Author Topic: "Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction  (Read 23735 times)

Re: "Crab dribble" and Doc's reaction
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2010, 12:25:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
As funny as this is... that was not a travel. He took the jump stop off the dribble, which is totally legal (but shouldn't be).

The elevation he got on the jump stop made it look awfully fishy though.

I think he had actually already picked up his dribble and taken a step before the jump stop.

Funny, how the Cavs fan is in the minority believing that it was a travel.

It's hard for me to tell on the video whether he took a step after his dribble.  Watching it last night, I certainly thought it was.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2010, 12:32:41 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
I am not surprised to see so many people thinking it wasn't a travel. However I believe he takes an intial step with his left foot after he picked up his dribble then took the hop step. The step with the left foot and the picking up of the dribble are very close together but I believe the dribble happened before.

Agree with Goz here, that, the crab dribble was not even close to the most egregious call in the game.

Refs often call fouls on defenders who are holding their ground while the offensive player puts their head down and goes to the hoop. Most people believe that if the guy has position and fall down it is a charge, otherwise it is a block. In actuality if the defender is in position to take a charge gets the contact and doesn't flop it should be a no call, not a block. Calling the game this way lends itself to the flopping that has getting worse year by year. Lebron goes to the line about 4-5 times a game on average from just barreling into people who have position.

Also the league needs to start fining people for acting and drawing calls. I love Delonte but when Rondo swiped his hand in front of Dwest's face then West grabs his face like he's been hit only there was no contact, that was just wrong. What made it worse was apparently his vision was good enough after getting "hit" to look up quickly to see if a call was made.

I was going to write about the travel only, but I agree with everything you just wrote.  Great points, so tommy point to you!

I DVR'd the game--in slow motion/freeze frame--Rondo DID hit Delonte in the face---You could see the mark on his nose when he was shooting the ft's...

BUT, it has been MO WILLIAMS who is acting like he gets shot every time someone gets near him(on Pierce's Tech)--and he also ran into Rasheed whilst dribbling up the court-runs into Sheed and falls down,FOUL!--and then he giggles about it....TOTAL actor/flopper---and Sideshow Bob hasn't even started on his acting yet.

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2010, 12:36:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
As funny as this is... that was not a travel. He took the jump stop off the dribble, which is totally legal (but shouldn't be).

The elevation he got on the jump stop made it look awfully fishy though.

I think he had actually already picked up his dribble and taken a step before the jump stop.

Funny, how the Cavs fan is in the minority believing that it was a travel.

It's hard for me to tell on the video whether he took a step after his dribble.  Watching it last night, I certainly thought it was.

We need another angle. Someone get on it.

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2010, 12:42:35 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
BTW, travel or not I don't think this is the infamous "crab dribble".  I think that's where LeBron kind of slams the ball down quickly while facing sideways or back to the basket and then takes 3 or 4 steps to the rim.  He doesn't really do that anymore since the league decided to start calling it.  This was just a jumpstop move, legal or not.

EDIT:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jHZf3mWERfc

So, similar, but not quite the same.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:56:01 PM by fairweatherfan »

« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2010, 12:52:47 PM »

Offline ben

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 43
lol ive watched it ten times, I think its a travel.  Isn't it two steps after the ball leaves your hands, not two steps after you pick up the dribble.  He takes 2 steps after ball leaves his hands then does a jump stop so it seems like a travel.  i love basketball

« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2010, 01:00:35 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9
I am not surprised to see so many people thinking it wasn't a travel. However I believe he takes an intial step with his left foot after he picked up his dribble then took the hop step. The step with the left foot and the picking up of the dribble are very close together but I believe the dribble happened before.

Agree with Goz here, that, the crab dribble was not even close to the most egregious call in the game.

Refs often call fouls on defenders who are holding their ground while the offensive player puts their head down and goes to the hoop. Most people believe that if the guy has position and fall down it is a charge, otherwise it is a block. In actuality if the defender is in position to take a charge gets the contact and doesn't flop it should be a no call, not a block. Calling the game this way lends itself to the flopping that has getting worse year by year. Lebron goes to the line about 4-5 times a game on average from just barreling into people who have position.

Also the league needs to start fining people for acting and drawing calls. I love Delonte but when Rondo swiped his hand in front of Dwest's face then West grabs his face like he's been hit only there was no contact, that was just wrong. What made it worse was apparently his vision was good enough after getting "hit" to look up quickly to see if a call was made.

I was going to write about the travel only, but I agree with everything you just wrote.  Great points, so tommy point to you!

I DVR'd the game--in slow motion/freeze frame--Rondo DID hit Delonte in the face---You could see the mark on his nose when he was shooting the ft's...

BUT, it has been MO WILLIAMS who is acting like he gets shot every time someone gets near him(on Pierce's Tech)--and he also ran into Rasheed whilst dribbling up the court-runs into Sheed and falls down,FOUL!--and then he giggles about it....TOTAL actor/flopper---and Sideshow Bob hasn't even started on his acting yet.

good call on the Mo Williams acting job. Too bad Reggie Miller can't take his eyes off of Lebron to see it and comment on it.

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Doc's reaction is just priceless, he stays calm but counts the number of steps taken by LeBron...

No question that is a travel. When you jump stop, you have to take off with two feet. You can't two step like Lebron did. That is an easy call.h
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2010, 01:30:30 PM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30

No question that is a travel. When you jump stop, you have to take off with two feet. You can't two step like Lebron did. That is an easy call.h

Exactly.  when he lifts that left foot up, he establishes his right foot as his pivot, as soon he jumped off that right foot and did not shoot or pass, it should have been travel.
do it

« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2010, 02:24:21 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Just to be clear for anyone that has said something to the effect of I'm not sure he took two steps before the jump stop.

If you take any steps and then come to a jump stop it is a travel (provided you had picked up your dribble before the step).

TP to MaxwellSmart for looking at the replay in slow Mo. Watching it live and seeing Delonte look up right after the call (as if he was a soccer player for Barcelona) seemed suspect. But if you watched it in slow Mo and are confident that he was hit I will trust you.

You are right about Mo Williams, Pierce was clearly trying to grab him to stop him and hold Mo up. Mo made the conscious decision to fall to the ground to see if he could draw flagrant or a tech.

The NBA playoffs, where acting happens.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19