Author Topic: Celtics (0-0) at Cavs (0-0) Game 1 5/1  (Read 115409 times)

Celtics (0-0) at Cavs (0-0) Game 1 5/1
« on: April 28, 2010, 08:54:54 PM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Kendrick Perkins #1 Fan
  • Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 11844
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
 at  
Boston Celtics (0-0, 4-1) at Cleveland Cavaliers (0-0, 4-1)
Saturday, May 1
Time 8:00 PM ET
Round 2,   Game 1
Game #6, Road Game #3
TV:  TNT  
Quicken Loans Arena  

Probable Starting Matchups
Point Guard
 vs  
Rajon Rondo   14.8 PPG, 6.2 RPG,  10.2 APG,  +22.6 **
Mo Williams   15.6 PPG,  2.6 RPG,   5.2 APG,  +13.8

Shooting Guard
 vs  
Ray Allen   19.4 PPG,  2.6 RPG, 3.4 APG,  .528 3P%,   +17.6
Anthony Parker   8.2 PPG,  2.2 RPG,  1.4 APG  .391 3P%,    +7.6

Small Forward  
 vs  
Paul Pierce    19.6 PPG,  5.6 RPG,  3.2 APG, +18.2
LeBron James  31.8 PPG,  9.8 RPG,  8.2 APG,  +38.6

Power Forward  
 vs  
Kevin Garnett    15.8 PPG, 8.8 RPG, 2.5 APG,  +21.5
Antawn Jamison   19.4 PPG, 7.4 RPG, 1.6 APG,  +20.4

Center
 vs  
Kendrick Perkins   5.8 PPG, 7.6 RPG,  1.2 APG, 2.2 BPG   +10.2
Shaquille O'Neal  9.2 PPG, 6.2 RPG, 1.8 APG, 1.4 BPG  +11.6
** Statistics are Playoff stats

Reserves
Rasheed Wallace
Glen Davis
Tony Allen
Nate Robinson
Shelden Williams
Brian Scalabrine
Michael Finley
Marquis Daniels
Tony Gaffney
Oliver Lafayette  

Injuries
None

Reserves
Daniel Gibson
Delonte West
Jamario Moon
Jawad Williams
Daniel Green
Leon Powe  
zydrunas Ilgauskas
Sebastian Telfair
Anderson Varejao
JJ Hickson  

Injuries
LeBron James (elbow) will play

Team Connections
Leon Powe and Delonte West are former Celtics
West was drafted by the Celtics with the 24th overall pick in the 2004
Draft
Powe played for the Celtics from 2006-09
Daniel Green, Jawad Williams, Antawn Jamison, and Rasheed Wallace are former North Carolina Tar Heels
Shaquille O’Neal and Glen Davis both attended Louisiana State
Antawn Jamison and Michael Finley were teammates in Dallas during the 2003-04 season.

Key Matchups
vs
Rajon Rondo 6'1", 171 lbs, 3rd year pro
Mo Williams  6'1",  190 lbs,  6 years pro
Mo Williams is capable of putting up big numbers and Rondo will need to keep his defensive focus to keep Mo in check. Rondo needs to especially stay with Mo on the perimeter.   He also needs to keep up his aggressiveness on offense if the Celtics have any chance of winning.  This may be one of the few matchups where the Celtics have an advantage and Rondo must  make the most of it.  

vs  
Paul Pierce  6'7", 235 lbs, 11 years pro
LeBron James  6'8", 250 lbs,  6 years pro
LeBron is always a tough matchup for every team.  In the past Pierce has looked forward to the challenge of defending him and has been up to the task.   We can only hope for a classic Pierce performance in this one on the defensive end to try to contain LeBron.   We all know that LeBron doesn't commit fouls so Pierce will be at a disadvantage but he can't let that distract him.   He has to keep his focus in spite of the hacking, shoving, elbow throwing,  and pushing that doesn't get called.  Now, he'll even get the sympathy calls because his elbow hurts.  In spite of all the talk about his elbow, I don't expect it to be a factor in this series.  

Honorable Mention
 vs  
Kevin Garnett  6'11", 253 lbs,  14 years pro  
Antawn Jamison  6'9",  235 lbs,  11 year pro
Jamison has been coming up big for the Cavs in the playoffs.    He is the Cavs second highest scorer and his ability to hit the outside shot opens the lane for LeBron's drives.   KG has a height advantage and should be able to get his shot off over Jamison.  He also must slow Jamison down on the offensive end.  

