Author Topic: 2010 FIFA World Cup  (Read 179252 times)

Re: 2010 FIFA World Cup
« Reply #60 on: May 22, 2010, 01:31:45 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 1488
  • Open your eyes
Some of them spent most of last season injured (Hargreaves , Totti) so it`s not such a big surprise. Others like  Benzema ,Ronaldinho , Diego,Van Nistelrooy had a bad season and there are a couple of players i`ve never managed to understand why there a considered good (kuranyi)

But there indeed some bg surprises in the list. Marcelo , Cambiasso, Nasri and to a lesser extend Pato
It's all a matter of alternative. Benzema had a bad season? Yes, at Real Madrid. But Domenech took players that are far worst than him like Gignac who scored 4 golas this season for Toulouse in the french league, and Jimmy Briand 4 goals for Rennes.

Why Ronaldinho had a bad season? This was his best season since the last world cup. 10 goals and 15 assists (1st in Serie A) in 35 games for Milan. Pato is a better striker than any af the players that Dunga took. Also, Alex played great for Chelsea this season and was forgotten.

Van Nistelrooy played good since moving to Hamburg and player like him, who gave so much to the NT, deserved to be in his last WC. Surely, when lesser players like Eljero Elia and Jeremain Lens are there instead of him.

I Agree about Hargreaves but Totti came back few weeks ago and looked fine, even scored in a few games (Same as van Persie who was invited). If the coach rates you then they are willing to wait even if you are coming out of injury like Cesk, Torres and Gareth Barry.

Well, Kuranyi did scored 18 league goals in 28 games and was lethal for Shalke this season. While Padolsi scored 2!! goals this season, didn't have a good year since 2006 and was still called up.

Cambiasso, Zanetti and Nasri staying home is plain stupid.

TP - A ton of wasted talent this year that I just plain do not understand.

About Dunga, I like what he is doing.  Brazil has had a lot of great individual talent, but we are going for the championship.  He is a no nonsense coach who wants a team who will play hard together.  In the past we have had great guys on paper, but then we dont play well as a team when they take a me-first approach.  It takes a lot of guts to do what he is doing, but I am hoping it will pay off.

By the way, I am Brazilian :)
So, please explain why no Pato? He's young, fantastic striker, team player, no bad attitude.

In the past you also had team full of big stars that also won it all (1994, 2002). Those teams had big personality, very experience coaches that knew how to deal with big egos and turn them to one unit.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this Brasil team has what it takes to win the cup.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 01:41:00 PM by misha »
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

Coach:Rinus Michels

« Reply #61 on: May 22, 2010, 01:34:25 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Neither do I

But fans hope.
 ;D

Go Brazil

and theres no way El Diego makes Argentina Champs

other than Spain , argentina and maybe Brazil i dont wee the talented unity needed to be
champ in any team.
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #62 on: May 23, 2010, 08:25:37 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
19 days to go. Here's something to get you warmed up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta_la6vIaFc&feature=player_embedded
The Immortals:

Iker Casillas, Giacinto Facchetti, Alessandro Nesta, Matthias Sammer, Javier Zanetti, Lothar Matthäus (c), Xavi, Zico, Maradona, Roberto Baggio, Ferenc Puskas, Karl Heinz Rummenigge

« Reply #63 on: May 31, 2010, 01:30:51 AM »

Offline rjsuperfly66

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 1
Germany is in trouble, they losing too many people to injury to be serious contenders.  I do believe they could be a 2nd or 3rd round matchup for the US if either team was to make it that far.

« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2010, 02:25:10 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Germany is in trouble, they losing too many people to injury to be serious contenders.  I do believe they could be a 2nd or 3rd round matchup for the US if either team was to make it that far.
Germany is always dangerous even if on paper they are not as strong. They traditionally do very well in the world cups (7 finals). For example, in 2002 they surprised many when made it to the finals.
The Immortals:

« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2010, 02:40:21 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Germany is always dangerous even if on paper they are not as strong. They traditionally do very well in the world cups (7 finals). For example, in 2002 they surprised many when made it to the finals.

Yeah ... they've been hurt by injuries, but I wouldn't take them for granted by any means ... they've still got enough talent and heart to surprise a lot of teams ... and I think they will.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #66 on: June 03, 2010, 02:47:35 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
Mesut Ozil, remember the name.

« Reply #67 on: June 03, 2010, 03:09:54 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Some of them spent most of last season injured (Hargreaves , Totti) so it`s not such a big surprise. Others like  Benzema ,Ronaldinho , Diego,Van Nistelrooy had a bad season and there are a couple of players i`ve never managed to understand why there a considered good (kuranyi)

But there indeed some bg surprises in the list. Marcelo , Cambiasso, Nasri and to a lesser extend Pato
It's all a matter of alternative. Benzema had a bad season? Yes, at Real Madrid. But Domenech took players that are far worst than him like Gignac who scored 4 golas this season for Toulouse in the french league, and Jimmy Briand 4 goals for Rennes.

Why Ronaldinho had a bad season? This was his best season since the last world cup. 10 goals and 15 assists (1st in Serie A) in 35 games for Milan. Pato is a better striker than any af the players that Dunga took. Also, Alex played great for Chelsea this season and was forgotten.

Van Nistelrooy played good since moving to Hamburg and player like him, who gave so much to the NT, deserved to be in his last WC. Surely, when lesser players like Eljero Elia and Jeremain Lens are there instead of him.

I Agree about Hargreaves but Totti came back few weeks ago and looked fine, even scored in a few games (Same as van Persie who was invited). If the coach rates you then they are willing to wait even if you are coming out of injury like Cesk, Torres and Gareth Barry.

Well, Kuranyi did scored 18 league goals in 28 games and was lethal for Shalke this season. While Padolsi scored 2!! goals this season, didn't have a good year since 2006 and was still called up.

About Dunga, I like what he is doing.  Brazil has had a lot of great individual talent, but we are going for the championship.  He is a no nonsense coach who wants a team who will play hard together.  In the past we have had great guys on paper, but then we dont play well as a team when they take a me-first approach.  It takes a lot of guts to do what he is doing, but I am hoping it will pay off.

So, please explain why no Pato? He's young, fantastic striker, team player, no bad attitude.

In the past you also had team full of big stars that also won it all (1994, 2002). Those teams had big personality, very experience coaches that knew how to deal with big egos and turn them to one unit.

I'm sorry, but I really don't think this Brasil team has what it takes to win the cup.

The '94 team wasn't full of stars.  They had some very good players, but they played well together as a team because of their captain, Dunga.  The team itself came with all the fame that Brazil always come with, but Romario wasn't known as a great scorer yet, Bebeto was a workhorse player, Ronaldinho was a young star that barely played and Leandrinho was known as a great defender.  However, they didn't have all that flash.  The 2002 team wasn't as great as people thought.  They had some very clear holes that they were able to patch up during the postseason.  The thing that saved them was that the guys wanted to win.  In the last world cup we've had guys that haven't done nothing.  They just went on with their name, but they really didn't influence the game like they should.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #68 on: June 03, 2010, 03:14:46 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
In Brazil, the way as a kid to get pumped up was by collecting album stickers with all the players.  Basically, you get an album with all the team page with all the players and a bunch of extra information (group, schedule, stadiumms...) and you buy little packet of stickers with all the players and country logo and so on.  You fill in the album and try to get as much done as possible, and the extra ones you play games and try to get the missing ones from other kids in the neighborghood.  Does anybody know what I am talking about?

Anyway, does anybody have some good pump up videos?  Here is something I found.  I believe it has the official World Cup 2010 song and all the teams involved.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9bOIqF7Jag&feature=related
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #69 on: June 03, 2010, 05:02:58 PM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Some of them spent most of last season injured (Hargreaves , Totti) so it`s not such a big surprise. Others like  Benzema ,Ronaldinho , Diego,Van Nistelrooy had a bad season and there are a couple of players i`ve never managed to understand why there a considered good (kuranyi)

About Dunga, I like what he is doing.  Brazil has had a lot of great individual talent, but we are going for the championship.  He is a no nonsense coach who wants a team who will play hard together.  In the past we have had great guys on paper, but then we dont play well as a team when they take a me-first approach.  It takes a lot of guts to do what he is doing, but I am hoping it will pay off.

