Author Topic: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"  (Read 50740 times)

Re: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2010, 11:01:08 PM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
Yes! A lefty shooter that can dribble into his own shot, catch oops and dunk in traffic. EXACTLY who we need playing behind Ray and Pierce

Then 2nd round pick would be good to go after Dexter Pitman from Texas. More athletic version of BBD
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #76 on: May 21, 2010, 01:05:08 AM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
Yes! A lefty shooter that can dribble into his own shot, catch oops and dunk in traffic. EXACTLY who we need playing behind Ray and Pierce

Then 2nd round pick would be good to go after Dexter Pittman from Texas. More athletic version of BBD

If BBD works out like he did last year, then doesn't screw it up by being a big baby... we'll already have a more athletic version of Big Baby. And guess what? He already knows the defense.

« Reply #77 on: May 21, 2010, 01:08:29 AM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
I just watched the first day of the draft combine on ESPNU. While everyone, including myself, is focused on our playoff run, I don't see any reason to overlook the draft given that we have a decent pick. Based on what I saw, I think we could go in a number of directions in this draft depending on who's available. The Wolves have an abundance of picks to deal with and Larry Bird loves Gordon Hayward who should be available at 19. There are several small forward prospects who we could use on our roster, including Luke Babbitt, Paul George, Stanley Robinson and Damion James. Robinson doesn't have much of a jumper but he can finish around the rim very well. Babbitt referenced Paul Pierce first as a player he enjoys watching. George looked really smooth and showed off a fluid jumper. Having said that, I think we have another need at the 4 or 5 spots. We need athleticism and length down low judging by the aging KG and Sheed and Perk and Davis who don't have much lift. We were one of the worst rebounding teams this season due to those facts. Larry Sanders stood out from what I saw of day one of the combine. His arms are incredibly long and looks like he could be a real presence down low while possessing a nice touch from the outside and being able to run the floor like a gazelle. The announcers mentioned that he may need a true point guard to help him get shots, and we have one of the best in the league now. Rondo and Sanders could make a dangerous tandem using lobs and playing in the paint. Plus it doesn't hurt that his name is Larry. I plan on watching day 2 of the combine on Friday.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #78 on: May 21, 2010, 05:55:06 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I just watched the first day of the draft combine on ESPNU. While everyone, including myself, is focused on our playoff run, I don't see any reason to overlook the draft given that we have a decent pick. Based on what I saw, I think we could go in a number of directions in this draft depending on who's available. The Wolves have an abundance of picks to deal with and Larry Bird loves Gordon Hayward who should be available at 19. There are several small forward prospects who we could use on our roster, including Luke Babbitt, Paul George, Stanley Robinson and Damion James. Robinson doesn't have much of a jumper but he can finish around the rim very well. Babbitt referenced Paul Pierce first as a player he enjoys watching. George looked really smooth and showed off a fluid jumper. Having said that, I think we have another need at the 4 or 5 spots. We need athleticism and length down low judging by the aging KG and Sheed and Perk and Davis who don't have much lift. We were one of the worst rebounding teams this season due to those facts. Larry Sanders stood out from what I saw of day one of the combine. His arms are incredibly long and looks like he could be a real presence down low while possessing a nice touch from the outside and being able to run the floor like a gazelle. The announcers mentioned that he may need a true point guard to help him get shots, and we have one of the best in the league now. Rondo and Sanders could make a dangerous tandem using lobs and playing in the paint. Plus it doesn't hurt that his name is Larry. I plan on watching day 2 of the combine on Friday.
a couple of the reasons for this team being one of the worst rebounding teams in the league this year during the regular season yet being one of the league's better rebounding teams during the playoffs(based on rebounding differential per game and total rebounding percentage) are that

1.) The effort put into rebounding the ball during the regular season by this team was pathetic. It is one of the clear indicators that this team was not healthy and/or coasting during the regular season as the effort to box out and crash the boards was just not there

2.) The guards and wing players are now doing their jobs of coming back and hitting the defensive boards. Where this team really hurt was in a lack of rebounding for the SF and guard positions. Rondo, Ray and Pierce all had over 10% drops in rebounding per game totals from the year before and even larger drops in TR% from year to year.

