Author Topic: Celtics (1-0) at Magic (0-1) Game 2 5/18  (Read 103898 times)

Celtics (1-0) at Magic (0-1) Game 2 5/18
« on: May 17, 2010, 10:36:27 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
at
Boston Celtics (1-0, 9-3) at Orlando Magic (0-1, 8-1)
Tuesday, May 18
8:30 PM ET
Playoff Game Game #13 , Road Game #7
TV:  ESPN    
Amway Arena

Probable Starters

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Michael Finley
Brian Scalabrine
Glen Davis
Tony Allen
Marquis Daniels
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette  

Injuries
Kendrick Perkins (knee) will play  

Probable Starters

Reserves
Marcin Gortat
Mickael Pietrus
JJ Redick
Ryan Anderson
Brandon Bass
Anthony Johnson
Adonal Foyle
Jason Williams

Injuries
Matt Barnes (back)  expected to play

Key Matchups
 vs  
Kendrick Perkins vs Dwight Howard  
This should be Perk, Sheed and Big Baby vs Dwight Howard because the Celtics were able to stop the Magic big man in game 1 by throwing one physical big at him after another.  All 3 of the Celtics big men did their job and by the end of the game, they were deep inside Howard's head.  The refs in game 1 let them play and that favors the Celtics physical style of play, especially in the post, and hopefully they will do the same in game 2.  

vs  
Rajon Rondo vs Jameer Nelson
This is another key matchup.  Rondo didn't really get going in game 1 but continued to run the offense well and set the pace of the game.   Rondo needs to continue to control the pace and run the offense.  Nelson got going in the second half and will more than likely look to be more aggressive in game 2.  Rondo will need to be ready to defend him and limit his effectiveness in this game.  One concern is the fact that Rondo has had to play big minutes and he may have run out of gas at the end of game 1.  Doc has to find a way to get Rondo some rest.  

Honorable Mention

Bench vs Bench
The Magic have a talented bench. Gortat and Redick were effective off the bench for them in game 1.  Without their contributions, the game wouldn't have been near as close.  The Celtics bench: Big Baby, Sheed, and Tony must contribute and must play lock down defense.  

Game Notes
The Celtics came out strong in game 1and shut down the Magic with tough team defense.  The Magic may have been rusty from being off so long after their sweep while they waited for the Celtics/Cavs series to end.  But, they never led in the game and the Celtics were able to steal home court from them.

In the second half of game 1, the Magic's shots started to fall and they came back from 20 down to cut the lead to 2 at one point, and lose the game by 4.  They won't be rusty in game 2 and so the Celtics defense becomes even more important.  They have to focus on shutting down the Magic's  3 point shooters while continuing to defend Howard with single coverage.  

The Magic know that if they go down 0-2 in the series they are in trouble.  They will come out with intensity and try to jump on the Celtics early.  The Celtics must be ready for it and match their intensity.   If they come out focused and play the kind of tough defense they did in game 1,  they could very well get another win in Orlando.  

Things to Watch
KG didn't get his offense going in game 1, but he was able to virtually shut down Rashard Lewis.  It would be nice to see KG get some easy baskets in this one.  

Paul Pierce and Ray Allen were hot in game one.  Hopefully they can stay hot for game 2.  The Celtics need both of them to lead the offense.  With Rondo having a tough matchup with Jameer Nelson, it won't be as easy for him to score in this series.

Will the Celtics come out with the same intensity as they did in game 1, or will they be satisfied to get the split in Orlando.  Hopefully they are just as hungry and go for the kill.

Keys to the Game
Defense -  I may sound like a broken record, but defense is always the biggest key to winning.  It is the key to winning this game and the key to winning Banner 18.  The games that the Celtics have lost in the playoffs were all lost because they didn't bring the same defensive intensity to the game.  If the Celtics bring their defense from the opening tip and don't let up, they give themselves a very good chance to win it.  

Rebound - Rebounding is very important to winning in the playoffs.  Every rebound the Magic get is a potential 2 or 3 points for them.   In game one, a few times, the Celtics gave the Magic second and third chances at a basket, allowing them to score.  The Celtics must box out and crash the boards as a team.   They have to commit as a team to crashing the boards and going after every single rebound.   Rebounding takes effort and desire and the Celtics must show both if they want to win this game.

Ball Movement - The Celtics must move the ball and find the open man.  When the ball is moving and the Celtics are racking up assists, their offense is hard to stop.   They can't play the score or play the clock if they get a lead.  They must keep pushing the ball and working to get good shots on every possession.  

