Author Topic: Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?  (Read 17657 times)

Re: Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?
« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2010, 09:29:28 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Let's remember how young he is too.  Rondo wasn't considered a top 20 pt guard in his second year.  He was the big question mark when we traded for Ray and KG.

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2010, 09:32:34 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Not yet.....BUT...if Le Queen deigns to go to the Windy City...I think immediately. Look at what the Big Three have done for Rondo.

Rondo has better stats when one or more of them are out. Rose's stats will probably drop as well if LeBron goes there and dominates the ball.

« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2010, 09:43:21 AM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
1. Chris Paul
2. Deron Williams
3. Steve Nash
4. Rajon Rondo
5. Derrick Rose
6. Chauncey Billups
7. Tyreke Evans
8. Russell Westbrook

I'm not including Arenas because his NBA future is so unknown.

EDIT... If Nash isn't in your top 3 you are crazy...Nash shot 51% from the field, 43% from 3-pt, 94% from the FT line, and notched 17 PPG 11APG
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2010, 09:50:48 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
Definitely has the potential to be a top PG in the league. But as everyone else is saying, he's not there just yet. Rondo, Williams, Paul, Nash are all a higher class of PG at the moment.

Sorry Disagree. Rose is better than Rondo,Williams and Chris Paul right now. Only Nash is better than Rose at the moment. He has the potential to be totally dominant. He is incredible.

« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2010, 09:53:37 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Definitely has the potential to be a top PG in the league. But as everyone else is saying, he's not there just yet. Rondo, Williams, Paul, Nash are all a higher class of PG at the moment.

Sorry Disagree. Rose is better than Rondo,Williams and Chris Paul right now. Only Nash is better than Rose at the moment. He has the potential to be totally dominant. He is incredible.
What's your reasoning for this proclamation?

His stats are worse than all of those players, take a look.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/tiny.cgi?id=C0ftS
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 09:58:58 AM by Fafnir »

« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2010, 09:55:19 AM »

Offline StartOrien

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1200
without the words upside, ceiling, athletic ability, physical tools or any combination thereof? Thanks. After Gerald Green I don't find those words convincing anymore.

Without using speed, passing ability, court awareness, and ability to steal tell me why Rondo's a top PG.

Besides his shooting ability, heart, and court awareness was Larry Bird all that great?

I don't believe Rose is a top 3 PG, I believe he will be, but you can't start your argument by saying "You can't mention the attributes that make him great."

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2010, 09:57:43 AM »

Online csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not yet.....BUT...if Le Queen deigns to go to the Windy City...I think immediately. Look at what the Big Three have done for Rondo.

Rondo has better stats when one or more of them are out. Rose's stats will probably drop as well if LeBron goes there and dominates the ball.

I agree, but just as the Big Three have made RR better, so will Le Queen make Rose better. And as RR has taught us, stats alone do not necessarily an All Star make.

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2010, 09:59:44 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

His stats are worse than all of those players.

He can take over a game. He plays big in the biggest games and he is only 22 cmon. Only Nash is better
« Last Edit: May 13, 2010, 10:06:33 AM by FatjohnReturns »

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2010, 10:03:04 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I am not sure whether he is a top 3 point guard, but he is in the argument because he is REALLY good.  

I think it is tough to have an argument of Rondo versus Rose right now, since they are very different players, and Rose struggled for much of this year with injuries (and mediocre teammates).  But ultimately, I think they both are in the discussion as a top 3 PG, and I think they both are on the verge of being legitimately in the conversation with Williams and Paul as the best young PG in the league.  Both have some consistency issues to work on before they are in that conversation, but they are getting much closer.

« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2010, 10:04:39 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1619
  • What a Pub Should Be

He can take over a game. He plays big in the biggest games and he is only 22 cmon. None of the point guards besides Nash have the ability to be so dominant.

He still hasn't been able to consistently lock down on that ability, though.  That's where I think guys like Deron Williams and Chris Paul continue to be ahead of him at the moment.

He certainly has the ability but I'm not ready to put him in front of Williams & Paul based on potential.  

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2010, 10:05:57 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

He can take over a game. He plays big in the biggest games and he is only 22 cmon. None of the point guards besides Nash have the ability to be so dominant.

You don't think any of CP3, Deron, or Rondo can be dominant?

I mean, Rondo just went for 29/18/13 in a playoff game.  Deron had several games with both 30+ points and 10+ assists, and had 10 games with 15+ assists.  Chris Paul, in an injury plagued season, also put up a number of games with 30+ points, and had six 15+ assist games, and the year before, he was even better.

All of the guys you mentioned can dominate games; I just don't see that Rose currently has any special ability in that regard.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2010, 10:06:13 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens

Wake me up when he puts up something close to 29/18/13.

« Reply #42 on: May 13, 2010, 10:08:47 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
without the words upside, ceiling, athletic ability, physical tools or any combination thereof? Thanks. After Gerald Green I don't find those words convincing anymore.

Without using speed, passing ability, court awareness, and ability to steal tell me why Rondo's a top PG.

Besides his shooting ability, heart, and court awareness was Larry Bird all that great?

I don't believe Rose is a top 3 PG, I believe he will be, but you can't start your argument by saying "You can't mention the attributes that make him great."

Ceiling and upside don't make a player great. Just ask Gerald Green.

« Reply #43 on: May 13, 2010, 10:11:49 AM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton

Wake me up when he puts up something close to 29/18/13.

Tuesday April 13, 2010 vs the Celtics
39 points 7 assists and 5 rebounds.
It takes so much pressure off your offense when your point guard is a great scorer. Why? Because he is handeling the ball most of the time. Sorry If given the choice I would take Rose over Rondo anytime.

« Reply #44 on: May 13, 2010, 10:12:14 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Ceiling and upside don't make a player great. Just ask Gerald Green.

Athletic ability and physical tools are certainly part of the discussion, though.  The first two are speculative, but the second two are very real attributes (and are the reason that Danny was so high on a guy like Rondo, despite pedestrian stats in college.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions