Author Topic: Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?  (Read 17645 times)

Re: Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2010, 05:53:47 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I don't think he's top 3, or even top 5 ... I'd rank him around 7 or 8, personally.

This is about where I have him too. No disrespect intended - his time will come.

« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2010, 06:02:07 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2402
Reputation/Hype -- a rep that Rose hasn't earned yet.

« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2010, 06:04:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I don't think he's top 3, or even top 5 ... I'd rank him around 7 or 8, personally.
Yeah, I think I had him in the #9-#13 range last time I was looking at point guard rankings.

« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2010, 07:19:39 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 291
But averaging 20.8 for a PG in today's league is really amazing.

Overall though, we are really in the golden age of PGs.  The 90's and early 2000's were horrible.  Think about it, Marbury/Francis/Davis were considered the pinnacle of PG earlier this decade.  Kidd/Nash are the only two truly great PG's that played earlier this decade.  But now we have Rondo, Rose, CP3, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Stephen Curry, Nelson, and soon-to-be Paul Wall.  Special talent right there.

see, i think "today's league" promotes scoring point guards.  it's easier for a pg to average 20 in today's nba than it was 10 years ago.  with the defensive rules, the lanes have opened up and little guys can get to where they want to go much easier.  i think that's why we have so many "great" young point guards.

also, a lot of these point guards will not be so highly regarded in a few years.  it always happens.  i can't tell you which ones, but rest assured we'll fall completely out of love with some of these new flames.

« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2010, 08:13:52 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Top 3 still has to be some combination of CP3, Deron, and Nash, right?

I think Rondo has a legitimate claim to #4 at this point.  I think that Chauncey, Westbrook, and Rose are all in that conversation, as well.

As for why Rose is sometimes listed in the top-3, it's because he led all PGs in scoring.  I just don't think his assists are high enough to move him above a guy like Rondo.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2010, 08:15:59 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

I think Rondo has a legitimate claim to #4 at this point.  I think that Chauncey, Westbrook, and Rose are all in that conversation, as well.
I put Rajon Rondo ahead of Steve Nash. Probably Chauncey too.

Edit: No sorry, Steph Curry in fourth place, then Chauncey and Nash in fifth and sixth slots. Then Westbrook in seventh place.

#1 -- Deron Williams
#2 -- Chris Paul
#3 -- Rajon Rondo
#4 -- Stephen Curry
#5 -- Chauncey Billups
#6 -- Steve Nash (could swap Nash and Billups around)
#7 -- Westbrook

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2010, 08:21:44 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

I think Rondo has a legitimate claim to #4 at this point.  I think that Chauncey, Westbrook, and Rose are all in that conversation, as well.

Edit: No sorry, Steph Curry in fourth place, then Chauncey and Nash in fifth and sixth slots.

Rondo has Nash beat on the defensive end by a large margin, but Nash is still a better passer, a better scorer, and is more efficient offensively.

As for Curry, I don't have him in the conversation.  His numbers are inflated by Nellie Ball (and still below most of the other PGs listed), and he doesn't play NBA-caliber defense consistently.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2010, 08:50:06 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVMbnF9-l5w

Mostly hype but that guy is a nightmare to guard. His offensive game is similar to LeBron and he is one of the best finishers around the rim.

He is not yet in the top 3 but neither is Rondo.

Rondo does more to help his team win and is the better all around player right now for sure.

« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2010, 08:55:14 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think Rondo has a legitimate claim to #4 at this point.  I think that Chauncey, Westbrook, and Rose are all in that conversation, as well.

Edit: No sorry, Steph Curry in fourth place, then Chauncey and Nash in fifth and sixth slots.

Rondo has Nash beat on the defensive end by a large margin, but Nash is still a better passer, a better scorer, and is more efficient offensively.

As for Curry, I don't have him in the conversation.  His numbers are inflated by Nellie Ball (and still below most of the other PGs listed), and he doesn't play NBA-caliber defense consistently.

I'd put them pretty even as passers. Rondo's also a better rebounder. If the Celts played the Suns in the finals most people here would be pretty disappointed if Rondo didn't win the pg matchup. The Suns would have much more trouble containing him than the Cavs have.

« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2010, 09:04:15 AM »

Offline csfansince60s

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2238
Not yet.....BUT...if Le Queen deigns to go to the Windy City...I think immediately. Look at what the Big Three have done for Rondo.

« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2010, 09:06:50 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
I rank the Williams, Paul, and Rondo group right ahead of the Rose and Westbrook group.  Tony Parker and Billups have dropped a little below, and Curry isn't on my radar for a year or two.

« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2010, 09:15:39 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
I'm actually a Rose fan and think he's come along quite well in a relatively short time span in Chicago.  It's pretty much his team already and that's been illustrated on the court (Could change a bit with the impending free agency market).  He's developing that jumper quite well but still struggles as a playmaker at times.  You have to think that'll improve with experience.

That being said, he's certainly not Top 3 or even Top 5 at the moment.  The potential is there to, at least, crack Top 5 but he's not there yet.  I'd love to see him get an offensive-minded big man on the Bulls that he could work with.  He needs help in Chicago and Luol Deng is not the answer. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2010, 09:20:22 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Rose is going to singlehandedly take over and win playoff games in the fourth quarter.  That's a pretty big deal.

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2010, 09:23:15 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be
Rose is going to singlehandedly take over and win playoff games in the fourth quarter.  That's a pretty big deal.

For the most part, I've been very impressed by Rose' play in the playoffs, both last year and this year.   He seems to be one of the types whose game steps it up when the spotlight shines brightest.  Can be a bit erratic at times but pretty impressive.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2010, 09:24:07 AM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
Rose is probably in the top 5-8 pgs but there are clearly at least 5 pgs better.He might be a top  3pg scoring wise but not top 3 overall .

my list:
1.D.Williams
2.C.Paul
3.C.Billups
4.R.Rondo
5.R.Westbrook