The '94 team wasn't full of stars.  They had some very good players, but they played well together as a team because of their captain, Dunga.  The team itself came with all the fame that Brazil always come with, but Romario wasn't known as a great scorer yet, Bebeto was a workhorse player, Ronaldinho was a young star that barely played and Leandrinho was known as a great defender.  However, they didn't have all that flash.  The 2002 team wasn't as great as people thought.  They had some very clear holes that they were able to patch up during the postseason.  The thing that saved them was that the guys wanted to win.  In the last world cup we've had guys that haven't done nothing.  They just went on with their name, but they really didn't influence the game like they should.
Romario and Bebeto were at their pick in 1994. Romario was one of the best players in the world while at Barca and Bebeto was great for Deportivo. You confused Ronaldo with Ronaldinho. Ronaldo was a 17 years old kid during 94 that was taken as a sub. That team had good balance of good defensive and offensive players that I don't see in this team.

I don't like the current Brazil aquad as much as your past teams. First of all, Fabiano and Robinho are nowhere near the talent level of Romario and Bebeto. Who's the Dunga of this squad? Gilberto Silva is too old, Felipe Melo had an awful season and Ramires is decent but not world calss. The strong side are keeper, defense and Kaka whose fitness level will be crucial.
The Immortals:

« Reply #70 on: June 04, 2010, 03:06:05 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
In Brazil, the way as a kid to get pumped up was by collecting album stickers with all the players.  Basically, you get an album with all the team page with all the players and a bunch of extra information (group, schedule, stadiumms...) and you buy little packet of stickers with all the players and country logo and so on.  You fill in the album and try to get as much done as possible, and the extra ones you play games and try to get the missing ones from other kids in the neighborghood.  Does anybody know what I am talking about?

I DO !!!!!!!!!

great memories.

funny thing .. since monday a sports newspaper in greece that offers each day for free a completed world cup album. yesterday i got the 82 album...

« Reply #71 on: June 04, 2010, 04:56:15 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Altidore sprained his ankle again?!? Great timing.  :P
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #72 on: June 04, 2010, 10:53:55 AM »

Offline misha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Open your eyes
Huge blow for Ivory Coast and good news for Brazil and especially Portugal - Drogba will miss the WC following an injury in the friednly game against Japan.

Rio Ferdinand injured his leg in trainig and possibly out as well (we'll know later today).
The Immortals:

« Reply #73 on: June 05, 2010, 07:51:44 AM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
You could have two fantastic starting XIs of players not going to the World Cup:

WC absentee XI: Adler - Bosingwa, Ferdinand, Nesta, Zanetti - Essien, Ballack, Ronaldinho - Pato, Drogba, Benzema.

WC absentee alt XI: Frey - Neville, Mexes, Westermann, Bridge - Frings, Cambiasso, Diego - Balotelli, Totti, Cabanas

Plus more like:
Riquelme
Beckham
Mikel
Owen

And more I've forgotten. It's a huge shame that some of these stars will not be there. The players I've highlighted in bold, I believe, will be sorely missed through either injury or poor managerial squad selection.

« Reply #74 on: June 05, 2010, 09:11:14 AM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
Mesut Ozil, remember the name.

Yepp, he´s very good. In some way, he reminds me of Rajon Rondo. He´s calm but very confident, and has the same attitude and charisma on the field and when talking to the media.

Players like Kroos, Müller or Marin also have a lot of potential. This is definitely the most talented combination of offensive midfielders / hanging strikers we`ve had in the last 20 years. On the other hand, our defense is too thin and way too inexperienced. The injuries of Ballack and Westermann really hurt us, in that regard.

Btw, I think not all those injuries are bad, as it forces Coach Löw to play somewhat differently and rely on different players. For example, I don´t like Adler as our #1 keeper, he´s not a leader. I think both Neuer and Wiese are better, and I´m not alone with this opinion. I also love the fact that Lahm is our new captain, there was more than just rumours about chemistry issues between Ballack and the rest of the team (and coach/staff).
« Last Edit: June 05, 2010, 09:23:01 AM by Casperian »
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.