Author Topic: Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?  (Read 17877 times)

Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?
« on: April 27, 2010, 10:51:37 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
There are rumors that Atlanta is willing to sell the #24 pick for $3 million.  In past years, other teams have been similarly willing to sell picks from around the 20th pick onward.

Should the Celts attempt to get into this market?  I say yes.  This team is an aging one, and they need an infusion of young, athletic talent.  I don't have a particular player in mind, but this is supposed to be a fairly deep draft, and last year guys like Darren Collison (21), Omri Casspi (23), Rodrigue Beaubois (25), and Taj Gibson (26) were all picked in about the range that we'd be buying into.

Certainly, there's risk involved; the team could easily end up wasting $3 million, and be forced into giving a rookie deal to a player who doesn't play (i.e., J.R. Giddens).  However, based upon where the Celtics are in terms of their window, I think it's worth a shot to potentially find a rotation player, while building for the future.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

Re: Should the Celts attempt to buy another first rounder?
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 10:53:25 AM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
without a doubt - they'll need cheap, young labor next year and it would help if they had some upside
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 10:57:52 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
For $3 million?  Why not?  Go for it.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 11:18:50 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I say yes. collison makes around 1.25 mil this year. so lets say 3 mill for thepick, then 1.25,1.5,1.75,2 mill. that's 9.5 mill over 4 years without having to touch the mle. isn't it a better deal to do that and take a flyer on a willie warren, quincy ponde ter, stanley robinson type than overpay for an mle free agent?

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 11:19:18 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Yeah, I've beed advocating this for some time. I'm all for it. If they could do this and end up leaving the first round with a young PF(Larry Sanders, Jarvis Varnado, Ekpe, Udoh) and a young wing(Quincy Pondexter, Damioin James, Stanley Robinson, James Anderson, Willie Warren) and still grab a 4 year college level star in the second round like a Luke Harangody, Dexter Pittman, Da'Sean Butler or Gervais Vasquez that would be a perfect storm of a draft in my book. Three young talents to develop at low costs for the next 4 years.

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 11:36:21 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Gotta start rebuilding.  You can even pick up a guy that's a little more of a project, since we're really looking at 2012 as being when the full-bore rebuilding project begins.  Right now, we basically have zero "developmental"-type players on the roster, and precious few young guys in general.

Here's a related question.  If you buy that pick from Atlanta, would you consider packaging it and #19 to move up into the late lottery?  #24 and #19 would likely be able to get you a pick in the #10 - #13 range, right?  Be more apt to get an impact player, albeit at a higher salary and with the extra $3M cost of buying Atlanta's pick.

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 11:37:56 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I never, ever, ever, think buying another first rounder is a bad idea. Never.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 11:42:21 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's a related question.  If you buy that pick from Atlanta, would you consider packaging it and #19 to move up into the late lottery?  #24 and #19 would likely be able to get you a pick in the #10 - #13 range, right?  Be more apt to get an impact player, albeit at a higher salary and with the extra $3M cost of buying Atlanta's pick.

It probably depends upon what the rest of the board looks like.  I personally think that there's not a ton of separation in this draft in terms of the late lottery vs. early 20s, so I'd probably prefer two bites at the apple.  However, Danny is certainly a better talent evaluator than I am, so if there's a guy he really likes, he should attempt to move up.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 11:46:22 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Only if you don't have the roster space for him.

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 11:51:13 AM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
There are rumors that Atlanta is willing to sell the #24 pick for $3 million.  In past years, other teams have been similarly willing to sell picks from around the 20th pick onward.

Should the Celts attempt to get into this market?  I say yes.  This team is an aging one, and they need an infusion of young, athletic talent.  I don't have a particular player in mind, but this is supposed to be a fairly deep draft, and last year guys like Darren Collison (21), Omri Casspi (23), Rodrigue Beaubois (25), and Taj Gibson (26) were all picked in about the range that we'd be buying into.

Certainly, there's risk involved; the team could easily end up wasting $3 million, and be forced into giving a rookie deal to a player who doesn't play (i.e., J.R. Giddens).  However, based upon where the Celtics are in terms of their window, I think it's worth a shot to potentially find a rotation player, while building for the future.

Yes, definitely buy a 1st rounder in the 20's and I'll go so far as to say: if that means the C's need to be stingy about the 3 million in free agency, so be it.

No matter how this playoff run ends, the C's need to get more young energetic legs on this team.

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 11:52:18 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Only if you don't have the roster space for him.

Ha...even then..it's not my money. :)

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 11:56:46 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
1st round picks are a two-year salary committment; two guaranteed years, two team-option years.

MLE players that are worth a [dang] are going to demand three-year contracts. 

Given the summer-of-2012 target, seems to me that it makes a lot more sense to spend the money on draft picks than on free agents.  Pick some guys and give them two years to prove they're worth being part of the rebuilding process.  Worst-case, they'll be cheap roster filler for 2012 - 2013.

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 12:02:57 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
If the C's leave draft day with Terrico White, Daniel Orton and Lazar Hayward I would be so happy I'd plotz.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 12:11:07 PM »

Offline rickyfan3.0...

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 110
Could they buy that pick, and package it with their own pick to get around 10?

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 12:11:16 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
It's a no brainer if you ask me.  The Celtics need youth.

I'd like to see the Celtics more actively search the D-league for potential young impact guys next season, too.  The Warriors aren't exactly exemplary in pretty much any category, but they seem to have a talent for finding undrafted guys who can produce (Kelenna Azubuike, Reggie Williams, Anthony Tolliver, CJ Watson).
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers