Author Topic: Derrick Favors the best PF in 5 years  (Read 5313 times)

Derrick Favors the best PF in 5 years
« on: May 05, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »

Offline vgulab

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 54
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHld4VItav0

H:  6' 10"
W: 246 lbs
Bday: 07/15/1991
(18 Years Old)

He is athletic and has the size. Great defensive player smart and quick to guard the perimetar and strong inside. Amazing rebounder on both ends. A dunking machine. Great potencial. Maybe Turner is the best player on this draft but the biggest potencial is Favors. My prediction is that he will be the next PF superstar for few years i mean he is only 18.Imagine him playing for the Celtics learning from great PF K.G. and playing with Rondo. Favors is so athletic and he run the floor great so we will be seeing alley-oops all night long.
I think that this guy is a great investment for the future. Perkins,Sheed, Davis i don't know but i'm ready to give this guys and even more if it's needed for D.Favors

Re: Derrick Favors the best PF in 5 years
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:19:15 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RHld4VItav0

H:  6' 10"
W: 246 lbs
Bday: 07/15/1991
(18 Years Old)

He is athletic and has the size. Great defensive player smart and quick to guard the perimetar and strong inside. Amazing rebounder on both ends. A dunking machine. Great potencial. Maybe Turner is the best player on this draft but the biggest potencial is Favors. My prediction is that he will be the next PF superstar for few years i mean he is only 18.Imagine him playing for the Celtics learning from great PF K.G. and playing with Rondo. Favors is so athletic and he run the floor great so we will be seeing alley-oops all night long.
I think that this guy is a great investment for the future. Perkins,Sheed, Davis i don't know but i'm ready to give this guys and even more if it's needed for D.Favors
Not sure I can agree with this. Blake Griffin is a beast and I fully expect him to be the 2010-11 NBA Rookie of the Year. He has 20/10 potential from the very get go written all over his game.

Blake is bigger, stronger, nastier, a better finisher, probably a better athlete and is way more NBA ready.

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:54:18 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
Never saw him have an overpowering game

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 10:21:29 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
blake is already olowakandi 2.0 right ahead of oden

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 10:29:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
blake is already olowakandi 2.0 right ahead of oden
I think that statement is going to be so far from being the truth that it will become comical.

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58:48 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I doubt Griffin will be an olowokandi type bust, but i think he's far from a sure thing superstar either. I think he was seen as the consensus #1 in what was regarded as a pretty weak draft. It' a big surprise how deep the draft has been, and most of that quality is actually in guards, and is more depth in quality starters than superstars. Remember that when in doubt, bigs get drafted over smalls, so that's pretty much how he ended up #1: he was a big guy with the fewest question marks. But looking at the rookies this year, it's not as if he had to beat out a lot of great big guys...i mean, the most impressive big in this year's class is probably Blair, who went in the second round because he literally has no meniscus in his knees. So he could easily end up being a solid starter, and not a superstar 20-10 guy.

Also keep in mind that Favors is a freshman and Griffin came out after his sophomore year, and Griffin's sophomore stats were much better than his freshman stats. If you compare freshman years, they're pretty comprable:

----------Min----PPG--RPG--APG---TO---FG%--FT%--BPG-STPG-PPS
Griffin: 28.4--14.7--9.1--1.8--2.3--.568--.589--.8--1.0--1.49
Favors:  27.5--12.4--8.4--1.0--2.5--.611--.629--2.1--.9--1.53

So similar minutes, Favors slightly fewer points, rebounds, and assists, but noticeably more efficient on offense. (this may be key considering one major criticism of georgia tech was that their guards were terrible and didn't get the ball to the bigs). One thing that stands out to me is the blocks per game: .8 for blake compared to 2.1 for Favors. This could be quite indicative of a major athletic advantage for Favors, that could lead to more success in the NBA, when everyone is an elite athlete.

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 11:18:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Blocks are not an indicator of athleticism.

Griffin has a 36" vertical leap. And excellent speed for a big man.

Favors gets his blocks because he has an extraordinary wingspan and an unreal standing reach, like over 9 feet. But athletically, Griffin is his equal or better.

Also, though it is fair to compare their freshman years, I think it is also fair to mention the reason Griffin took such a huge jump to consensus #1 pick was not because of such a weak draft but because of the realization of the untapped potential he showed in his sophomore year.

PPG from 14.1 to 22.7
RPG from 9.1 to 14.4
BPG from 0.8 to 1.2
STPG from 1.0 to 1.1
FG% from 56.8 to 65.4

That's some very impressive progression.

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 11:24:38 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
Never saw him have an overpowering game

Agreed.  I saw an athletic player who had a lot of issues offensively.  Thinking of recent one year power forwards, I think Bosh had a far superior year to Favors.
do it

« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2010, 10:44:39 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Favors reminds me a little of Mo Speights in Philly. 
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 10:10:33 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Griffin, if healthy, will be better for a number of years imo....
He's the real deal...I think he'll be a better all around player than Favors.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2010, 11:54:21 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
Griffin, if healthy, will be better for a number of years imo....
He's the real deal...I think he'll be a better all around player than Favors.

I see Blake's ceiling as a Carlos Boozer type (perhaps with a bit more athleticism).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2010, 01:32:26 PM »

Offline RondoKid

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
Favors is very raw. He is gonna take a couple of years to develop. Which may never happen, leaving him as a bust.