Author Topic: Should New Jersey Stand Pat  (Read 6754 times)

Should New Jersey Stand Pat
« on: May 19, 2010, 10:32:40 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Out of reach of John Wall and Evan Turner both!  Screwed by ping pong balls!

If I were them I'd say to myself, no problem, Derrick Favors is going to work out swell and give us a frontcourt for the ages along with Lopez....

Or should they trade #3 and something to Washington for John Wall (if they can't get rid of Arenas....then they shouldn't draft Wall.....one of them or both would be totally or partially wasted....)  

My advice to Nets:  Don't rush.  Stand pat and take Favors......Then be bad again next year (very likely) and you'll have shot at Harrison Barnes or Kyrie Irving.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:39:23 PM by wiley »

Re: Should New Jersey Stand Pat
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2010, 12:40:45 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
New title and a bit more specific post-lottery......  :)

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2010, 12:57:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Favours, Udoh and Aminu are all interesting options for Jersey.

Johnson and Monroe are somewhat interesting too.

I would shop the pick but if I wasn't able to get a young player with All-Star ability/potential, I would keep the pick and select one of those players.

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2010, 01:14:11 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
Is Turner a lock for Philly at #2?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2010, 01:17:12 PM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147

hes a lock for #2, not necessarily for Philly, but he will be the 2nd player drafted.  Someone will move up if Philly thinks its wings are too crowded, but better chance that iggy get traded

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2010, 01:22:51 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

hes a lock for #2, not necessarily for Philly, but he will be the 2nd player drafted.  Someone will move up if Philly thinks its wings are too crowded, but better chance that iggy get traded

That's what I'm getting at. If Philly keeps the pick, would they take Turner? Why not Favors, or Johnson?
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2010, 02:38:56 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

hes a lock for #2, not necessarily for Philly, but he will be the 2nd player drafted.  Someone will move up if Philly thinks its wings are too crowded, but better chance that iggy get traded

That's what I'm getting at. If Philly keeps the pick, would they take Turner? Why not Favors, or Johnson?

Philly wil take Turner because he's considered better than anyone not named Wall....so there's a drop-off after #2 (we don't know how big it is, but anyway the perception now is that there's a dropoff after Turner)  So, Philly will take Turner and if they want someone else more than him they'll trade Turner and try to get something extra too......(I supposed that could be worked out before the draft as well)

During the college season, there were some who felt that Tuner had a chance to take over the #1 spot from Wall.....

edit:  changed all the "Evans" to "Turners".....very embarrassing....and in my own danged thread to boot.....
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:21:08 PM by wiley »

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2010, 02:40:14 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
They already have a young all-star pg, so I'd say they should stay. Favors could be great for them.

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2010, 02:54:45 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
They already have a young all-star pg, so I'd say they should stay. Favors could be great for them.

I agree, though it may take a while, whereas Turner is going to contribute from day 1....nothing wrong with patience in this case, imo...

But if they could get Wall without giving up the castle, that would be interesting (and better for Wall...at least as things appear now).....But I think they'd have to give up not just Favors but a bunch more, making it not worth it...

edit:  another "Evans" corrected
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 03:22:29 PM by wiley »

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

I agree, though it may take a while, whereas Evans is going to contribute from day 1....nothing wrong with patience in this case, imo...

But if they could get Wall without giving up the castle, that would be interesting (and better for Wall...at least as things appear now).....But I think they'd have to give up not just Favors but a bunch more, making it not worth it...

Who is Evans? Do you mean Evan Turner?

Rumor is that Minnesota is VERY high on Turner and that this is an unexpected windfall for Philly. Look for Minnesota to trade the #4 + another 1st round pick for the #2.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2010, 03:18:54 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker

I agree, though it may take a while, whereas Evans is going to contribute from day 1....nothing wrong with patience in this case, imo...

Rumor is that Minnesota is VERY high on Turner and that this is an unexpected windfall for Philly. Look for Minnesota to trade the #4 + another 1st round pick for the #2.

Oh my goodness yes, sorry....Turner.

That's interesting about Minny...

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2010, 03:23:03 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

Actually if that came to pass that would be a good move for Minn.  They don't need another 3 young players, they need major talent.  Although whoever they got at 4 would be a real talent, Turner could be very special and make that team a real players with Al, Love, Flynn and possibly someday Rubio.  Add another decent player with the first rounder they'd have left and they're going in the right direction.

I'm not liking it so much for Philly though.  If they take Turner, they could slide Iggy to the SF or move him for the Center they desperately need.  (I'm not saying Perk but I could see Danny fielding a call in that situation)

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2010, 03:26:45 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

Actually if that came to pass that would be a good move for Minn.  They don't need another 3 young players, they need major talent.  Although whoever they got at 4 would be a real talent, Turner could be very special and make that team a real players with Al, Love, Flynn and possibly someday Rubio.  Add another decent player with the first rounder they'd have left and they're going in the right direction.

I'm not liking it so much for Philly though.  If they take Turner, they could slide Iggy to the SF or move him for the Center they desperately need.  (I'm not saying Perk but I could see Danny fielding a call in that situation)

See, I like it for Philly. They can take Cousins or Favors, whichever one they like more/whoever is left. Philadelphia needs to stop whatever they're doing. To be cliche...they're doing it wrong.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2010, 03:55:41 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

See, I like it for Philly. They can take Cousins or Favors, whichever one they like more/whoever is left. Philadelphia needs to stop whatever they're doing. To be cliche...they're doing it wrong.
Granted those players would be good pickups but they have a glut of forwards as it is.  Maybe if they moved Thad or Speights for another piece, that would help them get better

« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 02:47:23 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
At this point, I think New Jersey should look to snatch Rudy Gay from Memphis and draft Favors.

Harris - Williams - Gay - Favors - Lopez is an exciting and talented young team full of potential.

Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers