Author Topic: Postmortem of Game 1: Good and Bad  (Read 3596 times)

Postmortem of Game 1: Good and Bad
« on: May 02, 2010, 02:29:56 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 187
This was a very interesting game, with both good and bad news in the outcome.

Let's do the bad first: The first is the worst...the bad, awful, burns in my guts news is that we should have won this game.  There's no way around that.  This game was winnable, we didn't win it, and those are the types of things that almost always come back to haunt in a toss-up series like this looks to be.

Also on the bad side, LeBron continues to be too much for Pierce.  I can't blame the Captain for that, as I'm not sure LeBron is human, but we (meaning Doc, Paul, the other Celtics, and as a side note the fans) need to recognize that and adjust our game plan/expectations.  In the last eight playoff games against LeBron, these are Pierce's lines:

Game 7: 41 points, 13-for-23 FG (57%), 5 assists, 4 reb, 4 TOs

Other 7 games: 15.4 points, 36-for-103 FG (35%), 3.3 asts, 4.7 reb, 3.4 TOs

All Celtics fans love Pierce.  But it's time to call a spade a spade...he simply can't be the focus of our offense against LeBron.  He can still raise his game maybe at a key time, but we can't have him shooting 17 times or running iso in the 4th quarter.  For the most part he has more turnovers than assists and shoots in the mid-30s against LeBron in the playoffs...recognize it and adjust the game plan.

Finally, the early returns in the Perk/Shaq matchup are poor.  Perk was able to keep Shaq quiet for most of the game, but in the 4th quarter, crunch time, when the Cavs needed a bucket they were able to consistently go to Shaq and Perk couldn't stop him.  That is not good, and something that has to be fixed as this series moves forward.

Bad news down, let's shift to the good side.  First news best news: we can beat this team.  The Boston Celtics absolutely, positively can beat this team.  Back in the day I was a big Evander Holyfield fan, and I hated Mike Tyson.  But Tyson was the big, bad man on the block even after he went to jail, so when he and Holyfield finally fought I argued with my best friend (a big Tyson fan) that Holyfield could win, and I gave all of the boxing reasons why.  But in my heart, where I didn't let anyone see, I secretly feared that when they fought Tyson would catch him with that one big shot and overwhelm him.  Through the first half of the fight I kept waiting for Tyson to land it, and eventually he did.  He caught Evander with a good one and stunned him.  He then went for the kill... but couldn't finish it, and Evander eventually recovered, and the fight continued.  And that's when it finally it him me...Tyson isn't better.  Holyfield can take his best shot.  Holyfield can beat him.

Tonight's game was similar to that fight.  Despite all of my analysis, despite all of my confidence...part of me was worried that the Cavs just had another gear that these Celtics couldn't reach.  But then I watched...even with the Cs controlling the first half, I was nervous...waiting for the other shoe to drop.  And eventually it did, and the Cavs landed their big shot and won this game, but you know...it wasn't a haymaker.  It took a Mo Williams blitz, some questionable calls by the refs and some (IMO) questionable decisions from the Cs for the Cavs to squeak this one out.  Both teams can play better, but the great news is that the Cavs just aren't a better team.  They might win the series...but we can beat them.

Second of all,
Garnett is almost all of the way back...through three quarters.  Through three quarters tonight I saw him be more offensively aggressive than I've seen him at any point this season, taking and making shots that he just hasn't attempted since he hurt his knee.  When he dribble-drive dunked on Varejao I stood up and cheered.  He has upped his minutes in the postseason back to the 35 - 36 min range, but you can tell that his legs haven't been all the way there in the 4th.  But he's getting close.

In the 4th quarters of the first 2 playoff games KG took only 3 shots total and grabbed only one combined board in those two quarters.  In the 4th quarter of the last two games KG has grabbed 5 boards, dished 3 assists, blocked a shot, and taken 9 shots himself.  The only thing is, you can tell that his legs are shaky because he has made only 3 of those 9 shots and is front-rimming a lot of them.  But he is obviously building up, getting more active and more assertive late, and with all of the time between games in this series there's a legit chance that he gets up to full speed before it's all said and done.

