Author Topic: Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?  (Read 17961 times)

Re: Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2010, 02:49:27 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'd buy the pick, but there has to be commitment from the organization(including the coaches) that they will develop these players. Makes no sense to pick players and then let them rot on the bench. Nevertheless, this is a deep draft, so Danny could hypothetically get three serviceable players in this draft if they buy the Atlanta pick.

Whomever we get however should be integrated into the rotation at least through the regular season. You don't have to sacrifice wins to get some minutes from one player or maybe two during the season.

If the players are good enough to crack the rotation on a contender, then they should play. This year's draft appears to be full of good potential.

Guys like Giddens and Walker just weren't good enough to out play Tony Allen, Daniels and Eddie House. I expect and hope that the next guy drafted is better than those two. And he should be at #19.

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2010, 02:53:30 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
As a fan of course we would say they should buy a first rounder.

It's not our money that is being used to buy the pick from another team, then pay the pick, then pay the luxury tax that is associated with the pick. Let's say that they have interest in doing this but only if they could increase ticket prices an extra 5-10% (on top of the normal yearly increase), does that change the answer to this question?
I don't think so.

Look at it this way Evantime, $3 million for the pick at 24, another $7 million for 4 years in salary and at least another $3 million in luxury taxes for two years. That's $13 million to $17 million(depending on if they are paying luxury taxes the last two years) for a guy that could be anywhere from a bust to a superstar.

Is there any way whatsoever you are going to sign a free agent for 4 years and between $13-17 million total outlay that has ANY chance whatsoever of becoming a superstar? Or even a solid sixth man?

As others have pointed out though, the alternative is filling roster spots with veterans, who will probably cost more unless they're at vet minimum, and have no chance at all of becoming much better than they are now.

If we are looking to get younger moving forward, we'll need to start developing guys now.  If our choices are filling a roster spot by buying a first and getting another young guy or picking up another stopgap journeyman, I say go with the pick.  This draft seems to have a pretty deep middle, and we know talent will be there.

Of course we could circumvent a lot of this by just buying an early 2nd rd pick instead.
Exactly. TP.

Ahahaha - I read too fast and thought I was disagreeing with you when I was pretty much just repeating what you said.  Well, TP for having the same perspective then  :)

« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2010, 02:53:45 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I'd buy the pick, but there has to be commitment from the organization(including the coaches) that they will develop these players. Makes no sense to pick players and then let them rot on the bench. Nevertheless, this is a deep draft, so Danny could hypothetically get three serviceable players in this draft if they buy the Atlanta pick.

Whomever we get however should be integrated into the rotation at least through the regular season. You don't have to sacrifice wins to get some minutes from one player or maybe two during the season.

If the players are good enough to crack the rotation on a contender, then they should play. This year's draft appears to be full of good potential.

Guys like Giddens and Walker just weren't good enough to out play Tony Allen, Daniels and Eddie House. I expect and hope that the next guy drafted is better than those two. And he should be at #19.

I think force-feeding a rookie minutes is sometimes okay.  Take San Antonio.  If Doc had been coaching, is there any doubt that George Hill (last season) and DeJuan Blair (this season) would have begun the season with a strong presumption against them getting minutes? 

I think in situations where Doc has viable alternatives, he's going to be hesitant to play rookies right out of the gate.  While I understand that philosophy, it's also sometimes good to force-feed young guys minutes, so they'll be ready for later in the season.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #33 on: April 27, 2010, 03:07:39 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
If Rivers is the coach, NO!!!!! If he steps down, then yes!!!!!!
I was going to reply "Is there anyone that would ever seriously say "No"?  but you just answered that for me.  I'm stunned.

To me, it's a no brainer.  buy as many as there are available.  get 1, 2 even 3 1st rounders if available.  they make excellent trade chips for future picks or combining to move up in the draft for better players.  Or, throwing this one out there for consideration, using it (or the C's pick instead and keeping the purchased one) to package with Sheed to get him out of town.  Too many reasons to buy one and no good ones not to -- Doc not withstanding.

How did that work out with Walker and Giddens? Oh, we got Nate Robinson and the Knicks got a player in Walker that they say is likely part of their future.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2010, 03:20:27 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Im calling it now that whoever the Celtics draft this year will become a hall of famer. So yeah, if they want to add one more HOF'er to their roster I dont see it as a bad thing.

« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2010, 03:23:25 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
If Rivers is the coach, NO!!!!! If he steps down, then yes!!!!!!
I was going to reply "Is there anyone that would ever seriously say "No"?  but you just answered that for me.  I'm stunned.

To me, it's a no brainer.  buy as many as there are available.  get 1, 2 even 3 1st rounders if available.  they make excellent trade chips for future picks or combining to move up in the draft for better players.  Or, throwing this one out there for consideration, using it (or the C's pick instead and keeping the purchased one) to package with Sheed to get him out of town.  Too many reasons to buy one and no good ones not to -- Doc not withstanding.

How did that work out with Walker and Giddens? Oh, we got Nate Robinson and the Knicks got a player in Walker that they say is likely part of their future.
Not sure how much sarcasm is there but it depends on your point of view.  those 2 picks were used to bring in an upgrade to the bench.  the flipside is that with a different head coach, one of those two, or maybe both, could have been developed better and become contributors here.

depends on how much you value giddens and walker and Doc's handling of young players. 