So what I am trying to say is that the lack of rebounding doesn't necessarily translate into a need for a big. A rebounding wing or SG could also help tremndously. Damion James and Quincy Pondexter, relative to their position are much better rebounders than Babbitt and maybe as good or better than Larry Sanders

« Reply #79 on: May 21, 2010, 08:09:39 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
I watched the combine too.  I found very interesting the report that Gordon Hayward has been killing the other 3s in one-on-one drills.  If he has the footspeed to defend the 3, he's my first choice.  His skills are light-years ahead of most of the players.

I was also (pleasantly)surprised by Lazar Hayward.  George looked good, from what I could tell.  Robinson plainly got big props from the pundits.  Can't wait for today's session! 
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #80 on: May 21, 2010, 05:26:39 PM »

Offline Silent Storm

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 55
Pre draft measurements: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2010&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=1

Larry Sanders: 6'10.5" with shoes on, 7'6" wingspan, 9'4" reach, 4.6 body fat.
You are no longer black, or brown, or yellow, or red! You are now GREEN, you are light GREEN, or dark GREEN!

« Reply #81 on: May 21, 2010, 05:33:23 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Pre draft measurements: http://www.draftexpress.com/nba-pre-draft-measurements/?year=2010&sort2=DESC&draft=&pos=&sort=1

Udoh -- 6-9 and three quarters with a 7-4 and a half inch wingspan leading to a 8 foot 10.5 inch standing reach

Davis -- 6-9 and three quarters with a 7-0 wingspan leading to a 9 foot standing reach

Seriously, how big is Udoh's neck? His arms are four inches longer and yet his standing reach is almost two inches shorter?

Impressive measurements from Larry Sanders. Also, DeMarcus Cousins. Still looking down the list to see if anyone else pops out ...

« Reply #82 on: May 21, 2010, 08:29:09 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
If we're going to take a white guy, then you have to go with Gordon Hayward, who is by far better than Babbit,and has proved so.

I hope no one is suggesting that we consider drafting any of these guys because they are white. That would be completely inappropriate. The guy has an impressive highlight real, but so did Yi, and see how he has turned out so far.  I trust Danny will properly evaluate the draft and get the right player.

Yi had a highlight reel?  Was it against the chair?

Reports out of New Jersey suggest the Nets are trying to package Yi and a draft pick for that chair and a broom to be named later...
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #83 on: May 21, 2010, 11:01:30 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
You know, after thinking about my earlier post, I considered the following: if JJ Redick, who wasn't the greatest athlete but is perhaps deceptive in this regard (according to his draft profile on nbadraft.net - I spend way too much time on that site), can become a good defender at the 2, why couldn't this kid?  I'm still skeptical, though; he'd have to be able to guard 'Melo, LeBron, Caron Butler, Rudy Gay, Gerald Wallace, Danny Granger, Kevin Durant, Richard Jefferson, Shawn Marion, Hedo Turkoglu, Luol Deng, Ron Artest, Thaddeus Young, and Corey Maggette.  That's pretty daunting. 

On the plus side, someone did mention the number of minutes he played in college, so maybe he is a fitness freak (like Mullin); and according to an earlier post, he also gives it everything he has all the time (which seems to help him at least compete against other 3s defensively) - who doesn't love that?

From his stats and the highlights posted earlier, I really like his shooting (both catch and shoot and off the dribble), rebounding, scoring on the block, passing, and his ability to get to the free throw line (I think that will help him down the road); and while his line against Delroy James (in terms of shooting) wasn't good, I liked that he had 5 assists (and 5 turnovers, so a wash there, but still a nice number of dimes), 6 rebounds, and made all 10 of his free throws.

All in all, I just can't make up my mind on him.  Now, if he put up those numbers in the Big East, he would be a top five pick, easy.  I'll say this though: if it comes down to him or Paul George, I'll take George (if Babbitt does become a Celtic though, I hope all of our doubts will be proven wrong).

« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2010, 12:08:07 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Chad ford's pick of Babbitt at 12 to the Grizzlies in his most recent mock draft doesn't sound like a ringing endorsement:

This pick may seem like a bit of a reach, but sources say the Grizzlies have locked in early on Babbitt; they're concerned he won't be there when they pick again at No. 25. While I have no idea who he'll guard at the next level, the guy can really score. The question: Is he the next Adam Morrison or the next Chris Mullin? The Grizzlies are banking on the latter.

He calls the pick "a bit of a reach", questions who Babbitt will be able to guard at the next level and question's whether he'll be the next Adam Morrison or the next Chris Mullin.

Eeek!!! Not exactly what I would want someone saying about a possibl;e Celtic draft pick if that pick was in the lottery.

« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2010, 08:53:02 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I hope Babbit is there for the C's at 19. Having read his measurements I dont think defence will be as big a problem as every one is making it. He meaured a hair under 6'9 with shoes on with an almost 7' wing span and weighed 218 lbs. That puts him at a similare size to Turkoglu, mike dunleavy and the rest of the less athletic big 3s in the nba. The currnet crop of PFs in the eastern conference is full of smaller 4s Jamison, Beasly and Lewis are all around babbits size. While Babbit may never be a great 1 on 1 match for these kinds of player he has the size to develop into an effective team defender.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #86 on: May 22, 2010, 10:22:02 AM »

Offline Kenhov

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 17
I would encourage anyone to have a look at Babbitt on the youtube clips.

I get a sense he will be a bust. He cant make his own shot, which isnt a problem per se when you have a pg named Rondo, but he seems extremely lethargic on defense.

The one thing I did gather is that he has very good bbiq. You can see it straight up. However given that he wasnt in a bigger conference and yet seemed slow to the pace of the game I wouldnt gamble on him. Especially with a 19 pick.

Thats my opinion. I am sure the experts who see him in camp have a much better birdseye view.

« Reply #87 on: May 22, 2010, 11:15:33 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Like most of us on here, I basically know nothing about Babbit.  One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Danny is pretty good at smokescreens when it comes to the draft.  Perhaps he is "leaking" how much he likes Babbit in the hope that someone drafts him before the Cs, thereby dropping someone else of value to the Cs.

I've started to do my research on various draft possibilities, and my feeling is that the way to go is either with someone who looks ready to contribute right away (eg: Pondexter) or, if we go the project route, go for a position of value (I am specifically thinking big man -- eg: Sanders, Alabi).
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2010, 11:45:00 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Like most of us on here, I basically know nothing about Babbit.  One thing to keep in mind, though, is that Danny is pretty good at smokescreens when it comes to the draft.  Perhaps he is "leaking" how much he likes Babbit in the hope that someone drafts him before the Cs, thereby dropping someone else of value to the Cs.

I've started to do my research on various draft possibilities, and my feeling is that the way to go is either with someone who looks ready to contribute right away (eg: Pondexter) or, if we go the project route, go for a position of value (I am specifically thinking big man -- eg: Sanders, Alabi).

this is the perfect draft for Danny to do something like that because we have a high enough draft pick that someone could definitely slide to us as a result.

also, you have teams like MEM and MIN that could be very susceptible to the idea of Danny scooping guys like Babbitt and Hayward before they pick again later in the first round.

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2010, 12:12:11 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454

Udoh -- 6-9 and three quarters with a 7-4 and a half inch wingspan leading to a 8 foot 10.5 inch standing reach

Davis -- 6-9 and three quarters with a 7-0 wingspan leading to a 9 foot standing reach

Seriously, how big is Udoh's neck? His arms are four inches longer and yet his standing reach is almost two inches shorter?

Impressive measurements from Larry Sanders. Also, DeMarcus Cousins. Still looking down the list to see if anyone else pops out ...

I remember the same thing with Shelden Williams: super-long arms, huge head, mediocre standing reach.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri