Author Topic: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"  (Read 50731 times)

Re: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 08:53:35 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.
Michael Smith?

"He plays like Larry...we hope."  :D
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2010, 12:07:28 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
with the current state of the NBA its tough for anyone to defend on the perimeter. If he measures at a legit 6'9 with decent length then he should be fine on D most teams dont have physical low post PFs anyways. His offence looks promising he can really shoot and with rondo's penetration this is key. worst case we get Austin Croshere 2.0 coming off the bench for the next few years
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2010, 03:59:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
He looks like a 6'9" version of Delonte West to me.

I thought the same exact thing when I saw the video.  Upside being a more athletic Chris Mullin ?

Shot looks nice, but can he defend ?
A more athletic Chris Mullin??

You people comparing him to Chris Mullin realize just how outstanding a player Chris Mullin was, right?

He was first team All-NBA once and 2nd team All-NBA twice and won the Wooden Trophy as the nations best college player in 1985. Over a 5 year period his average year was 25.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.5 APG, 52% FG%, 1.9 STPG and 0.7 BPG.

To compare, Pierce only made the All-NBA 2nd team once and he never made an All-NBA 1st team. Chris Mullin was probably every bit as good a SF in his day as Pierce is and has been. Do you think this kid has the potential to be as good as Paul Pierce?

« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2010, 04:21:30 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I thought the same exact thing when I saw the video.  Upside being a more athletic Chris Mullin ?

You people comparing him to Chris Mullin realize just how outstanding a player Chris Mullin was, right?

He was first team All-NBA once and 2nd team All-NBA twice and won the Wooden Trophy as the nations best college player in 1985. Over a 5 year period his average year was 25.5 PPG, 5.5 RPG, 4.5 APG, 52% FG%, 1.9 STPG and 0.7 BPG.

To compare, Pierce only made the All-NBA 2nd team once and he never made an All-NBA 1st team. Chris Mullin was probably every bit as good a SF in his day as Pierce is and has been. Do you think this kid has the potential to be as good as Paul Pierce?

Maybe they mean when Mullin was drinking.

« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2010, 04:43:34 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

"Run TMC" was an amazing team to watch, and scary as hell!  I think Chris Mullin is underrated because people want to believe he was a slow afoot white guy who was nothing more than a spot-up shooter.  They couldn't be further from the truth...one great player.
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #35 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:08 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.

"Run TMC" was an amazing team to watch, and scary as hell!  I think Chris Mullin is underrated because people want to believe he was a slow afoot white guy who was nothing more than a spot-up shooter.  They couldn't be further from the truth...one great player haircut.

fixed

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #36 on: May 07, 2010, 04:57:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

Maybe they mean when Mullin was drinking.
TP4U BBall. That got a chuckle out of me.

« Reply #37 on: May 07, 2010, 05:04:08 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith

"Run TMC" was an amazing team to watch, and scary as hell!  I think Chris Mullin is underrated because people want to believe he was a slow afoot white guy who was nothing more than a spot-up shooter.  They couldn't be further from the truth...one great player.
He was just awesome in the open court and by that I mean in his efficiency and variety not in the way it's meant nowadays which is that he can do a monster dunk. Mullin could stop and pop on the break all the way out to three, he could pass, he could run the floor and finish and he was a hell of a passer.

Mullin was an unreal all around talent and he is just not being given the respect he deserves.

And the Run TMC team was awesome to behold.

« Reply #38 on: May 07, 2010, 06:17:49 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
I want a player from a big time conference this year.  I know we aren't going to get a stud, but a guy like Lance Stephenson.  A big east guy who got to play against guys who will be playing in the NBA.  Sign Ray for 2 years and then let Stephenson be the guy.  Maybe go get Ebanks, who is going to be an NBA ready 3 on the defensive side of the ball.  I just feel as if we'll be more successful taking a guy who got to play in a big time conference.
do it

« Reply #39 on: May 07, 2010, 10:35:27 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Hard to project WAC stats for a tweener.  A friend of a friend, Adrian Oliver, a skinny 6'3 kid from Modesto, killed it for San Jose State and he wouldn't stick out all that much (physically) at a pick-up game.