Personally, I think Doc doesn't do much for younger players but that's a debate for another host of forums.  Having Doc here shouldn't stop danny from getting more picks regardless of what anyone thinks of Doc's treatment of young players.  I agree with what someone else posted that new players coming in are for Doc's replacement which will probably occur by the end of the current big-3 era.

« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2010, 03:32:03 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247

I think force-feeding a rookie minutes is sometimes okay.  Take San Antonio.  If Doc had been coaching, is there any doubt that George Hill (last season) and DeJuan Blair (this season) would have begun the season with a strong presumption against them getting minutes? 

I think in situations where Doc has viable alternatives, he's going to be hesitant to play rookies right out of the gate.  While I understand that philosophy, it's also sometimes good to force-feed young guys minutes, so they'll be ready for later in the season.

I agree completely with you.

Some force feeding is necessary and Doc should be more open to it. However automatically giving the young guys minutes no matter what (as many have voiced) isn't a good idea, especially if a guy like Tony Allen has clearly been busting his butt this season. It sends the wrong message to both sides.

But again, the young guys do need more minutes to prove what they have... just not much more minutes.

« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2010, 03:36:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I agree completely with you.

Some force feeding is necessary and Doc should be more open to it. However automatically giving the young guys minutes no matter what (as many have voiced) isn't a good idea, especially if a guy like Tony Allen has clearly been busting his butt this season. It sends the wrong message to both sides.

But again, the young guys do need more minutes to prove what they have... just not much more minutes.

Well, who are we talking about here?

I think what we have seen from what he has done in NY, and what he did in short minutes in Boston, it is pretty clear that Giddens was not ready to play NBA minutes (and probably will never be). 

But if we are talking about Bill Walker, it is a different story.  He got a chance last year, and was in line to get a good deal of minutes this year, but then he got injured.  You can't blame Doc for that.

Doc does give young guys chances to prove themselves.  The question is whether they do anything with them. 

« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2010, 03:41:18 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

I don't think that is a fair assumption at all.  I think there is plenty of evidence (see Glen Davis) that Doc would play a big man like Blair as a rookie, if he showed he knew the system, and would not be a major kink. 

And it is really tough to say what Doc would have done with Hill, since he has not had a smart young PG of Hills talent level.  The only one who was close was Rondo, and he was rail thin when he came in, and not nearly as well rounded as Hill was as a rookie.

« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2010, 03:45:51 PM »

Offline acieEarl

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 47
Yea def a first and a second could be had for cheap.

I just think back to last year when they easily could have bought a second round pick and got Dejuan Blair or Chase Budinger(I think the Rockets bought this pick).

Blair is already much better than Sheed.

« Reply #40 on: April 27, 2010, 03:47:34 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I donīt care, as long as DA goes for the Homerun Pick.

This is the year to draft based on potential and not by need, imho.

To be honest, I would rather see us trade up than just buy another low first.

Too many young guys create as many problems for a team as too many old legs, probably even more.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.

« Reply #41 on: April 27, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

I don't think that is a fair assumption at all.  I think there is plenty of evidence (see Glen Davis) that Doc would play a big man like Blair as a rookie, if he showed he knew the system, and would not be a major kink. 

And it is really tough to say what Doc would have done with Hill, since he has not had a smart young PG of Hills talent level.  The only one who was close was Rondo, and he was rail thin when he came in, and not nearly as well rounded as Hill was as a rookie.

When Doc has veteran alternatives, I think rookies are going to see their minutes limited.  Yes, BBD got some minutes as a rookie, but who was the viable alternative at backup center / backup power forward?  It's not like Doc had a veteran he could slot in, especially with Pollard injured.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #42 on: April 27, 2010, 03:56:36 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson

When Doc has veteran alternatives, I think rookies are going to see their minutes limited.  Yes, BBD got some minutes as a rookie, but who was the viable alternative at backup center / backup power forward?  It's not like Doc had a veteran he could slot in, especially with Pollard injured.

True.  But is that all that different from just about any NBA coach of a winning team (as in a team that is not just trying to tank and develop young guys)?

Its not like the Spurs had a ton more options than Blair and Hill.

« Reply #43 on: April 27, 2010, 03:57:18 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

But if we are talking about Bill Walker, it is a different story.  He got a chance last year, and was in line to get a good deal of minutes this year, but then he got injured.  You can't blame Doc for that.

Doc does give young guys chances to prove themselves.  The question is whether they do anything with them. 

I wouldn't say that a total of 216 minutes over 29 games is a real chance for Walker to have proved himself last year.  Danny Ainge and Paul Pierce were both calling for Walker to get more minutes last year, and Doc continually paid lip service to the idea, but it didn't happen.

Why?  Because Doc would rather play the players who can immediately win games for him, rather than the guys who might be able to win games for him in the future.  It's an understandable philosophy, certainly.  It's also one that Doc certainly subscribes to.  Solid veterans are going to get minutes -- and in some cases, more minutes than they should be playing -- over rookies with higher upsides.  That's especially the case with a contending team.

« Reply #44 on: April 27, 2010, 03:58:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

True.  But is that all that different from just about any NBA coach of a winning team (as in a team that is not just trying to tank and develop young guys)?

Its not like the Spurs had a ton more options than Blair and Hill.

The Spurs could have easily given Blair's and Hill's minutes to McDyess and Mason, Jr.  I'm fairly certain, having watched Doc, that that's the route he would have gone.