Author Topic: Celtics (0-1) at Cavaliers (1-0) Game 2 5/3  (Read 118700 times)

Celtics (0-1) at Cavaliers (1-0) Game 2 5/3
« on: May 02, 2010, 05:08:04 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
  at 
Boston Celtics (0-1, 4-2) at Cleveland Cavaliers (1-0, 5-1)
Monday, May 3
8:00 PM ET
Round 2,   Game 2
Game #7, Road Game #4
TV:  TNT   
Quicken Loans Arena 

Probable Starters

Rajon Rondo/  Ray Allen/   Paul Pierce/   Kevin Garnett/   Kendrick Perkins

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Glen Davis
Tony Allen
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Brian Scalabrine
Michael Finley
Marquis Daniels
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette 

Injuries
None

Probable Starters

Mo Williams/  Anthony Parker/  LeBron James/  Antawn Jamison/  Shaquille O'Neal

Reserves
Daniel Gibson
Delonte West
Jamario Moon
Jawad Williams
Daniel Green
Leon Powe 
zydrunas Ilgauskas
Sebastian Telfair
Anderson Varejao
JJ Hickson   

Injuries
None (There is nothing wrong with LeBaby's elbow)

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo   14.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG,  10.2 APG,  +22.6
Mo Williams   15.6 PPG,  2.6 RPG,   5.2 APG,  +13.8
In Game 1, Rondo had 27 points, 12 assists and 6 rebounds.  Williams put up 20 points, 6 assists and 5 rebounds.  Rondo began the game very aggressive on both ends of the court and he got the Celtics off to a good start.   But when he was forced to the bench with foul trouble, Mo Williams went on a scoring streak to get the Cavs back into the game. This wasn't the first time that the Celtics have gotten burned by Mo Williams getting hot late in the game.  They have to do a better job of defending him to keep this from happening again.    The Celtics need Rondo to be aggressive again in this game but he had to try to stay out of foul trouble and not allow Mo Williams to find his stroke. 

vs 
Paul Pierce    19.6 PPG,  5.6 RPG,  3.2 APG, +18.2
LeBron James  31.8 PPG,  9.8 RPG,  8.2 APG,  +38.6
In Game 1, Pierce got off to a good start but seemed to struggle once hs picked up a couple quick fouls.  He finished with 13 points (5-17) and was just 1-6 from beyond the arc.  He also had 2 rebounds, 3 assists and 4 turnovers.   LeBron on the other hand put up 35 points, 7 rebounds, 7 assists, 3 steals, and 2 blocks with his boo boo elbow.   There is nothing wrong with LeBron's elbow.  On at least 2 occasions I saw him clear space by shoving said elbow into the chest of a Celtic. He also never hesitated or had any limited movement in it.  Hopefully the Celtics realize that by now.   The Celtics must get a better game from Pierce both on offense and on defense in order for the Celtics to win.  Shooting 29% from the field just won't get it done. When his shot isn't falling he must take it into the paint and not continue to settle for outside shots. 

Honorable Mention
  vs 
Kevin Garnett    15.8 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 2.5 APG,  +21.5
Antawn Jamison   19.4 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 1.6 APG,  +20.4
If there was one bright spot in game 1 for the Celtics, it was the play of Kevin Garnett.  He looked healthy and his lift was back, as was his lateral movement on defense.  He finished with 18 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists,  2 steals and 3 blocks.  He also played great defense on Jamison who finished with 7 points, 9 rebounds, 1 steal and 2 blocks.  The Celtics will need more of the same from KG and hopefully the other two stars will come through with better play to back him up.

Players to Watch
and
The Celtics will depend on Big Baby and Tony Allen to give them energy off the bench and to give them a boost when the starters get a rest.  Big Baby will need to crash the boards and keep Varejao from getting so many easy rebounds and put backs in this game.

and 
Varejao and West are the Cavs energy guys.   The Cavs depend on both to give them a lift on both ends of the court.   Varejao had 6 rebounds in game 1, 4 of which were on the offensive end. 

Game Notes
The Celtics now have to bounce back from a tough loss in game 1 and focus on trying to get a split in Cleveland.   They have some positives to take away from the first game.  KG played very well.  They showed that they can play with the Cavs when they play their game.  In the first half we saw Celtics defense and team play and they were up by 11 at the half. 

But as has happened all too often this season, in the third period, they got away from their defense and got away from the team play.  The ball stopped moving and they allowed way too many easy baskets for the Cavs.    A big part of the problem was the fact that many of the Celtics were in foul trouble and it is hard to maintain aggressiveness when you are trying not to pick up your 4th or 5th foul.

The Celtics have to realize that they won't get calls, especially in Cleveland, and they need to keep playing regardless.  They can't let bad calls or no calls take them out of their game as they did in game 1.  The foul trouble and the lack of calls added to it, but the Cavs upped their intensity and the Celtics didn't match it.   They let the Cavs' defense take them out of their game.   Celtics stopped being aggressive.  They stopped going to the basket and settled for jumpers that weren't falling.  They must do a better job of keeping their focus and playing their game regardless of what the refs or the Cavs do. 

Keys to the Game
Defense  Defense wins championships, period.  The Celtics did a great job of playing their style of defense in the first half, but when the Cavs came back with some tough defense of their own, the Celtics abandoned theirs.  The Celtics must play tough defense from start to finish.  They have to get stops and not try to outscore the Cavs, which they won't be able to do.   

Rebound  The Celtics must do a better job on the boards.  They have to chase down rebounds and box out to get them rather than settle for the ones that come to them.   The rebounds in game 1 were even at 41, but in the first half, the Celtics out-rebounded the Cavs and they were up by 11.  But in the second half, the Celtics allowed the Cavs to get 2nd and 3rd chances at the basket.   Especially when Shaq is getting several tries at the basket, they have to foul him and make him earn it on the line.  Don't give the Cavs easy tip ins. 

Take Care of the Ball

The Celtics had 16 turnovers to just 11 for the Cavs.  The Cavs were able to turn those 16 turnovers into 23 points.  The Celtics only got 10 points off of the Cavs' 11 turnovers.  They have to take better care of the ball and limit their turnovers.  Without those 13 extra points that the Cavs got from the Celtics turnovers, the Celtics win the game in spite of everything else.

Play Hard for 48 Minutes
The Celtics must play hard for 48 minutes.  They can't afford to let up or the Cavs will make them pay for it.  In the first half, they played hard on defense and were aggressive in going to the basket but as has happened too many times this season,  after the half, they let up on defense and then stopped passing the ball and allowed the Cavs to get back into the game and take the lead.  They must focus and play team ball for 48 minutes.  No let ups. 

X-Factors
Officials and Focus 
The officials favored the Cavs enough in game 1 that even Cavs fans were amazed by it.  The Celtics will get more of the same in game 2 and they can't let that be an excuse to lose.  If they focus on playing their game and especially on playing defense, the Celtics can win in spite of how the game is called.  Good teams focus on their game and don't allow the officials to become a distraction.   If the Celtics do that, they have a good chance to win this game. 

Re: Celtics (0-1) at Cavaliers (1-0) Game 2 5/3
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 07:59:30 PM »

Offline thirstyboots18

• Chat Moderator
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 2584
TP FL.    Play aggressive ball on both ends of the floor.  If the Refs are going to blatently beat you and Stern wants the game degraded, it will be.  Don't let it affect your play!  Play with passion.  Don't be afraid of the Refs or of being fouled out or T'd up.  Just Play to Win for the Whole game and let the chips fall where they may!  If you do that, we will be proud of you no matter the outcome.  Good things will come of it.  Go Celts!!!
Yesterday is history.
Tomorrow is a mystery.
Today is a gift...
   That is why it is called the present.
Visit the CelticsBlog Live Game Chat!

