Author Topic: Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?  (Read 17958 times)

Re: Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?
« Reply #60 on: April 27, 2010, 05:54:06 PM »

Offline incoherent

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 278
  • 7 + 11 = 18
Yes.

A 2nd round PF will out produce Wallace for half the price..  do it.

« Reply #61 on: April 27, 2010, 06:14:15 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Yeah, I've beed advocating this for some time. I'm all for it. If they could do this and end up leaving the first round with a young PF(Larry Sanders, Jarvis Varnado, Ekpe, Udoh) and a young wing(Quincy Pondexter, Damioin James, Stanley Robinson, James Anderson, Willie Warren) and still grab a 4 year college level star in the second round like a Luke Harangody, Dexter Pittman, Da'Sean Butler or Gervais Vasquez that would be a perfect storm of a draft in my book. Three young talents to develop at low costs for the next 4 years.

I agree with Nick fully. The players I'd love to see in particular from that list of names is Ekpe Udoh and Willie Warren. If not Warren with the bought pick, then Vasquez (even though he has mostly been predicted in the second round, I think his stock will rise after workouts, and am honestly surpised he's not projected higher right now).

I'd love Dexter Pittman in round 2.

« Reply #62 on: April 27, 2010, 06:24:55 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I've beed advocating this for some time. I'm all for it. If they could do this and end up leaving the first round with a young PF(Larry Sanders, Jarvis Varnado, Ekpe, Udoh) and a young wing(Quincy Pondexter, Damioin James, Stanley Robinson, James Anderson, Willie Warren) and still grab a 4 year college level star in the second round like a Luke Harangody, Dexter Pittman, Da'Sean Butler or Gervais Vasquez that would be a perfect storm of a draft in my book. Three young talents to develop at low costs for the next 4 years.

I agree with Nick fully. The players I'd love to see in particular from that list of names is Ekpe Udoh and Willie Warren. If not Warren with the bought pick, then Vasquez (even though he has mostly been predicted in the second round, I think his stock will rise after workouts, and am honestly surpised he's not projected higher right now).

I'd love Dexter Pittman in round 2.
Little inside info on Vasquez, real inside info, he's an idiot(like not very bright) and a head case.

« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2010, 12:48:16 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I would agree with buying another pick, but not trading the #19 pick to get an extra first rounder (eg to MEM for #25 and #28).

The teams picking behind us (POR, OKC, SAS) all have smart GMs so I think we need to take advantage of the fact that we beat them out in tie breaker and stay picking in front of them.

that said, yes, I would be in favor of picking up another pick in this draft because there are interesting prospects.

With #19, I would be interested in picking up whoever DA thinks is the best wing player or athletic defender and with the extra pick I would like Danny to roll the dice on a scorer like Willie Warren or a big like Solomon Alabi.

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2010, 07:51:09 AM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
At 19 the best player available is most likely going to be a big. The only wing player I would consider drafting would be James Anderson. After him there is a significant drop off. If we could get an additional 2 pick, I would try to get John Randle and Dexter Pittman. That secures our bench for the future.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2010, 08:05:28 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
I would buy the pick.

Then use the two picks as carrots to try an move up or sign and trade.

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2010, 08:15:32 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Hawks pick not for sale?
8:03AM ET
Atlanta Hawks
Top Email

There was a report recently that the Hawks were willing to trade their first round pick in the 2010 draft and that money ($3 million) would be used to help sign free agent Joe Johnson. Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. says that's not true.

"We haven't had that discussion with anyone," Gearon told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2010, 08:42:09 AM »

Offline Eeyore III

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 48
Just for the record, as I posted in another thread yesterday:

Memphis has picks #12, #25 and #28.

The T-Wolves have #2 (pending lotto), #16 and #23.

The Thunder have #21, #26 and #32.

Memphis and the T-Wolves need money.  None of the three teams need three more rookies on next year's roster. (Also, if anyone trades up, it's likely to be one of these three teams; the Cs just don't have the juice to compete.)

I won't try to out-talent-assess DA, but if a guy he likes is left after we use #19, I would expect Wyc to open the old wallet and, as with Rondo, buy a specific pick mid-draft to get that player.

I don't pretend to be a college-talent assessor, but I'll throw the name Kenneth Faried out there as someone who, with a later pick, might be a guy who can run with Rondo, after the lockout-season rebuild.    
"People don't understand, if you can't live the rest of your life off one year in the NBA, you can't live off 21." -- Keon Clark

« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2010, 10:50:04 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

It depends on what they would otherwise do with the money. If it impacts player acquisitions then I'd be hesitant to do it. I think they can still compete next year and that takes precedence over building for the future.

« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2010, 11:03:30 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/features/rumors

Hawks pick not for sale?
8:03AM ET
Atlanta Hawks
Top Email

There was a report recently that the Hawks were willing to trade their first round pick in the 2010 draft and that money ($3 million) would be used to help sign free agent Joe Johnson. Hawks co-owner Michael Gearon Jr. says that's not true.

"We haven't had that discussion with anyone," Gearon told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Shocking!!!  (note the sarcasm).

No one sells their picks this early.  I think they need to decide what they are going to be doing with Joe Johnson (and that might depend at least a little, on whether they lose the Milwaukee), before they decide to sell off picks.  I wouldn't be surprised if Atlanta ends up trying to get picks, instead, if they decide to let Joe walk.

« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2010, 11:22:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
No because that'll mean wasting money we dont have for a second player that Doc won't bother putting into the rotation, then we will trade him for a player with a rose contract anyway.

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2010, 11:51:46 AM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
I never, ever, ever, think buying another first rounder is a bad idea. Never.

Right. All it's about is whether you're ok with Wyc making a $3 million investment. Does anyone here have a problem with Wyc spending $3mil to make the team better?
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #72 on: May 02, 2010, 10:06:06 AM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
Agree with everyone.....a good year to buy a pick/s...

My dream draft (gave up on getting Evan Turner) is to get BOTH Damion James and James Anderson....and in the second round Dexter Pittman.....

However, they might get neither of those wings.  But, in the draft, that wouldn't mean we are cooked...considering  Paul George and Larry Sanders too....

Anyway, getting an extra first-rounder or even early second rounder would give us the chance to do the following......take a gamble on Gordon Hayword.  I say gamble because it's a big gamble to take a not-so-quick player......but with the bought pick we could take an athletic wing as well, some wing that falls, or Pondexter, Ebanks, etc....

So:  D. James and James A. if you please:   backup plan:  Hayward and Ebanks

Starting:  Rondo, TA, James A., Damion James and KG (picking up on the plan of others....)
Bench:     ..........Ray, Paul, etc....

« Reply #73 on: May 02, 2010, 06:01:31 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
Just for the record, as I posted in another thread yesterday:

Memphis has picks #12, #25 and #28.

The T-Wolves have #2 (pending lotto), #16 and #23.

The Thunder have #21, #26 and #32.

Memphis and the T-Wolves need money.  None of the three teams need three more rookies on next year's roster. (Also, if anyone trades up, it's likely to be one of these three teams; the Cs just don't have the juice to compete.)

I won't try to out-talent-assess DA, but if a guy he likes is left after we use #19, I would expect Wyc to open the old wallet and, as with Rondo, buy a specific pick mid-draft to get that player.

I don't pretend to be a college-talent assessor, but I'll throw the name Kenneth Faried out there as someone who, with a later pick, might be a guy who can run with Rondo, after the lockout-season rebuild.    

Another Faried fan!  I've only seen him in action twice during the OVC tournament, but I really liked what I saw.  Extremely fast in transition, Varejao-esque on the glass, very athletic and active on defense.  

And while his #s might be inflated because of his crappy conference, James Singleton and Lester Hudson put up inferior #s in the same conference and they've settled into the NBA fringe.  

Agree with everyone.....a good year to buy a pick/s...

My dream draft (gave up on getting Evan Turner) is to get BOTH Damion James and James Anderson....and in the second round Dexter Pittman.....

However, they might get neither of those wings.  But, in the draft, that wouldn't mean we are cooked...considering  Paul George and Larry Sanders too....

Anyway, getting an extra first-rounder or even early second rounder would give us the chance to do the following......take a gamble on Gordon Hayword.  I say gamble because it's a big gamble to take a not-so-quick player......but with the bought pick we could take an athletic wing as well, some wing that falls, or Pondexter, Ebanks, etc....

So:  D. James and James A. if you please:   backup plan:  Hayward and Ebanks

Starting:  Rondo, TA, James A., Damion James and KG (picking up on the plan of others....)
Bench:     ..........Ray, Paul, etc....

James Anderson has a lot of bust potential, IMHO.  Ball-dominant college scorer without much athleticism and minimal contributions elsewhere (average rebounder, mediocre passer, poor defender).

Damion James should fit right into the pros.  Good defensive potential (but very undisciplined), very good rebounder, solid shooter, good athlete, improving ball-handler moves well without the ball, shoots off screens and spotting up, can attack a mismatch off the dribble.  

I think Paul George will develop into a decent bench player.  I just don't think he has quite enough skill to create his own shot at the NBA level.  Rasual Butler/Dorell Wright.

Hayward has too much bust potential to me.  Can he rebound in the NBA?  Can he defend 3s or 4s? Is he that good of a shooter?

Ebanks cannot shoot and he's too small to be a 4.  I don't think he'd see any minutes on this team.

2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri