Author Topic: Should New Jersey Stand Pat  (Read 6760 times)

Re: Should New Jersey Stand Pat
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2010, 06:17:47 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
they can't stand Pat....

poor Pat, whoever that is
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2010, 07:47:16 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I can't stand Pat, either.

Riley and that greased back hair that looks like it hasn't been washed since the Kennedy administration.

Gah. I loathe the guy.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2010, 10:39:06 AM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
Interesting thought, just because Washington drafts Wall doesn't mean he has to play for them. 

Back in 1993 Chris Webber was widely considered the best player in the draft (for the record Shawn Bradley was considered the second or third best).  Orlando drafted him even though they had a great young post player by the name of Shaquille O'Neal.  Orlando ended up trading Webber to Golden State for Anfrenee Hardaway and 3 future number one picks.

Whose to say that Philly doesn't draft Turner at 2 and then Jersey takes Favors at three and they trade.  Or Wall is taken one and traded to Jersey for future picks, Harris, and Favors.

I think it is not likely.  Washington is more likely to trade Arenas and Philly is more likely to trade Iggy, both before the draft (anyone in Cleveland listening there's more second tier players you could try to throw at LeBron). 

Again improbable not impossible.

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2010, 11:19:34 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Is Turner a lock for Philly at #2?

hes a lock for #2, not necessarily for Philly, but he will be the 2nd player drafted.  Someone will move up if Philly thinks its wings are too crowded, but better chance that iggy get traded

That's what I'm getting at. If Philly keeps the pick, would they take Turner? Why not Favors, or Johnson?

Philly wil take Turner because he's considered better than anyone not named Wall....so there's a drop-off after #2 (we don't know how big it is, but anyway the perception now is that there's a dropoff after Turner)  

You have to wonder about the perceptions at times, though.  Last year, the perception was that only Blake Griffen would be any good.  Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings surprised many (me included).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2010, 11:32:00 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Is Turner a lock for Philly at #2?

hes a lock for #2, not necessarily for Philly, but he will be the 2nd player drafted.  Someone will move up if Philly thinks its wings are too crowded, but better chance that iggy get traded

That's what I'm getting at. If Philly keeps the pick, would they take Turner? Why not Favors, or Johnson?

Philly wil take Turner because he's considered better than anyone not named Wall....so there's a drop-off after #2 (we don't know how big it is, but anyway the perception now is that there's a dropoff after Turner)  

You have to wonder about the perceptions at times, though.  Last year, the perception was that only Blake Griffen would be any good.  Tyreke Evans and Brandon Jennings surprised many (me included).

Part of it is time, also.....Turner, aside from being great, is ready to contribute now (probably as fast as or nearly as fast as Brandon Roy did....Roy having been a senior)

Cousins could be picked 3rd, but I think potential-wise the clear #3 pick is Favors.....it's just that he supposedly will take a good long while to be great...
That's why I think Favors would be a great pick for New Jersey......but they'll need to be patient, as I think they should be....

Anyway, my guess is that Turner will have a better overall career than Favors, but as you say, who knows?....some of these young bigs (along with Wesley Johnson) could turn out to be big-time players...

« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2010, 02:15:27 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
The third pick isn't so bad. New Jersey is still going to get a solid player, regardless of whether that player can start and contribute right away. Look at Terrance Williams - that guy blossomed into something great!

Plus if NJ can somehow woo LeBron into signing with them, no one's going to care who they end up with in the draft.