Finally, we saw that Rondo has another gear and the Cavs don't have an answer for him.  This is huge, because as I pointed out above...we can't rely on Pierce to be our initiator against the Cavs.  But as we've seen in the past two postseasons, and most clearly tonight, Rondo can do it.  Our late-game offense should be heavy on the Rondo/KG 2-man game, with Pierce and Allen both working off screens and setting up to take advantage of a defense that is shifted to defend Rondo and KG.  That is where our bread should be buttered in this series.

Conclusion:
The Cavs are a quick-strike team.  They aren't the type to apply steady pressure over a game, but instead they kind of coast along and then go on scoring binges that either catch them up or pull them away.  We can be a quick-strike team when Pierce and Allen are the drivers.  But we also can be a steady, grind it out team when we play through Rondo and KG.  That is what we need, moving forward.  To ride our volume scorers when they're hot to quick-strike, but to recognize when to shift to our steady plodders when we need consistent offense.  If we can figure out that balance, we can absolutely win this series.  Game 1 was informative.  We lost, so I hate it.  But Monday can't get here fast enough, because dangit we can take this team...and I'm already chomping at the bit to see the next opportunity play itself out.

Re: Postmortem of Game 1: Good and Bad
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 02:44:50 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
Tonight was a tough one, but neither us nor the Celtics can afford to get wrapped up around the axle over this. The adjustments needed are to find a solution to shut down their bench production. It may come in the form of tighter rotations and playing Rondo, Ray Allen and Pierce 40 minutes. Mo Williams beat us tonight in the 2nd half. Hickson kicked Glen Davis's butt. I called for Doc to put Perkins in the 4ht qtr and he did it 3 possesstions too late. It might not have made that much of a difference. We need Sheed to actually produce something this series. I'm not sure he is even capable of that.

Perhaps this game serves as a lesson that the regular season does mean something and that more effort is needed back in the regular season to get a higher seed and a better playoff matchup if there even is such a thing.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 03:00:06 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Trust me, LeBron is human ... he just gets super-human treatment from the officials, and nobody, not even Paul Pierce, can beat those four-on-one odds. I'm really getting sick of the double-standard this guy represents ... the league should be ashamed. If we're going to beat the Cavs, we've got to get used to the eight-on-five game, and a way to overcome it. I don't understand how anyone can think that Pierce on LeBron is a one-on-one match-up ... if Pierce got the same kind of absurd consideration that the Queen gets, then we could assess realistically how well Paul can defend him.  :P
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 03:44:54 AM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown
Trust me, LeBron is human ... he just gets super-human treatment from the officials, and nobody, not even Paul Pierce, can beat those four-on-one odds. I'm really getting sick of the double-standard this guy represents ... the league should be ashamed. If we're going to beat the Cavs, we've got to get used to the eight-on-five game, and a way to overcome it. I don't understand how anyone can think that Pierce on LeBron is a one-on-one match-up ... if Pierce got the same kind of absurd consideration that the Queen gets, then we could assess realistically how well Paul can defend him.  :P

Fair enough.  My comments were less a referendum on the Captain and more a note that the team has to adjust their strategy to face the circumstances.  However LeBron is reffed, it isn't about to change.  That may play a part in that 35% Pierce shoots against him, but even if that's the case we unfortunately have to treat it as a given and adjust.  Pierce just can't be our main scoring option against the Cavs.  And that's okay, because we have other options and Pierce makes a heck of a decoy. 

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 03:55:29 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu

Fair enough.  My comments were less a referendum on the Captain and more a note that the team has to adjust their strategy to face the circumstances.  However LeBron is reffed, it isn't about to change.  That may play a part in that 35% Pierce shoots against him, but even if that's the case we unfortunately have to treat it as a given and adjust.  Pierce just can't be our main scoring option against the Cavs.  And that's okay, because we have other options and Pierce makes a heck of a decoy.  

Yup ... I hear ya, wether we like it or not, it's a reality we have to deal with. By the way, I meant to say that I think it's a great post ... unfortunately sometimes, I'm quick to reply to what I don't see exactly the same, but I guess that's the same for most ... the negative always gets more mileage. Great stuff, Buddy ... extremely well thought-out and detailed! (TP)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2010, 03:13:56 PM »

Offline drza44

• Jaylen Brown

Fair enough.  My comments were less a referendum on the Captain and more a note that the team has to adjust their strategy to face the circumstances.  However LeBron is reffed, it isn't about to change.  That may play a part in that 35% Pierce shoots against him, but even if that's the case we unfortunately have to treat it as a given and adjust.  Pierce just can't be our main scoring option against the Cavs.  And that's okay, because we have other options and Pierce makes a heck of a decoy.  