Bench Play - The Celtics won game 1 in part because of key contributions from Tony, Big Baby and Sheed off the bench.  Rondo seemed to be running out of gas at the end of the game after playing 46 minutes once again.  Doc needs to figure out some way to get him more than 2 minutes rest.  

Focus and Hustle  The Celtics must be focused from the opening tip until the final buzzer.  They can't afford a lapse like they had in game 1 or like they have had in other games because the Magic will take advantage of it.  They have to keep their focus and not let up.  No playing the score or the clock.  No let up on defense.  Along with that, the Celtics must out hustle the Magic to get loose balls, rebounds, and all the 50-50 plays they can get.  

X-Factor
Officiating
The first game was called fairly.  The refs missed things on both sides.  It wasn't one sided.  But the key is that they let them play on both ends.  When refs let them play, it favors the Celtics.  Hopefully this officiating crew will let them play once again and call the game evenly.  

Re: Celtics (1-0) at Magic (0-1) Game 2 5/18
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2010, 11:32:58 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Our biggest lead won't be as high as it was, but our lead at the end will be more. That's my prediction.

I'm also calling a big night from Rondo.. some bad non-calls really made him hesitant to attack the basket.

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2010, 11:34:59 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
...oh and TP for FL 8)

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2010, 12:42:51 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP for FL. Let's get win number 2. I won't be able to catch this one as I have work but I have to be content with the fact that I have only missed two games thus far  ;)

Go Celtics!

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2010, 03:48:06 AM »

Offline thebat

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 17
I expect a huge game for the Celts!
I expect Dwight to be in foul trouble the whole game and hopefully get his 6 fouls in early 4th  ;D.

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2010, 05:46:33 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP to FL! Thanks for Post!

I will feel a lot more comfortable if we can take this win as well. ORL is still a dangerous team, but so are our Celtics.

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2010, 05:51:41 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I still think we either sweep this series or take it in five ... but I'm a bit crazy, and one of those "blind optimists" you've heard of. ;)

Great set-up as usual, Fl ... thanks and a TP with your morning cafe'!
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 07:05:56 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I still think we either sweep this series or take it in five ... but I'm a bit crazy, and one of those "blind optimists" you've heard of. ;)

Great set-up as usual, Fl ... thanks and a TP with your morning cafe'!

I with you on that one. I never believe the Celtics are capable of losing to anyone until they actually do.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 07:16:24 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 638
  • MASTER OF PANIC
we need to get this game.

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2010, 09:32:05 AM »

Offline Jon Niednagel

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
When they rebound well, their defense is great. When their defense is great, the offense flows. It all hinges on the rebounding from my perspective. I hope they stay aggressive on the boards. If they do, I think they have a good shot to take two in Orlando. Oh, and TP to FLCF.
“Being a Celtic is, every decision you make is about the team. Every cut you make is about the team. Every pass you make is about the team. You take yourself out of it. It’s not for everyone. If you don’t want to win, don’t want to play team basketball, and it’s more about you then you’re probably not a Celtic." Doc 2010

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2010, 09:53:41 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!
I think it's going to be a bad night for Orlando fans. Unless the Magic hit every three they shoot tonight, I don't see it going well for them.

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2010, 09:57:40 AM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
I actually just woke up from a dream about us winning.

I think I just saw the future  :o

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2010, 10:50:31 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
I love all the positive energy and optimism flowing from this thread. It is raining up here in Seattle this morning but the Green Sun will come out at 5:30 local time. I like the Celtics to win the game and impose their will against the Magic.

Besides, I don't want to sit around and think about a loss for three days. I have to watch the Mariners and their fans whining at the bar. That is boring. At least they still cheer for Ray Allen. 
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2010, 11:42:41 AM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
This is a big game for both teams. Obviously bigger for Orlando (and the pressure is on them) but if we can win this one and go back to Boston up 2-0... it would be huge.

I'm feeling confident about this one, maybe "strangely". The Magic will make runs, that's unavoidable, but if we're off to a good start, and if we have enough energy left in the tank for the 4th quarter, I really like our chances of stepping on their throats.

The games starts way too late for European time and I should not watch it live since it would be unreasonable now that I have to be prepared for my exams but... I think I won't be able to resist to the temptation, I've become too addicted to live games to watch it the day after. I will see what I do. :P

TP FL and let's go Celtics, another impressive road performance would put you in a very favorable position in this series!

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2010, 01:34:16 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I just read on ESPN that the Magic haven't lost back to back games on their home court all season.  The Celtics need to bring their A game if they are going to pull this one out.  They are totally capable of winning it if they keep their focus and play lock down defense.