Author Topic: C's workout BYU PG Jimmer Fredette  (Read 4556 times)

C's workout BYU PG Jimmer Fredette
« on: May 06, 2010, 07:39:25 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
He hasn't hired an agent so he could technically pull out of the draft still and stay at BYU.

http://blogs.sltrib.com/byu/index.php

Was in Boston for a workout on Wednesday.  Celtics flipped the bill.

http://www.byucougars.com/Profile.jsp?ID=3062

The Glens Falls, N.Y., native received multiple All-America honors in 2009-10 while leading BYU to a program record 30 wins, including a victory in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He led BYU in scoring (22.1 ppg), assists (4.7 apg) and three-point percentage (.440) while shooting .892 from the free throw line and adding 41 steals. He set BYU records with 49 points and nine threes against Arizona and set an MWC Tournament record with 45 points against TCU.

Fredette tied the program’s NCAA Tournament scoring record with 37 points in BYU’s 99-92 double-overtime win over Florida in the first round. For the season he had eight 30-point games and had the fourth-most points (751) and fourth-most assists (159) by a Cougar in a single season. In addition to the All-America honors, Fredette was named first-team All-MWC and earned all-district and district player of the year honors.

Re: C's workout BYU PG Jimmer Fredette
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 08:31:42 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28
He hasn't hired an agent so he could technically pull out of the draft still and stay at BYU.

The Glens Falls, N.Y., native received multiple All-America honors in 2009-10 while leading BYU to a program record 30 wins, including a victory in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. He led BYU in scoring (22.1 ppg), assists (4.7 apg) and three-point percentage (.440) while shooting .892 from the free throw line and adding 41 steals. He set BYU records with 49 points and nine threes against Arizona and set an MWC Tournament record with 45 points against TCU.

Fredette tied the program’s NCAA Tournament scoring record with 37 points in BYU’s 99-92 double-overtime win over Florida in the first round. For the season he had eight 30-point games and had the fourth-most points (751) and fourth-most assists (159) by a Cougar in a single season. In addition to the All-America honors, Fredette was named first-team All-MWC and earned all-district and district player of the year honors.

I don't think we'd take him unless it was in the second round and he'd be our back up point.  We already got Rondo so why do we need another point guard?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:37:36 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 08:51:03 PM »

Offline drkalloch

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 13
Ainge is just doing what he can as a BYU alum to give Fredette some press. There is no conceivable way the Celtics pick him, as he will clearly be off the board by the time our 2nd round pick comes around. Only if Danny/Wyc buy a late 1st/early 2nd rounder would Fredette be in the picture, but even then, he doesn't fulfill a real glaring need for the Green, given Rondo's prolific play/minutes.
TheKMan.

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »

Offline yupitsme

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 12
  • "My team about green RONDO roger that" - Fabolous
Fredette is VERY good...he can score all types of ways and has a layup finish that is practically unblockable. I love his and Luke Babbit's games, both can really put the ball in the basket...which is always a good thing.  :)

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 10:03:28 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
He's a bigger, stronger Dickau.  It'll be interesting to see if he can hang in the league.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 10:31:42 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1617
  • What a Pub Should Be
This kid was definitely in my top three players I enjoyed watching this past NCAA tournament.  He can flat-out score.  No idea how he'll translate to the NBA but a fun kid to watch.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
He is also fairly local (glens falls NY) I would have to guess he will go back to school and ainge was just helping his fellow BYU guy out. In the future he could make for a great rondo back up / eddie house style bench player
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 11:35:53 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I just read about him on Chad Ford's blog, and was wondering whether the C's would be interested in him.  I would be very disappointed if they took him at 19, unless they think he is very special, but if they could get a second first round pick, or an early second round pick, I think he would be intriguing.

Again, he fits the Ainge profile (not the white thing, but the BYU thing), and does fill a need for this team, even though it would be off the bench.

Ainge is probably just doing his due diligence here, and will likely have just about everyone in the 11-40 range in for a workout, if he can, but the optimist in me likes to think Danny is trying to buy another pick.

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 12:08:28 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
From a BYU alum about a BYU alum working out a BYU alum..."How 'bout them Cougars?"

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2010, 12:31:05 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Kid looked great all season and in the first round of the tourney, but then got pretty exposed by fringe NBA talent Jacob Pullen out of KState. I know Ainge puts more stock into conference play and conference tourneys, though.

« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2010, 12:39:32 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Well people underrate Rondo a lot. I mean Danny have good eye so why not on 19th
p.s. And after all isnt he only starting to test people theres a long waaaaaaaaaaaaay till that pick
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all

I don't think we'd take him unless it was in the second round and he'd be our back up point.  We already got Rondo so why do we need another point guard?

Same reason the Hornets took Darren Collison last year --- if he's the best player available. I personally would have no problem drafting a PG if I (or in this case Ainge) thought he was the best player left on the board.

Drafting, to me, is about adding talent, not necessarily addressing needs. If you add talent you can always address needs via trades (a la Jefferson/Gomes/Green deal) or FA.

That said I agree with other folks -- this is probably a case of Ainge doing another BYU-er a solid.

But Fredette looked terrific in the tournament, it's not like this guy is a scrub. I suspect he's not the 19th best guy, but you never know what will happen -- I would guess there will be more teams than usual trying to move their late picks this year to avoid long-term salary obligations with a potential lockout.

I think that with nearly $65M tied up in salaries before even addressing Ray Allen, the MLE, etc. It would be wise for us to add another guy on a rookie scale deal besides our own #19 pick.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 08:00:53 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118
Sounds like Jimmer's staying at BYU.  Good decision.  Could land himself in the first round if he carries them again this year.  He's a nasty ball playa.

http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/19/10009093/BYU-Cougars-blog-Fredettes-decision-to-return-to-BYU-a-close-call.html?linkTrack=rss-blog

After a week of experiencing a taste of the NBA lifestyle - being picked up at airports, put up in nice hotels and eating fancy room-service meals - Jimmer Fredette had a tough decision to make last Saturday on whether to return to BYU or remain in the NBA draft. We all figured he'd come back, which he ultimately decided to do. But, Fredette revealed on Monday, the decision was tougher than most figured it would be.

"I was close either way," Fredette said. "I felt like it was a win-win situation either way . . . I was pretty close to going in (to the draft) but I felt like it was the best decision to stay."

It became difficult because the coaches and executives from the Celtics, Thunder, Nets and Knicks were telling Fredette that only projected first pick John Wall of Kentucky was a higher-rated point guard. It was a tough call when each of the four teams discovered Fredette was more athletic and a better defender than they believed.

"When they saw me they thought I was actually a lot better than they actually expected," he said.

It was a tough decision because the feedback Fredette was receiving indicated he would be picked in June's draft. The teams just couldn't guarantee him where.

"I felt like it was best to come back still, because there are no guarantees out there and it was too early in the process to guarantee anybody."

All of the feedback Fredette received was positive and encouraging that an NBA career does await. Just being one of the few underclassmen to even be invited to a workout - let alone four of them - was a positive sign.

"It just goes to show that there was a lot of interest out there and a lot of people wanted to see me play."

In the final hours Saturday before Fredette had to make his big decision, he was not advised to go either direction by BYU coach Dave Rose or his father, Al Fredette. They simply helped him look at and weigh the pros and cons of both options.

"They truly just wanted me to be happy and follow my heart," Fredette said.

« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 01:26:20 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Every player that he can move into the top 18 will allow a player currently there to drop to us. It's all part of the draft game.

Plus the BYU love as stated above. (didn't mean to rhyme  8))