Yup ... I hear ya, wether we like it or not, it's a reality we have to deal with. By the way, I meant to say that I think it's a great post ... unfortunately sometimes, I'm quick to reply to what I don't see exactly the same, but I guess that's the same for most ... the negative always gets more mileage. Great stuff, Buddy ... extremely well thought-out and detailed! (TP)

Thanks for the TP and the compliment.  It's always touchy to be critical in any way of Pierce, but I think the key is not to speak against Pierce but instead a plea for our team to be flexible and utilize it's strengths...mainly it's versatility, to get the job done.  If there's one thing that I don't think this team has ever perfected, even when winning the title, it would be that.  When times get tight, we haven't learned how to maximize our strengths.

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2010, 03:17:50 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 691
  • MASTER OF PANIC
i think the way the celtics just let rondo get knocked around is unacceptable. mo williams even said in his presser that shaq told him he was going to foul rondo very hard. when we going to see boston match that? i saw mo williams waltz down the lane several times last night. boston needs to knock him into next week. i was disappointed there were no hard fouls given in return for rondo getting pin-balled all night

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2010, 04:38:34 PM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
TP for an extremely great post. I really like the idea of KG and Rondo applying steady pressure while we have Paul and Ray supply the back breaking baskets. Balance and consistency. If we mastered those we'd definitely win the series.

I think we're definitely better off letting Pierce focus on defense and not making him the primary option on offense. It's a lot to ask. We could think of reducing his minutes to keep him fresher and hope Marquis and TA can pick up the slack. In the last 3 games by Miami, it seemed he was involved with about 2 or 3 turnovers to start the 4th quarter. If we want him to be the go to guy down the stretch then we have to make sure he's not too gassed by the time it starts.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Great post (TP).  The only thing I'd add to the "bad" stuff was Sheed, who really shouldn't be playing those kinds of minutes when he's not producing.  You could just feel the energy shift the moment he took the floor and Doc took forever to take him out (partly due to foul trouble on the other bigs), at this point he should be used only in special matchup situations, and even then only when he's showing something on the court...

Positive to add: TA on Williams after his big scoring outburst was a successful adjustment in my eyes, and Daniels did an excellent job on James during his short stint, so we have good tools to defend against another attack from their 1-3 positions in the future...

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2010, 06:15:10 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
i think the way the celtics just let rondo get knocked around is unacceptable. mo williams even said in his presser that shaq told him he was going to foul rondo very hard. when we going to see boston match that? i saw mo williams waltz down the lane several times last night. boston needs to knock him into next week. i was disappointed there were no hard fouls given in return for rondo getting pin-balled all night

I agree.  If that's the only thing you send Rasheed out there to do, do it.  He should be able to do that, at least.  If he gets suspended then HALLELUJAH
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2010, 06:17:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3195

Well spoken.
TP

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2010, 06:43:38 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
we showed we are a good team, but the Cavs are better.  We needed game 1.  Have to win at least one in Cleveland.  I can't see us winning tomorrow and then winning both in boston.  3 in a row against the Cavs?  Not happening.  

I'm pulling for the boys, but I'm guessing Cavs in 4 or 5.   We had a spectacular night from Rondo and a vintage KG night and they still beat us

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2010, 07:24:08 PM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 691
  • MASTER OF PANIC
we showed we are a good team, but the Cavs are better.  We needed game 1.  Have to win at least one in Cleveland.  I can't see us winning tomorrow and then winning both in boston.  3 in a row against the Cavs?  Not happening.  

I'm pulling for the boys, but I'm guessing Cavs in 4 or 5.   We had a spectacular night from Rondo and a vintage KG night and they still beat us

i sadly agree with you 100 percent

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2010, 07:32:25 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

3 in a row?  probably not.  but i could see us winning games 2 and 3, losing game 4, then winning game 5.

the series isn't over yet; although the Celtics had some good performances and led for most of the game but still lost, they could have played better.  i still say Cavs in 6, but since game 1 was so close you can't judge the outcome of the series based on that one game.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
The good thing about a playoff series each game seems to have a life of its own.No one game defines how the series will be in the end.