Players to Watch

If ever the Celtics needed Rasheed Wallace to step up, it will be in this series.  He has done a lot of talking about turning the switch and stepping up his effort in the playoffs and we have not yet seen it.  If Rasheed could back up that talk with a solid defensive effort along with some post play, it would be huge for the Celtics.  

Anderson Varejao  brings energy and hustle off the bench and in the regular season, he was the player who gave the Celtics the most problems (other than LeBron).  He is also very physical and more often than not will get the benefit of the calls.    The Celtics have to figure out how to slow him down.  

Game Notes
The Celtics now shift their attention from the Miami Wades to the Cleveland LeBrons.  Both Miami and Cleveland have dominant stars who virtually are able to win games by themselves.  The big difference between them, though, is that the Cavs have a much better supporting cast for LeBron and also a deeper bench than Miami had.  

For the first time, the Celtics will be starting a series out on the road since they do not have home court advantage in this series.  They proved that they were able to win on the road in the regular season, tying Cleveland for  the second best road record in the league.   The Cavs are tough to beat at home but the Celtics will need to figure out a way to get it done.  

Very few people outside of die hard Celtics fans give the Celtics a chance to win this.  Every ESPN analyst pics the Cavs to win in anywhere from 4 to 7 games.  Even Tim Legler, who was the only one to pick the Celtics against the Lakers in 2008 picks the Cavs in 7.   Dan Shaughnessy's  seems to be the only one, outside of die hard Celtics fans, who gives the Celtics any chance of beating the Cavs.  

One thing will be difficult for the Celtics will be the obvious slant toward the Cavs by the officials.   We have all watched LeBron James barrel through the land, sending bodies flying or grab a rebound and swing his elbows in both directions to clear space and very rarely get called for a foul for either.  The Celtics must keep their composure and not allow the officials to take them out of their game.  

Keys to the Game
  Defense Defense Defense  -Defense wins games and it wins championships.  When the Celtics focus on team defense and concentrate on getting stops they can be very tough to beat.   The Celtics won't win if they try to get into a run and gun shoot out with the Cavs.  They must get stops and put their focus on playing the type of defense that won the championship for them in 2008.  

Play 48 Minutes -  The Celtics have to be focused from the tip off until the end of the game.   They can't afford to come out flat or lose their focus for any period against a team like the Cavs or they will take full advantage of it.  

Rebound - The Celtics have to concentrate on crashing the boards.   LeBron is one of the best in the league at getting tip ins and put backs and the Celtics can't afford to give the Cavs second chance points.   Also, the Cavs are very good at running the break off of missed baskets and offensive rebounds will prevent this as well as to give themselves second chance points.  The Celtics have got to box out and win the battle of the board.  

Play Team Ball - The Celtics won't win if they try to do too much individually.  They must play team ball on both the offensive and defensive ends.   They have to move the ball and find the open man.  When the ball sticks too much, the Celtics struggle to score.  

X-Factors
Officials and Focus  
We know that the Cavs will get the majority of the calls and the Celtics need to focus on their game, especially on the defensive end and not let the bad calls and no calls ruin their focus.    They have to know that the bad calls are coming and just play through them.   The Bucks almost beat the Cavs in the regular season  in spite of a 45-9 free throw disparity and the Celtics certainly can beat the Cavs if they don't lose their focus.  They have to know that they won't get the calls and they can't let the refs be an excuse.  
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 07:38:27 PM by FLCeltsFan »

Re: Celtics (0-0) at Cavs (0-0) Game 1 5/1
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 08:55:27 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
bring on lefraud shames!

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 11:27:58 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2010, 11:45:53 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2010, 12:36:32 AM »

Offline jimmehx

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 166
Man... both these teams are SO deep.

If we can continue the standard of play from Round 1, we have more than a chance.

"Uhhh... Wife makes chicken..." - Brian Scalabrine 2007.

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2010, 12:39:44 AM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan
TP for FL.

This is it!

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2010, 01:43:49 AM »

Offline Q_FBE

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 243
This one is going to be a Battle Royale, possibly on a level that rivals the 1981 ECF Classic between Bird's Celtics and Dr J's Sixers. I expect this to be a low scoring series where neither team gives a nickel. The ESPN experts are discounting the Celtics chances due to a poorer than expected regular season record. I think we will see what the Celtics are capable of doing like they did opening night in Cleveland.

