Author Topic: What would Minnesota do with the #1 pick?  (Read 6959 times)

What would Minnesota do with the #1 pick?
« on: May 18, 2010, 12:52:08 PM »

Offline adam8

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
Tonight is the draft lottery and everyone assumes we will get to see who will take John Wall with the first pick. The Nets have the best chance and I think would take John Wall and put Devin Harris on the trade block after a decline in his play from the previous year.

My question is about the T-Wolves, they have a 20% chance of getting the first pick and I wonder what they would do with it if they were to win it. Last year they drafted Rubio and Jonny Flynn. So they already have two highly drafted point guards, what would they do with the first pick?

Would they take John Wall because they consider him an absolute superstar talent that you cannot pass up and see if they can get even more talent for their other two point guards.

Would they try to trade the pick because they are such a young team and they think they have their point guards for the future and try to add some veteran experience.

Or would they use the pick to take someone else such as Evan Turner or Derrick Favors.

I think this would be an interesting situation if they were to get the first pick what does everyone else think they would do?

Edit: Just saw the other thread this can be moved
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 12:59:45 PM by Roy Hobbs »

Re: What would Minnesota do with the #1 pick?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2010, 01:07:31 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
They will take Wall. Then, I think, they will trade Rubio, who made it clear that he don't want to play for them. Many teams would jump on a chance to take Rubio, and Wolves can get a good value for him.
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2010, 01:09:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Interesting question.  I think you have to go in with the mindset that you're taking Wall no matter what, and then see what you get for offers for him, Rubio, and Flynn.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 01:10:51 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
They would do a package that includes either Jefferson or Love. That doesn't mean that the pick would be used in the trade, but it means that PG/SG prospects are all fair game.

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 01:20:19 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Either trade Flynn and Rubio or trade the pick. 

But then again, maybe they want more PGs after drafting three of them last year (and then trading one) 

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 02:18:47 PM »

Offline bMunch

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 28
the new york times has an interesting article about this:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/18/sports/basketball/18draft.html?ref=sports

After the Nets, the three teams with the best chance at winning the No. 1 pick are all set at point guard.

¶The Minnesota Timberwolves, who are slotted second, drafted two point guards in the lottery last year: Jonny Flynn and Ricky Rubio. Flynn has the job until the Wolves can coax Rubio out of Spain. It would be awkward, to say the least, if Minnesota drafted another top point guard.

¶The Sacramento Kings, who are slotted third, have Tyreke Evans, the reigning rookie of the year. It’s possible that Evans could shift to shooting guard, but he will still need the ball in his hands often and may be a poor fit next to Wall.

¶The Golden State Warriors, who are slotted fourth, have Stephen Curry, who finished second in the rookie of the year race and also emerged as a star scorer and playmaker.

Two other teams in the lottery — Utah and New Orleans — are anchored by the best young point guards in the league: Deron Williams (Jazz) and Chris Paul (Hornets). The Hornets are currently slotted 11th. The Jazz owns the Knicks’ pick, which is currently ninth.

That makes at least six teams, out of 14, that could be inclined to trade the No. 1 pick if they get it. The draft is June 24.

“Just because you draft a guy No. 1 doesn’t meant he has to play for you,” said Jonathan Givony, the president of DraftExpress.com.
“Man, I come home putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball. It’s sad, man." -- Kevin Garnett

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 02:19:46 PM »

Offline Overrated

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 218
But then again, maybe they want more PGs after drafting three of them last year (and then trading one) 

Pretty much what I was thinking. Who knows what they'll do? They took a bunch of point guards last year (plus signing Sessions); why not make another silly decision?

Although Wall would obviously be a good choice, and maybe then they'd be able to move Rubio (as others already suggested). I really want to see Rubio play in the NBA.

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
If I were them i would draft Turner. Would have a very good team for the future with.

Flynn
Turner
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

That would be a very good team. They could even turn around and trade Rubio away to the knicks or something and have a chance to be a very good team for the future.

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 02:52:44 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
Is Wall as good as people are making him out to be? I didn't watch much of him, but what I did watch it didn't say much to me, so I might have caught him in a bad night.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 02:56:48 PM »

Offline ibby

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
They would draft Wall, then trade Jefferson or Love for another pick so that they can select another point guard.

Honestly I think they are the one team that might actually select Evan Turner with the #1 overall.  If not and they did indeed select Wall I would suspect that Rubio would be headed elsewhere for a pick, possibly in this draft, or a players.

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 04:15:18 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Draft Wall, sign and trade one or two of their PG prospects for Rudy Gay.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 04:17:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Draft Wall, trade the draft rights of Ricky Rubio to the highest bidder and trade Jonny Flynn to the next highest bidder.

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 04:19:47 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I think you'd have to put some kind of trade together for a superstar.

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 04:23:49 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
They will take Wall. Then, I think, they will trade Rubio, who made it clear that he don't want to play for them. Many teams would jump on a chance to take Rubio, and Wolves can get a good value for him.

ESP a team that might want to unload a player as well as pick up Rubio.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Is Wall as good as people are making him out to be? I didn't watch much of him, but what I did watch it didn't say much to me, so I might have caught him in a bad night.

To me Wall looked better than Evans, Curry or Jennings who were the best 3 pg in last years draft.

He has elite athleticism at the pg position, good court vision and is a great defensive point guard.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19