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 08:04:09 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11832
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
TP FL.    Play aggressive ball on both ends of the floor.  If the Refs are going to blatently beat you and Stern wants the game degraded, it will be.  Don't let it affect your play!  Play with passion.  Don't be afraid of the Refs or of being fouled out or T'd up.  Just Play to Win for the Whole game and let the chips fall where they may!  If you do that, we will be proud of you no matter the outcome.  Good things will come of it.  Go Celts!!!

TP    Well said....

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
This team seems to run into trouble when Rondo is the one who is feeling it early in the game. It seems tough for Ray and Paul to get it going later on in the game when this is the case. It's a tough scenario because of Rondo's matchup advantage and how quickly he can burn Shaq in pick and roll situations. I think that's why we saw stagnation on the offensive end last game. It's easier to shut down Rondo than it is Pierce because of Rondo's shot.

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:31:52 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
TP FL. I'm very apprehensive about this game. I know it's definitely winnable but our tendency to go away from what is working well for us is what has me worried. We need to start the game with the same sense of urgency they did in Game 1 and not fall behind early. Then stay focused the rest of the way. I really hope Doc used the lessons from yesterday to come up with a topnotch 48 minutes game-plan and rotation. Goooooooo Celtics! (and Spurs)
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 11:02:34 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
TP, FLCeltsFan.

Celtics respond well to adversity. This won't be different. no ref, no supperstar, no homecourt will stop this team. C's on a mission. can't see Celtics losing game2.

Go Celtics

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 11:07:52 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
Just realized Game 3 is all the way on Friday. Now we really have to win this one because I can't go through the week with a loss on my mind. Yesterday ruined the rest of my weekend as it was. Please Cs do it for your neurotic fans everywhere  :-\
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 11:08:25 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
TP, FL.

I look for good things tomorrow.

We have the 2008 KG back. No limp..and according to a few posters here - no brace on his knee ;D. He looked to be on a mission last game - attacking the rim, blocking shots, etc.

Truly - Anything is Possible now.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 11:09:58 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes

Like my buddy Spartacus said: "Kill them all"
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2010, 12:49:24 PM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I will be really worried if we lose this one. But on the other hand, I'll love our chances if we win.

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2010, 12:50:29 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
This is not a must win but it's kind of close. We need this one or we're going to start doubting... plus, we don't have the "surprise effect" this time so I expect this game to be tougher than the first one.

Once again Rondo is key, I hope this time we go to him all the time, until the Cavs find a way to stop him (hopefully they won't).

Also, Doc has to do a better job of managing the Big Three's minutes, I thought the guys were tired at the end of the game saturday because they didn't rest enough in the 2nd half.

Hopefully Pierce will have a bounce back game, we need him to perform offensively. And I would like to see Marquis defend on LeBron in place of TA.

I think I won't be able to watch the game live now that the holidays are over, but I will see. In the worst case I will catch the replay tomorrow.

TP FL and let's go Celtics!!

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2010, 12:52:22 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
win and we steal home court advantage

lose and we're not exactly doomed, but we might be doo
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2010, 12:57:35 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I will be really worried if we lose this one. But on the other hand, I'll love our chances if we win.

7 game series are interesting beasts. By the time we get to game 5, I fully expect the series to be 2-2.

If the C's win tonight, I think Cleveland takes one in Boston.

If the C's loose tonight, I think they will defend their home court in the next two.

But anytime you can take a game on the road, you've got to finish. The edge, even for just a game or two, is taken in the series.

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2010, 01:02:47 PM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
Must win tonight. I would say play Nate see if he can spark a little something but scared that he hasn't played enough and could throw us into a hole that we cant get out of. Well TP as always. MUST WIN! HOOO RAHHH

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2010, 01:39:28 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Its not a must win, but we have to win in cleveland at some point to advance.

Better sooner than later.

Go Celtics let's shock the world!