Author Topic: Thierry Henry to MLS?  (Read 11577 times)

Re: Thierry Henry to MLS?
« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
The lack of American interest in MLS killing the potential growth of the league.  USA as a country could appeal to these foreign European players, but the teams around the country can't afford to pay them to play like European Clubs can.  In the end, why would they want to play for majority mediocre contracts in front of half-full stadiums?

Somewhat innacurate. Seattle, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia, Chicago and Toronto are doing very well.  One of the weakest teams in terms of interest is right here - the Revolution.
It doesn't have to be Beckham or Henry, just a name that played in a big time league.

I was very disappointed to see last year, when I went to the Revs/Galaxy game, that although their were a decent amount of people there, place was still a little over half empty.

One thing I would suggest is for them to lower ticket prices.  A casual fan does not want to pay $30 (what I paid last year), to sit 15 rows up in a corner.  The seats were nice when the action was down there, but no way I would pay $30 a few times a year to go see them.  For the Revs, you should be able to get decent seats for $10-$15.  I think attendance would go up, interest would go up, and in the end, revenue would probably go up slightly.

What was half empty?  The entire stadium or just the lower bowl?  They only open the lower bowl for Rev's game.  The revs need their own stadium if they're going to succeed.
do it

« Reply #16 on: June 01, 2010, 10:08:24 AM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
The lack of American interest in MLS killing the potential growth of the league.  USA as a country could appeal to these foreign European players, but the teams around the country can't afford to pay them to play like European Clubs can.  In the end, why would they want to play for majority mediocre contracts in front of half-full stadiums?

Somewhat innacurate. Seattle, LA Galaxy, Philadelphia, Chicago and Toronto are doing very well.  One of the weakest teams in terms of interest is right here - the Revolution.
It doesn't have to be Beckham or Henry, just a name that played in a big time league.

I was very disappointed to see last year, when I went to the Revs/Galaxy game, that although their were a decent amount of people there, place was still a little over half empty.

One thing I would suggest is for them to lower ticket prices.  A casual fan does not want to pay $30 (what I paid last year), to sit 15 rows up in a corner.  The seats were nice when the action was down there, but no way I would pay $30 a few times a year to go see them.  For the Revs, you should be able to get decent seats for $10-$15.  I think attendance would go up, interest would go up, and in the end, revenue would probably go up slightly.

What was half empty?  The entire stadium or just the lower bowl?  They only open the lower bowl for Rev's game.  The revs need their own stadium if they're going to succeed.

Good call brotha.  Lower bowl was roughly 4/5 full, Top was empty, and now it would make sense why.

In any event, I would agree about them needing a new stadium.  A nice 12,000 seat venue would probably do the trick nicely. 

« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2010, 10:27:41 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Yeah, they need their own venue with easy access.  Public transportation is a must.  Soccer isn't a rich man's game, bring it somewhere that it's easy to get to and cheap to get there.  If the revs keep playing at Gillette they will never succeed.  I also think the MLS could be helped by a real nice push by the USA in the cup.  Get people talking about soccer and maybe it'll help the league a little. 
do it

« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2010, 10:32:56 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Yeah, they need their own venue with easy access.  Public transportation is a must.  Soccer isn't a rich man's game, bring it somewhere that it's easy to get to and cheap to get there.  If the revs keep playing at Gillette they will never succeed.  I also think the MLS could be helped by a real nice push by the USA in the cup.  Get people talking about soccer and maybe it'll help the league a little. 

Whats wrong with Gillette?  They have free parking for MLS games, and the commuter rail goes there. 

I think the problem is with the prices (which I guess is a problem with Gillette, since it is so big, it costs much more money to run than a smaller place.  But the location is just fine...and possibly ideal for the families in metrowest, who are a huge part of their demographic.

Maybe what they should do is look into building a soccer only stadium right next to Gillette, since they already have the infrastructure. 

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2010, 09:07:58 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
Henry will play for NY next year.