Author Topic: Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?  (Read 17651 times)

Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?
« on: May 12, 2010, 11:17:16 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
without the words upside, ceiling, athletic ability, physical tools or any combination thereof? Thanks. After Gerald Green I don't find those words convincing anymore.

I swear someone has told me this at least twice a day since the playoffs started (usually prefaced by your PG is good but... or post-scripted with oooh he'll be unstoppable once *insert FA name here* joins the Bulls). I heard that 5! times today.

I'm genuinely perplexed because I haven't seen him play much and I know I'm missing something. From what I've seen, he's a good scorer but doesn't really stand out in any other area which isn't enough for me to seriously believe only CP3 and Deron are better than him.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2010, 11:38:35 PM by twinbree »
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Re: Can explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 11:24:18 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
I also have no idea why all the hype... same goes for Brandon Jennings.

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 11:28:35 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
You can't because he's not.
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:34:20 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
LOL OK so it's not just me then.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

Re: Can someone explain what makes Rose a top 3 PG?
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 11:43:48 PM »

Offline FatjohnReturns

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 120
 He is a above average scorer and passer and is only 22. Watch the  2009 postseason series vs the Celtics or the 2010 series against the Cavs. His ceiling is tremendous.

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 11:47:47 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I also have no idea why all the hype... same goes for Brandon Jennings.

The hype should be clear..they're both extremely talented with obvious room to grow.

But to call Rose a top 3 pg right now? Me no likey.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 11:48:09 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
He is a above average scorer and passer and is only 22. Watch the  2009 postseason series vs the Celtics or the 2010 series against the Cavs. His ceiling is tremendous.

You used the word ceiling... and that argument does not convince me that he is top 3 in the league as many people say he is. Rondo is sooooo much better.

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2010, 12:07:33 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3060
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Rondo > Rose
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2010, 12:29:25 AM »

Offline CelticSooner

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 872
  • GOT IT!!!
No way is he a top 5 pg in the league right now. He has a very good chance of changing that the next few years though. Very good player.

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2010, 02:08:35 AM »

Offline jackson_34

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 166
Definitely has the potential to be a top PG in the league. But as everyone else is saying, he's not there just yet. Rondo, Williams, Paul, Nash are all a higher class of PG at the moment.

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2010, 02:59:16 AM »

Offline lon3lytoaster

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 157
  • Word aapp!
Because he had a good game one against the Celtics in 2009.

That's really about it. The media hype after that game was ridiculous. Despite the fact Rondo out played him in every facet except scoring. Rajon was even a better shooter in that series, from 2 and three. I don't get it, but oh well.

I don't really mind when people think Rose is better than Rondo or anything like that, it's their opinion and whatnot. Plus, I'm ok with saying Rajon is "only" a top-five point guard. Considering we're in an era right now with more elite PG's since god knows when. That top five is also very interchangeable, as well. So it bothers me none.

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2010, 04:41:08 AM »

Offline neyvit

• Neemias Queta
  • Tommy Points: 5
Stats.  If you look at his regular season stats, his PPG is light-years ahead of Rondo (13.7 v. 20.8 ).  That may be an unfair comparison considering Rondo is a better passer/rebounder/defender and really turns it up when it matters most in the playoffs.  But averaging 20.8 for a PG in today's league is really amazing.

Also, while I think Rondo is a helluva PG, I don't really see him as a threat to take over a game scoring-wise.  He dominates the game in other ways.  Rose is the type of player that could completely go off for 40+ points, and no one would blink an eye.  He has the scoring mentality of a 2-guard or SF.  

So, whether fair or not, public perception will always favor the bigger scoring threat.  I'm not a Celtics fan, so maybe I am undervaluing Rondo - but if I had a choice between Rose and Rondo for the next ten years, I would likely choose Rose (because of his ability to carry a team with scoring, and his ridiculous ceiling).  

Overall though, we are really in the golden age of PGs.  The 90's and early 2000's were horrible.  Think about it, Marbury/Francis/Davis were considered the pinnacle of PG earlier this decade.  Kidd/Nash are the only two truly great PG's that played earlier this decade.  But now we have Rondo, Rose, CP3, Williams, Nash, Kidd, Tyreke Evans, Brandon Jennings, Stephen Curry, Nelson, and soon-to-be Paul Wall.  Special talent right there.

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2010, 05:45:19 AM »

Offline FallGuy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 70
I think Rondo is better right now but he's also a couple years older.  I would take Rondo over the long term but wouldn't be shocked to see both in the HOF one day.

Anyway, Rose is very good and headed for great. He put up a 18.60 PER this year (Rondo was 19.16). The two are also very close in TS% - Rondo at 54 with Rose at 53. So, you're getting similar offensive production out of them.

Rose is already very, very tough to defend off the dribble. He has a great handle, a strong body and can finish at the rim (wow - I'm starting to sound like Hubie Brown). He's gonnna shoot a lot of free throws in his career.  Anyway, Chicago often just gives the ball to him and lets him beat his man late in games. And it often works.

His first year in the league, he was a very bad defender but he's already improved and he has the size and quickness to really make a defensive impact as he gets older. He could be a great defender.

He's never gonna be as flashy as a Rondo/Nash/Kidd style point guard. His vision just isn't in their league. But he could eventually be a kind of more athletic Chauncey Billups type. They even seem to share the same temperament and maturity.

It's entirely reasonable to consider his upside when comparing him to Rondo. Think of the leaps Rajon made from year two to year four. Rose could be on the same upward trajectory.

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2010, 05:47:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
I don't think he's top 3, or even top 5 ... I'd rank him around 7 or 8, personally.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2010, 05:51:24 AM »

Kiorrik

I don't think he's top 3, or even top 5 ... I'd rank him around 7 or 8, personally.
Right now, possibly.

In the future, it looks like he's going to shoot up :) I think that's where the no.3 thingy comes from.