Author Topic: What should we do in the 2010 NBA Draft?  (Read 31695 times)

Re: What should we do in the 2010 NBA Draft?
« Reply #60 on: April 19, 2010, 03:40:48 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Perk's way underrated here, and a team full of rookies is a bad idea.  I'll be happy with two first-rounders and moving some of the old wood sooner rather than later--not guys at 25 and under.

I don't think Perk is generally underrated here, and anyone is tradeable, just depends what you get in return and if you can fill that void. Perk and 19 to move up 5 spots? Not good. Perk and 19 for Favors or Monroe? Might be a steal. I'll leave that up to better prospect scouts than I.

But yeah, I think that Perk is generally appreciated around here. It's weird that when someone's name is mentioned as a trade candidate, it's taken as not appreciated. Not at all, it's that he IS appreciated and could fit a need for someone else while giving us more value. Or that when someone is mentioned as a trade candidate that that player is being dumped for nothing, or the sake of dumping him. Not true, just trying to maximize the talent on the team.

This year was a letdown (or at least a plateau) for Perk after the steady growth up through last season. Objectively his scoring went up, but his rebounds, assists, and blocks went down; subjectively his defense seemed worse (or that hobbled KG exposed his weaknesses a lot more) and his attitude was definitely less team-oriented. He's still good, and I like the guy, but he's not untradeable and who knows how much money he'll fetch on the open market in two years. If you could get a franchise big guy for him and 19, why not? Anyway, that deal probably won't be available, so it's a moot point. but no one (at least not me) is advocating dumping him for no real purpose.

You may be right if Perk and 19 gets you in the top 10.  Danny should probably reach up to that level with all the apparent big young studs up there.  I wonder how Pierce and the other geriatrics respond to such a drastic rebuilding.

Wasn't Danny trying to get the #2 pick with Perk last year?

I don't know any names in this draft.  I doubt we can get a potential star at #19.  I'm just saying that if we had a chance to get a stud big man by moving #19 and Perk... I'd do it.  Perk is a great defensive center, but he is what he is at this point.  I don't think Perk has much more potential to get better.  He's an asset.  I'd be comfortable moving him if we could get a 2nd young fringe star to pair with Rondo to build around.

« Reply #61 on: April 19, 2010, 03:46:33 PM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
If KG's willing to man the center spot (or if you're comfortable you can lure a guy like Marcus Camby here on a two-year, MLE contract), trade Perk for value.  I love Perk, but he seems to have finally plateaued as a player.  He's due to become overpaid in twelve months.  And, he's just not good enough to rebuild around.  You need to have guys like him to win a title, but he's not the piece you build a title contender around. 

« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2010, 03:48:34 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Perk's way underrated here, and a team full of rookies is a bad idea.  I'll be happy with two first-rounders and moving some of the old wood sooner rather than later--not guys at 25 and under.

I don't think Perk is generally underrated here, and anyone is tradeable, just depends what you get in return and if you can fill that void. Perk and 19 to move up 5 spots? Not good. Perk and 19 for Favors or Monroe? Might be a steal. I'll leave that up to better prospect scouts than I.

But yeah, I think that Perk is generally appreciated around here. It's weird that when someone's name is mentioned as a trade candidate, it's taken as not appreciated. Not at all, it's that he IS appreciated and could fit a need for someone else while giving us more value. Or that when someone is mentioned as a trade candidate that that player is being dumped for nothing, or the sake of dumping him. Not true, just trying to maximize the talent on the team.

This year was a letdown (or at least a plateau) for Perk after the steady growth up through last season. Objectively his scoring went up, but his rebounds, assists, and blocks went down; subjectively his defense seemed worse (or that hobbled KG exposed his weaknesses a lot more) and his attitude was definitely less team-oriented. He's still good, and I like the guy, but he's not untradeable and who knows how much money he'll fetch on the open market in two years. If you could get a franchise big guy for him and 19, why not? Anyway, that deal probably won't be available, so it's a moot point. but no one (at least not me) is advocating dumping him for no real purpose.

You may be right if Perk and 19 gets you in the top 10.  Danny should probably reach up to that level with all the apparent big young studs up there.  I wonder how Pierce and the other geriatrics respond to such a drastic rebuilding.

I don't know any names in this draft.  I doubt we can get a potential star at #19.  I'm just saying that if we had a chance to get a stud big man by moving #19 and Perk... I'd do it.  Perk is a great defensive center, but he is what he is at this point.  I don't think Perk has much more potential to get better.  He's an asset.  I'd be comfortable moving him if we could get a 2nd young fringe star to pair with Rondo to build around.

Greg Munroe. He'd be a nice compliment to KG at the 4, He can really play well in transition which will compliment Rondo nicely.

« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2010, 03:51:18 PM »

Offline Brazilian Celtic

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
If Danny can trade our picks with, say, Minny. We'll get picks 21 and 32. In this scenario will be ideal draft Larry Sanders in 1st round. Then get Quincy Poindexter in te 2nd round. If Wyc open his pocket and buy another early 2nd round, then we could land Jordan Crawford. The kid is awesome in offense. If all of this actually happens, we'll be getting in the draft day a 6'9 atlhetic big man, a 6,7 wing ready to contribute and a 6,4 sg that can shoot the lights out. Fresh legs to this old ball club.  

« Reply #64 on: April 19, 2010, 03:52:10 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

He couldn't get to 2 with Perk last year and Perk has less value now.  I just hope people don't mind Sheed starting...

« Reply #65 on: April 19, 2010, 04:00:29 PM »

Offline Birdbrain

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 235
  • 36 charges and counting..
package something with the #19 and try to move up to take a legit big man.  Anybody on the board worth taking?

