
Paul George is getting a lot of hype. I won't be surprised if a lottery team reached for him. The comparison to Rudy Gay & Danny Granger alone makes it certain he'll be gone before pick #19.

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2010, 02:45:26 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Paul George is getting a lot of hype. I won't be surprised if a lottery team reached for him. The comparison to Rudy Gay & Danny Granger alone makes it certain he'll be gone before pick #19.

I still think he'll end up being comparable to Dorrell Wright.  A decent role player with good length and athleticism but not much more.  Not a bad pick by any means though.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2010, 02:55:31 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

I still think he'll end up being comparable to Dorrell Wright.  A decent role player with good length and athleticism but not much more.  Not a bad pick by any means though.

Not a terrible comparison.

Dorrell Wright with BBIQ = Rashard Lewis

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2010, 08:04:24 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
He looked good at yesterday's combine.  (Anyone else watching on ESPN3?)  Yesterday was "skills" day.

He could slide to #19, as bigs rise toward the top of the draft, as they always do.

Other guys who I thought looked good: Gordon Hayward (who reportedly is doing great against the other 3s in one-on-one drills), Lazar Hayward, Dominique Jones, and (don't laugh) Luke Harangody, who cab flat out hit the 15-18 footer. 

James Anderson couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, from what I saw, although it was of course a brief snippet.
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2010, 08:27:28 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
He looked good at yesterday's combine.  (Anyone else watching on ESPN3?)  Yesterday was "skills" day.

He could slide to #19, as bigs rise toward the top of the draft, as they always do.

Other guys who I thought looked good: Gordon Hayward (who reportedly is doing great against the other 3s in one-on-one drills), Lazar Hayward, Dominique Jones, and (don't laugh) Luke Harangody, who cab flat out hit the 15-18 footer. 

James Anderson couldn't throw the ball in the ocean, from what I saw, although it was of course a brief snippet.

Good to see Lazar Hayward doing well......I can't understand why he disappeared off of some draft boards.....

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2010, 08:58:21 AM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
This would be nice. Very nice...

« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2010, 09:18:17 AM »

Offline vwoodruff

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 45
Shooting stroke and poor FG% are a red flag

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2010, 02:14:30 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Paul George is probably my favorite prospect in this draft, at least of the ones we have a chance of getting. A  lanky 6'8 small forward with great athleticism and a good shooting touch who's only 20 years old, whats not to like? He seems to have the physical tools, nbadraft.net mentioned BBIQ as a strength, and his weaknesses work with Rondo's strengths.

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2010, 03:01:16 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
Quote from: ManUp
nbadraft.net mentioned BBIQ as a strength, and his weaknesses work with Rondo's strengths.

exactly what i was thinking.

« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2010, 07:08:16 PM »

Offline MF Doom

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 29
<object width="640" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQLROwiCSao&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/uQLROwiCSao&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="505"></embed></object>

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 10:15:36 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
This kid would be an awesome addition to our team; he solves the need of athleticism (particularly at the shooting guard and small forward positions), adds more shooting (can never have enough), has the tools to be a great defender at the 2 and 3 (thus spelling Ray and Paul), and has impressive vision and passing skills (according to nbadraft.net).  What's not to like? 

However, I worry that he will be long gone by 19, seeing as Milwaukee, Minnesota, and Miami all need a small forward (and I wouldn't be surprised if Chicago selected him either).  If we can buy the Grizzlies' pick at 12, I think we might be able to get him.  Now if we could only trade Perk for the 4th pick and select Greg Monroe, and then at 19 select Lance Stephenson, we would have a great team for both the present and the future.  Also, if we can buy Atlanta's 1st rounder, or Memphis' other two 1st round draft picks (at 25 and 28, respectively), we could potentially set ourselves up for the decade (this draft seems loaded).  It's a shame none of the above will ever happen, though. 

Just imagine a starting lineup with Monroe at center, KG at the 4, Pierce at the 3, Ray at the 2, and Rondo at the 1.  I'm salivating right now over the team passing, and with George and Stephenson coming in, it could be awesome.

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 10:57:36 PM »

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
George looks alright, I guess.  Good athleticism, good stroke from range, long arms.  On the flip side, he can't create much off the dribble and is a bit of a chucker.

All that aside, my problem is pretty simple: he's very young.  We need somebody who can step into the rotation on Day 1.  Somebody who can pick up the defensive rotations by week 1.  Somebody with enough BBIQ and maturity to find himself a role in his first year (a la Big Baby in 2008).  This is a team built for NOW, and a team dying for athleticism off the bench.  George has the athleticism, but so did Walker and Giddens.  The question we need to ask ourselves is whether George has the mental makeup, maturity and IQ to come into camp and earn a role.  If he isn't, then I don't think we can afford to use the roster and salary space it takes to pick him.

Assuming we roll with the current roster, we need a guy at 19 who can step in and make a positive contribution during the 2010-2011 season.  This means no projects.  This also means that if we draft a younger player, he better be a high character.  Anybody got a read on George's intangibles?
Folly. Persist.