Nick Fazekas looked like a beast in the WAC.  6'7 Paul Millsap was a bonafide shot blocker.  Dominic McGuire was a do everything point forward.  Javale McGee was breaking ankles off the dribble.

Fellow WAC-job Paul George inspires similar skepticism from me.

Still, if he can shoot the NBA 3 (unlike Luke Jackson, Adam Morrison) and hustle, he'll find a place in the league.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2010, 04:10:29 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Here's the thing - it all comes down to who can he guard?  I'm always skeptical of white players being able to translate their game to the pro level, and I'm white myself (although I tend to think that there is but one race, and that is the human one.  On those forms where you have to check the box about your background, you know, are you a caucasian, latin american, african american, etc.?, I always check the "other" box and write in human, but that's just me.).  I mean, for every Troy Murphy, Mike Dunleavy jr., Brad Miller, and Jason Williams in today's NBA, there have been a million busts in the form of Adam Morrison, Luke Jackson, and Joe Kleine.  That doesn't mean that I have something against a player just because he's white, but lets be honest - does anyone think that this guy will be a star in the NBA after going up against weaker competition in the WAC (he's not exactly playing in the Big East)?  I should also point out that I'm a pessimist by nature and have never seen him play, so I'm probobly wrong about him.  I wish the kid well and it would be cool if he became a perennial allstar, but I'm just not buying it (although if we select him, I hope I am horribly wrong and presently surprised).  Paul George is just as good a shooter, a good passer, and is so much more athletic (according to nbadraft.net), but he also plays in a weak conference (I've also never seen him play, either).  From the scouting reports and YouTube clips of both players, I can say the following:

- Luke Babbitt seems to be a mix between Troy Murphy (jump shot) and Anthony Mason (ball handling and passing for his size, more athletic than Mason, but not the rebounder or defender).
- Paul George seems to be a mix between Rashard Lewis (the way he shoots the ball, anyway) and Tayshaun Prince (in terms of body build).  Maybe he's the next Danny Granger, Rudy Gay, or Tracy McGrady, or maybe he's the next Gerald Green.  Who knows?

Bottom line - we need to draft well this year, and I could care less about the color of the players' skin; I just want the best player available (we need to find our Reggie Lewis).  Don't let us down, Danny.

« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2010, 04:29:11 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Best case scenario, Memphis falls in love with him, thinks we'll take him, and offers 25+28 to move up and we get Larry Sanders + willie warren/avery bradley/paul george.

True. Anytime you can deal with Chris Wallace, you know you are going to get the better end of the deal ;)

« Reply #42 on: May 11, 2010, 08:05:49 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118

So just because Mullin was oustanding means Babbit can't be ?

I'm from the bay area.  Grew up watching Mullin.  His shot was dead on if you left him open and he had great hands.  However, he could still be beaten like a drum on the defensive end with no help.  There is no comparison between him and Paul.  Pierce was the better overall offensive player, and by far a better defender.

We all don't know what Babbit can and will be.

« Reply #43 on: May 11, 2010, 08:07:41 PM »

Offline bbd24

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 118

He was just awesome in the open court and by that I mean in his efficiency and variety not in the way it's meant nowadays which is that he can do a monster dunk. Mullin could stop and pop on the break all the way out to three, he could pass, he could run the floor and finish and he was a hell of a passer.

Mullin was an unreal all around talent and he is just not being given the respect he deserves.

And the Run TMC team was awesome to behold.

Run TMC was awesome to behold.  However, their defense, not so much.  Theres a reason they inserted the " run " before TMC in there.  They tried to outscore you at will.

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2010, 01:53:49 PM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I follow Louisiana Tech so Ive seen Babbit and George a little.  I like Babbit, I couldnt stand it that he had so much success against Tech.  George has more physical abilities, but Babbit is a much better basketball player.

I think we do need to draft a sf to backup Pierce.  Babbit or Gordon Hayward will get the Larry comparisons right off the bat if Boston picks one of them.  Playing behind Pierce will give them time to learn from one of the best and not have pressure to be great from day one. 

Speaking of Millsap, I wanted the Celtics to get him with their 2nd rd pick that year so bad being a Tech fan and a C's fan.    It worked out for him in Utah and I think going with BBD from that other school in Louisiana worked out well for Boston.