Author Topic: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"  (Read 50970 times)

Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"
« on: May 06, 2010, 02:01:41 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

why is Luke Babbit considered a first round lock now?

Chad Ford:

I don't think he's a lock for the first round. However, a couple of teams, the Jazz Grizzlies Celtics, appear to like him a lot. It only takes one team. The Jazz are picking at No. 9 which is too high.  Grizzlies have picks at 12 and 25. Celtics pick 19. I would say the range is 19-25 then

Does anyone know anything about this kid? I don't think I have ever seen him play.

Re: Chad Ford "C's like Luke Babbit (Nevada) a lot"
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 02:06:33 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Ford also gave the C's Babbit in his first Mock draft. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-100506

I haven't seen him play, but he is intriguing.  He sounds like an exceptional shooter from the SF position, who is not a great athlete (although I have heard he may be better than he is given credit for).

Danny has always had a thing from guys from smaller conference West coast schools, so he would certainly fit that category. 

Ultimately, while I would prefer someone athletic, if he is as good a shooter as advertised at 6'9" (can anyone comment on how quick his release is?), then I think he would be a very interesting pick up.  Sounds a lot like Linas Kleiza, or Wally Szerbiak. 

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 02:12:28 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:20:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
Ford also gave the C's Babbit in his first Mock draft. 

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/draft2010/insider/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=MockDraft-100506

I haven't seen him play, but he is intriguing.  He sounds like an exceptional shooter from the SF position, who is not a great athlete (although I have heard he may be better than he is given credit for).

Danny has always had a thing from guys from smaller conference West coast schools, so he would certainly fit that category. 

Ultimately, while I would prefer someone athletic, if he is as good a shooter as advertised at 6'9" (can anyone comment on how quick his release is?), then I think he would be a very interesting pick up.  Sounds a lot like Linas Kleiza, or Wally Szerbiak. 

After watching the highlights I just posted, he appears to be a pretty good athelete, much more fluid than Wally or Linas Kleiza. He also looks like he could potentially be a go to scorer because he can handle the ball and shoot off the dribble.

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 02:30:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Why do so so so many of these prognosticators always seem to have Danny picking a white player? Is it just me or does your in and year out the experts around the country always peg the Celtics as taking some mediocre talented white kid that isn't that athletic.

Last year late in the draft I saw a lot of people giving the C's Nick Calathes. The year before that it was Trent Plaisted and Kostas Koufos. And in other years other guys. Am I the only one who sees these guys doing this?

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
seems like a decent offensive player.  I don't know if he's the one I want the C's picking with #19 and I'm sure he'll be gone by #52.  If the C's pick up another late 1st rounder and he's available, I'd be ok with the pick (like Danny has to check with me first  ::))

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2010, 02:39:20 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Why do so so so many of these prognosticators always seem to have Danny picking a white player? Is it just me or does your in and year out the experts around the country always peg the Celtics as taking some mediocre talented white kid that isn't that athletic.

Last year late in the draft I saw a lot of people giving the C's Nick Calathes. The year before that it was Trent Plaisted and Kostas Koufos. And in other years other guys. Am I the only one who sees these guys doing this?

Well, I wouldn't put Chad Ford in that group of guys who just gives Danny random guys.  He seems to have some legit sources (perhaps Ainge himself) in the C's organization. 

I also think you might be cherry picking examples, because I don't think there was a ton of buzz about the C's and Koufos and Calathes.  Plaisted was connected to the C's because he worked out for them well, and people were building up the BYU connection. 

« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2010, 02:46:25 PM »

Offline Mike-Dub

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 28

why is Luke Babbit considered a first round lock now?

Chad Ford:

I don't think he's a lock for the first round. However, a couple of teams, the Jazz Grizzlies Celtics, appear to like him a lot. It only takes one team. The Jazz are picking at No. 9 which is too high.  Grizzlies have picks at 12 and 25. Celtics pick 19. I would say the range is 19-25 then

Does anyone know anything about this kid? I don't think I have ever seen him play.

I saw him play in person at the URI Vs. Nevada NIT game in which Danny Ainge was at the game (A friend of mine got to meet Danny, lucky!), and Babbitt got shutdown and showed up by Delroy James, who isn't even close to an NBA talent yet.

But I've never seen Babbitt play any other time, but the stats he had during the season were pretty darn impressive.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 02:52:50 PM by Mike-Dub »
"It's all about having the heart of a champion." - #34 Paul Pierce

« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I know i cant judge this kid based on that video alone, but he looks like a great player to add to this team. The thing I like the most is that he has an above the rim game...Something the Celtics lack grrrrreatly.

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2010, 03:10:15 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think it's the Larry Bird thing...people always think to give the Celtics the next Larry-type player.

You can't really judge by highlight videos...the kid looks good but it's difficult to say.  Larry Sanders and Stanley Robinson excite me a lot more.  This team needs length and athleticism, not skill players with limited ceilings.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2010, 03:20:46 PM »

Offline Celts17Pride

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 11
He looks like a 6'9" version of Delonte West to me.

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2010, 03:31:21 PM »

Online hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2666
  • bammokja
here is the draftexpress write up...

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Luke-Babbitt-1340/

from the video above and the links, what is not to like at #19? the guy can clearly shoot the ball from all over the court.

he looks like a smart player, sees the court well, has very nice shooting technique, a good shooting guard/small forward who can score from mid-range and beyond.

in 32 minutes a game, he averaged 22 points and 9 rebounds. not bad.

on the video i did not see him penetrate to the basket, but i guess if he could do everything he would not be available at #19, right?

dont know about his defense the write ups say he is not great, but plays smart defense and puts effort into it.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2010, 03:38:24 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• John Havlicek
  • Tommy Points: 658
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i have followed the kid...he originally committed to ohio state and was set to play with evan turner but switched very late in the game. kid can play...little bit smaller version of try murphy

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2010, 03:47:23 PM »

Offline Scribbles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 107
Babbit isn't that good. Like someone said Delroy James shut him down. Held him to 2-14 shooting from the field. He also struggled big time against other "major" programs. (2-11 vs UNLV, 5-18 vs UNC)  He pretty much dominated a mid-major conference because he was a big recruit coming out of high school but chose to stay close to home instead. If we're going to take a white guy, then you have to go with Gordon Hayward, who is by far better than Babbit,and has proved so.

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 03:49:17 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm worried about him being an adam morrison type...just can't cut it once he's in the NBA day in day out. If he's so slow that defense is going to be a known issue, not sure he'll translate to offense either. Best case scenario, Memphis falls in love with him, thinks we'll take him, and offers 25+28 to move up and we get Larry Sanders + willie warren/avery bradley/paul george.