I'd package Glen Davis, but I doubt anyone wants that bum.  I'd consider packaging Perk with the #19 if we could net something substantial.

Maybe they could use Shelden with the #19?  What are your opinions with regard to that?

Little Fockers 1.5/10
Gulliver's Travels 1/10
Grown Ups -20/10
Tron Legacy 6.5/10

« Reply #66 on: April 19, 2010, 04:11:29 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
package something with the #19 and try to move up to take a legit big man.  Anybody on the board worth taking?

I'd package Glen Davis, but I doubt anyone wants that bum.  I'd consider packaging Perk with the #19 if we could net something substantial.

Maybe they could use Shelden with the #19?  What are your opinions with regard to that?

Shelden has no value, he's on a one year deal for the veteran's minimum.

« Reply #67 on: April 19, 2010, 04:49:10 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
Draft a future Hall of Famer. Maybe two of them.

Mmm...don't like this approach, expectations will be too high.  Instead, let's draft a couple of hard-working but limited role players and spend the next 3-4 years overrating their potential.

only if we are then allowed to blame doc for not developing young players.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2010, 05:06:55 PM by hwangjini_1 »
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #68 on: April 19, 2010, 05:00:43 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I like two Texas guys, Damion James in the 1st and Dexter Pittman in the 2nd.

James will be a solid wing player that they can play groom behind Pierce. Pittman sounds very similar to Perkins and would be the perfect future back up for the big man.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #69 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:48 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777

First of all, if such a deal came up, I don't think it would be that drastic a rebuild (really, if a top ten pick were in play I think we'd be surprised how quickly one of those big guys would contribute).

But second, and mainly, I don't care what those guys think. They didn't show me ANYTHING this year (between health, declining ability, etc.) that says we need to draft now to appease them. Time to draft with what makes us best overall in mind.

« Reply #70 on: April 19, 2010, 05:58:56 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Trade up and swing for the fences. Pickup guys who fit with Rondo and have high upside. I think this season is our last as a contender, if you even consider this team to be one. This team doesn't need young role players it needs young talent. Besides, young players with potential can almost always be flipped for something if you don't wait too long.

« Reply #71 on: April 19, 2010, 07:29:48 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
I also have some interest in Willie Warren as a potential backup point guard. A big guard, a combo guard, who could backup Rondo and play alongside him as a two guard.

Larry Sanders like an interesting backup power forward.

Damion Jones sounds likes a very interesting backup combo forward. Many similarities to a young Posey.

Those three players along with Paul George are at the top of my list. Gordon Hayward also sounds interesting but at the moment I would be more inclined to go with one of the other players with Paul George at the top of the list because I want to replace Ray Allen in that starting lineup.

Warren is a guy I am very interested in.  He has some red flags, that might prevent me from taking him at 19, but if he slips into the early second round, I would try hard to pick up an extra pick there and take a flyer on him.  

I am not sure he is a PG, but I see him as a potential Gilbert Arenas type.  Unfortunately, that includes that attitude, which is why I wouldn't take him at 19.

As far as the 19th pick goes, I really am not sure yet.  I want to see how some of the predraft measurements go.  I also am having a hard time deciding whether they should be going after one of the raw, athletic big men (Larry Sanders, Whiteside, Orton), Athletic wings (Ebanks, George, Pondexter), or a more skilled/less athletic wing (Singler, Hayward, Xavier Henry).

Ultimately though, I think what will happen is someone really good is going to slip.  This is a deep draft, and there are a lot of tantalizing prospects who could move way up, and alot of other guys who could slip.  I am just hoping the right guy slips, and he makes it all the way to 19.  

As an Oklahoma graduate, Willie Warren would be an atrocious pick at any level. Character issues galore, cannot guard a chair, offensive game isn't anywhere close to NBA level.

The guy is not an NBA player at this point, and picking him would be a Yi-like mistake by Ainge at any level.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #72 on: April 19, 2010, 08:15:27 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81
If we are going to take a shooting guard in the first round, I like Xavier Henry. If we could some how trade up to get him, he would be my choice. Otherwise I don't see any guard prospects outside the top 5 that I think could help this team.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce

« Reply #73 on: April 19, 2010, 08:22:30 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I can't focus on the NBA Draft right now.
Talk to me after this upcoming weekend, when the NFL draft is over.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #74 on: April 19, 2010, 10:22:49 PM »

Offline snively

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 454
I like two Texas guys, Damion James in the 1st and Dexter Pittman in the 2nd.

James will be a solid wing player that they can play groom behind Pierce. Pittman sounds very similar to Perkins and would be the perfect future back up for the big man.
I like all the Texas guys, including Bradley.

Damion James would look very good on this team and not just as a wing but as a Posey/Marion-esque 3/4.  Only 6'7, but he's got a 7'1 wingspan and a better standing reach than Shelden Williams and Blake Griffin.  Good athlete, excellent rebounder, accurate shooter from deep and from the mid-range, decent ball-handling skills, has played the 3 and the 4, plays solid defense, an excellent weapon in transition.

Pittman is fatter than Perk ever was, but he's got much better touch.  Hard to see him making it in the league unless he drops some serious poundage though.

Bradley's really quick with the ball, good defender, good shooter.  I think he could play alongside Rondo in a small line-up.
2016 CelticsBlog Draft: Chicago Bulls

Head Coach: Fred Hoiberg

Starters: Rubio, Danny Green, Durant, Markieff Morris, Capela
Bench: Sessions, Shumpert, G. Green, T. Booker, Frye
Deep Bench: CJ Watson, H. Thompson, P. Zipser, Papagiannis, Mejri