The problems for the Celtics are going to be from the 2nd unit of the Cavs. People like Delonte West, JJ Hickson, Jamario Moon can kill us. Heck, if Powe gets put in the game, he can beat us too.

The Celtics, I feel are desperate enough to prove the skeptics wrong and try to beat this Cavs team. An interesting point in my interview with the CSL staff last night was that the show host thought that there might by a reverse conspiracy against Lebron and that the Celtics might benefit from some calls so that Lebron will get frustrated and leave Cleveland for New York, Miami, or LA (How about Oklahoma so he can gang up with Durant?). Sorry, Justin, this is a reach. We ain't getting no breaks from the men in grey shirts and whistles. Maybe next round against Orlando.

The Celtics obviously need to keep their poise and Doc needs to think outside the box and prepare to surprise Cleveland.

Aside from the match up at the 3 spot, Boston has the advantage at the other 4 starting positions provided there is no foul trouble. The risk for exposure is off the bench. Can Sheed, Stubby, Finley, and TA step up? Will Marquis Daniels or Nate Robinson get a call to duty?

This is all about the energy, the passion, the emotion. Anything is possible here.
The beatings will continue until morale improves

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2010, 03:55:07 AM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
Can You Say PUMPED!!!!
We beat Cavs in 6 or 7 :)
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2010, 05:46:37 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 163
  • Green 18!
I feel pretty confident about the series right now. We'll see in which direction that will change after Game 2.

Let's go, C's!

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:54 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
I had this thought last night... LeBron has this mysterious elbow ailment that nobody can find anything wrong with.  Could he secretly be afraid of the Celtics and just getting his excuse for why they lose ready?  I can hear him now.  "We could have beaten them if it wasn't for this elbow injury. The rest of the team couldn't pick up the slack for my injury" 

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2010, 08:19:12 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115
My 30th birthday is this Saturday, May 1st, so I will actually be at the party I'm throwing.  In all honesty I hope the game is NOT on at the bar (I live in Tampa, not Boston) b/c I know I'd be watching that instead of talking with friends.  Not to mention that the refs will probably put me in a sour mood all night.  Actually, the mood thing is the biggest reason lol.  I'm sure people will be sending me updates though :)

Can't wait!

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2010, 09:26:05 AM »

Offline FLCeltsFan

• Author
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Marcus Smart Fan!
My 30th birthday is this Saturday, May 1st, so I will actually be at the party I'm throwing.  In all honesty I hope the game is NOT on at the bar (I live in Tampa, not Boston) b/c I know I'd be watching that instead of talking with friends.  Not to mention that the refs will probably put me in a sour mood all night.  Actually, the mood thing is the biggest reason lol.  I'm sure people will be sending me updates though :)

Can't wait!
TP for your birthday!  Let's hope #30 puts out a massive effort in honor of your 30th birthday.  Have fun at your party and hopefully the Celtics will give you a nice present in the form of a win.   

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2010, 09:49:56 AM »

Offline Spilling Green Dye

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 115

Can't wait!
TP for your birthday!  Let's hope #30 puts out a massive effort in honor of your 30th birthday.  Have fun at your party and hopefully the Celtics will give you a nice present in the form of a win.   

lol, I actually own a Celtics Rasheed jersey (bought it the day after they signed him), and while I've generally only worn it around the house due to Rasheed's play, I had planned to wear it down to the pool to show off my "30" lol.  But TP for the good idea that it might bring some luck to Rasheed.  I hope he plays well too.  Thanks for the bday wishes :)

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2010, 09:56:21 AM »

Offline Celtic

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
  • TRANSFORMATION INTO CHAMPION COMPLETE!!!

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2010, 09:56:38 AM »

Offline BuckeyeCelt

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 41
I am begging the Cs to win this series.  I have had people putting "Lebron 4 MVP" signs in my yard, Cavs magnets on my car, pictures of pierce being carried off the court on my desk...

Of course I responded by going on my evening walk with my 2 year old in a PP jersey, my 5 month old in a celtics onsie and shoes, my wife in a Celtics warm up, and me in my PP Jersey

If I have to endure a cavs win this will be painful for a long time...

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't make me go through this with a bunch of front running fans that don't have a clue what they are talking about!!!

Spare me the persecution!!