Author Topic: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"  (Read 50943 times)

Re: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"
« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2010, 02:34:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
If we're going to take a white guy, then you have to go with Gordon Hayward, who is by far better than Babbit,and has proved so.

I hope no one is suggesting that we consider drafting any of these guys because they are white. That would be completely inappropriate. The guy has an impressive highlight real, but so did Yi, and see how he has turned out so far.  I trust Danny will properly evaluate the draft and get the right player.

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2010, 02:44:27 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Both those guys can ball regardless of their skin color.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2010, 02:49:53 PM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Thanks, Chad Ford, for getting the annual Celtics disinformation machine started up!

We should just draft the BPA, and I have faith in whoever Danny picks.

I'd be looking for someone who (1) can defend an NBA position, and (2) hit a three-point shot.  I'm liking Anderson, George, maybe Solomon Jones (who the Cs either did or are about to work out).

"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2010, 02:52:17 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
If we're going to take a white guy, then you have to go with Gordon Hayward, who is by far better than Babbit,and has proved so.

I hope no one is suggesting that we consider drafting any of these guys because they are white. That would be completely inappropriate. The guy has an impressive highlight real, but so did Yi, and see how he has turned out so far.  I trust Danny will properly evaluate the draft and get the right player.

Yi had a highlight reel?  Was it against the chair?

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2010, 03:27:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Since the end of the college season this guy has skyrocketed up the pundits list and mock drafts. I saw last night Jay Bilas had him going 9th in the first round.

Every year there are 1 or 2 guys that do this that turn out to be just complete and utters busts.

I see Babbit being that guy in this draft.

Can anyone say Joe Alexander??

« Reply #50 on: May 19, 2010, 03:38:55 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Since the end of the college season this guy has skyrocketed up the pundits list and mock drafts. I saw last night Jay Bilas had him going 9th in the first round.

Every year there are 1 or 2 guys that do this that turn out to be just complete and utters busts.

Joe Alexander can't shoot like this babbit kid. He has the ability to shoot off the dribble and the catch and his shooting % are fantastic..Fg 50% , 3pt 41%, FT 91%

Alexander is more athletic ,but a lot more raw as a player coming into the league. Babbit seems to have above average athleticism , but has a much more nba ready game. I think at worst the kid is another kyle korver which wouldn't be the worst thing to have coming off the bench.

« Reply #51 on: May 19, 2010, 03:49:04 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834

Yeah, he had a pretty good one. He made all of his shots, 3/4 of which were dunks. Thought he was "can't miss" after watching it! I forgot that it was edited.

« Reply #52 on: May 19, 2010, 03:57:04 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

You probably would have been much better off making a Luke Jackson comparison than Alexander.  Alexander was a raw athlete who was also a major tweener.  Babbit is much more skilled, and polished.  The question with him is whether he has the athleticism to hang in the league.

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »

Offline Brendan

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 72
I'd love to get a taller SF 6'9" range that can both drain threes and play a "small" ball PF. I think a guy like that + a combo guard would be great fits on this team's bench.

I just don't want a guy like that whose talent is Europe or NBA-DL.

EDIT: Meant combo guard not combo forward.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2010, 12:06:28 PM by Brendan »

« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2010, 04:31:00 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

You probably would have been much better off making a Luke Jackson comparison than Alexander.  Alexander was a raw athlete who was also a major tweener.  Babbit is much more skilled, and polished.  The question with him is whether he has the athleticism to hang in the league.
Whatever. I wasn't trying to select a player with similar skills or game or polished or not.

My point is that for some reason, every year it seems some guy, whether black or white, whether polished or raw, whether athletic or not, goes flying up the boards after the college season ends and then becomes a complete bust.

Whether I chose Joe Alexander, Yi Jianlian, Shelden Williams, Sean May, Luke Jackson, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, or DaJuan Wagner is unimportant. What is important is that it seems every year someone is out to find that hidden" talent that no one knew about and his films start appearing everywhere and he gets tons of media burn and someone ends up taking him and regrets it for years.

I think Babbit is that guy this year.

« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2010, 04:42:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352

You know, the chair still hasn't gotten over its performance in that workout. Just devastated. Poor thing.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2010, 04:44:24 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

Whatever. I wasn't trying to select a player with similar skills or game or polished or not.

My point is that for some reason, every year it seems some guy, whether black or white, whether polished or raw, whether athletic or not, goes flying up the boards after the college season ends and then becomes a complete bust.

Whether I chose Joe Alexander, Yi Jianlian, Shelden Williams, Sean May, Luke Jackson, Nikoloz Tskitishvili, or DaJuan Wagner is unimportant. What is important is that it seems every year someone is out to find that hidden" talent that no one knew about and his films start appearing everywhere and he gets tons of media burn and someone ends up taking him and regrets it for years.

The thing is though, some other guys who have been on that list are Brandon Roy, Al Jefferson, Roddy Beaubois, Russell Westbrook, Jason Thompson, and Andrew Bynum.

So yes, there is the possibilities that guys are simply overthinking it, but there is also plenty of reason to think that the mock drafters are simply late to the game on this kid.  

Drafting is an inexact science, and projections from the media/mock draft sites is pretty darn close to guesswork.  So to suggest that just because Chad Ford or Jay Bilas is catching up to these players does not mean that the GM's haven't been all over them for months and months.  

« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2010, 04:57:13 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

The thing is though, some other guys who have been on that list are Brandon Roy, Al Jefferson, Roddy Beaubois, Russell Westbrook, Jason Thompson, and Andrew Bynum.

So yes, there is the possibilities that guys are simply overthinking it, but there is also plenty of reason to think that the mock drafters are simply late to the game on this kid.  

Drafting is an inexact science, and projections from the media/mock draft sites is pretty darn close to guesswork.  So to suggest that just because Chad Ford or Jay Bilas is catching up to these players does not mean that the GM's haven't been all over them for months and months.  
And I'm not saying that.

What I am saying is that every year there is one guy that jumps up the board that everyone is wrong about and that this year that player is Babbit.

I'm not trying to comment on how Babbit compares to other failures and why he is better than them.

I'm not trying to comment on how the media effects the draft.

I'm not trying to comment on how often GMs get guys right versus getting them wrong no matter when they show up on the mock draft boards.

All I am trying to say is Babbit, to me, is that guy this year that turns out to be a huge failure and coincidentally, like many other years, he showed up late high in the mock drafts

« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2010, 05:34:55 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

And I'm not saying that.

What I am saying is that every year there is one guy that jumps up the board that everyone is wrong about and that this year that player is Babbit.

I'm not trying to comment on how Babbit compares to other failures and why he is better than them.

I'm not trying to comment on how the media effects the draft.

I'm not trying to comment on how often GMs get guys right versus getting them wrong no matter when they show up on the mock draft boards.

All I am trying to say is Babbit, to me, is that guy this year that turns out to be a huge failure and coincidentally, like many other years, he showed up late high in the mock drafts

In that case, I simply disagree.  I think Babbit will be a quality NBA player.  I am not sure he will be a star, but I think he is one of the safer bits in the draft to be a rotation player in the NBA. 

I want to see how he measures out at the Chicago camp to project anything more than that, but I think his skillset as an exceptional and consistent shooter and scorer translates to the NBA.  And at 19, I have no problem with them picking someone like that.

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2010, 07:08:34 PM »

Offline MattD

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 46
I don't think the name has been mentioned yet, but he looks to me a bit like Mike Miller: on one hand limited, but on the other a little more versatile than normally given credit for.

I wouldn't hate the pick, but it really depends on who is available -- and also what happens with Ray, TA, and Paul.