Author Topic: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"  (Read 50942 times)

Re: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"
« Reply #60 on: May 19, 2010, 07:24:18 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
I think we do need to draft a sf to backup Pierce

Just because we need a certain position, does not mean we should draft at that position. Looking at this draft without considering what type of team we have, it is clear that the strength of the draft is in the bigs. A good gm never drafts for need when other players could better help the team (see JR Giddens.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #61 on: May 19, 2010, 07:29:01 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Just because we need a certain position, does not mean we should draft at that position. Looking at this draft without considering what type of team we have, it is clear that the strength of the draft is in the bigs. A good gm never drafts for need when other players could better help the team (see JR Giddens.
If the clear cut best player available this year is a big, great choose him But if it's real close, I think you have to go wing player. If it's a PG, then I think you have to go with second best player available.

Normally I'm a big best player available type draft person but being so very close to the end of Ray and Paul's careers here in Boston, special consideration needs to go towards addressing that area, if the BPA isn't clearly by a good margin a wing player.

« Reply #62 on: May 19, 2010, 07:31:29 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Daniel Orton (If Available) and Lazar Hayward and then we can go home.

« Reply #63 on: May 19, 2010, 07:33:08 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

If the clear cut best player available this year is a big, great choose him But if it's real close, I think you have to go wing player. If it's a PG, then I think you have to go with second best player available.

Normally I'm a big best player available type draft person but being so very close to the end of Ray and Paul's careers here in Boston, special consideration needs to go towards addressing that area, if the BPA isn't clearly by a good margin a wing player.

My point is that I think people are overrated the wing/guard players because it a very weak draft for them. The value for guards/wings is in the 2nd round IMO. At 19, the best player on the board will most likely be a big.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #64 on: May 19, 2010, 07:38:32 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

My point is that I think people are overrated the wing/guard players because it a very weak draft for them. The value for guards/wings is in the 2nd round IMO. At 19, the best player on the board will most likely be a big.
There are three wings that will be available at 19 that won't be there later for the C's unless they buy or trade for a pick. Damion James, Quincy Pondexter and Stanley Robinson. In a normally deep draft these guys are late lottery selections or better. If they are still available, I really think Danny needs to get one of them. I think all will eventually be solid starting players in the NBA and 2 of them could have All-Star potential. The entire class of wing players as a whole might not be great, but these guys are definitely way above average in my book for the type of value you normally see at 19 in the draft.

« Reply #65 on: May 19, 2010, 07:48:13 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280
His offensive game reminds me of Larry. At this point that's where the comparison stops but i think his approach is similar. He's not the same skill level as far as rebounds go, but he seems pretty good. Although i am impressed with his ability to handle the ball in traffic.

I wouldn't be disappointed if we got him.

Heres some good stuff that i found in a Nevada news article on the kid:

Quote from:  Carter (Nevada Head Coach)
“The thing about Luke that people should remember is his competitiveness,” Carter said. “He came to compete every single night.”

Quote from:  Joe Santoro
Babbitt, who averaged 19.4 points and 8.1 rebounds in his college career, was a true workhorse for the Pack. The 6-foot-9 power forward never missed a game, starting all 68 games over the past two seasons. He also played 2,370 out of a possible 2,735 minutes (87 percent) over the last two years.

Quote from:  Carter
He played every game like it was his last game

« Last Edit: May 19, 2010, 07:56:41 PM by xmuscularghandix »

« Reply #66 on: May 19, 2010, 08:02:45 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
I don't think the name has been mentioned yet, but he looks to me a bit like Mike Miller: on one hand limited, but on the other a little more versatile than normally given credit for.

I wouldn't hate the pick, but it really depends on who is available -- and also what happens with Ray, TA, and Paul.
Is Mike Miller more limited that the typical rotation guy? I mean, who isn't limited?

« Reply #67 on: May 19, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777

Add to that the fact that we can't count on a rookie right away, and it seems to make more sense to pick up a FA to backup Pierce and draft whoever looks best based on ability and our system.

« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2010, 08:10:45 PM »

Offline xmuscularghandix

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 280

Add to that the fact that we can't count on a rookie right away, and it seems to make more sense to pick up a FA to backup Pierce and draft whoever looks best based on ability and our system.

If we're going to float through the season and save the vets again next year, then we'll need guys to step up and play minutes during the season. I think Doc's hand will be forced a little bit more next year.

Kid has been compared to Keith Van Horn, I'd feel pretty good about having young KVH playing spot minutes for Pierce. Especially if TA could still be playing next to him.... but if Tony is leaving I'd like to see a completely different type of player at 19.

« Reply #69 on: May 20, 2010, 10:23:02 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

There are three wings that will be available at 19 that won't be there later for the C's unless they buy or trade for a pick. Damion James, Quincy Pondexter and Stanley Robinson. In a normally deep draft these guys are late lottery selections or better. If they are still available, I really think Danny needs to get one of them. I think all will eventually be solid starting players in the NBA and 2 of them could have All-Star potential. The entire class of wing players as a whole might not be great, but these guys are definitely way above average in my book for the type of value you normally see at 19 in the draft.

I disagree that these guys would ever be lottery players.  Pondexter is interesting, because of his production as a senior, but the other two are still pretty raw for my taste.  I think all of those guys are probably slated right where they belong, because they simply are not complete players.

« Reply #70 on: May 20, 2010, 11:28:53 AM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Babbit may or may not be a bust but either way I don't think the Celts have a shot at him as he looking like a top 10 pick. Heywood should be around. Might be worth looking at. Got a lot of skills.

This draft seem really weak after Wall. It would surprise me if a late first round pick ends up be a the second or third best player drafted.

« Reply #71 on: May 20, 2010, 12:43:24 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

I disagree that these guys would ever be lottery players.  Pondexter is interesting, because of his production as a senior, but the other two are still pretty raw for my taste.  I think all of those guys are probably slated right where they belong, because they simply are not complete players.
As they currently are if they were placed in last year's draft, they all would have probably been top 15 picks. This is a deep draft so they all will probably be chosen somewhere between 15-35. In a weaker draft or even a normal draft year, I do think they may have been late lottery to mid first rounders

« Reply #72 on: May 20, 2010, 07:14:58 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Just saw this on realgm

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap/

Luke Babbitt of Nevada has become a player considered to be rising on team's draft boards I asked Babbitt what position he sees himself defending on the NBA evel"I see myself as a three man," said Babbitt. "Defending the three, with also the ability to be a four man"The NBA phenomenon of a stretch four is growing, so I think I can do both.

Can't wait to see how he measures out at the camps. He could be a huge help to the C's bench if he is able to play the posey role of a stretch 4 . I know he isn't supposed to be very athletic, but I actually think he is above average , and at least as athletic as james posey.  

« Reply #73 on: May 20, 2010, 09:00:42 PM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't think the name has been mentioned yet, but he looks to me a bit like Mike Miller: on one hand limited, but on the other a little more versatile than normally given credit for.

I wouldn't hate the pick, but it really depends on who is available -- and also what happens with Ray, TA, and Paul.
Is Mike Miller more limited that the typical rotation guy? I mean, who isn't limited?
Sure, but I was speaking more of perception -- most people associate Miller with shooting, and that's pretty much it...kind of like Korver.  Most rotation players are perceived to have at least two skills: there's the Bowen archetype that can both defend the wing and shoot the 3, for example.  And in actuality Miller can rebound and pass pretty well, too; that's what came to mind looking at Babbit's stats, where we're all talking about his shooting (a la Miller), but I also liked that he averages about 9 boards a game.  He won't get that many in the NBA, but it is still a skill that usually translates somewhat.

« Reply #74 on: May 20, 2010, 09:25:47 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
we're all talking about his shooting (a la Miller), but I also liked that he averages about 9 boards a game.  He won't get that many in the NBA, but it is still a skill that usually translates somewhat.
For what it's worth, they say that rebounding is the skill that translates best from college to NBA.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."