Author Topic: What should we do in the 2010 NBA Draft?  (Read 31698 times)

Re: What should we do in the 2010 NBA Draft?
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 11:02:34 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Draft a future Hall of Famer. Maybe two of them.

Two HoFers would be great.   ;D

It does sound like this is a strong first-round draft, and I do expect Danny to get himself a second first-round pick somehow.  Presuming Doc's replacement is a 'development guy', he could end up actually playing both of them as well.

« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 11:03:49 AM »

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
We have pick #19, and pick #52.

Whom do you want to select? Should we trade up? Trade the pick for a player? Post your thoughts.

I think it's an interesting year. We can only gauge our needs after the playoffs are done. Whether we decide to continue with this core, or attempt to rebuild will decide what kind of player we must draft.

Offer #19 to any team willing to take Sheed off our hands for the last 2 years of his deal.

Why?  With or without 'Sheed, the full-bore rebuilding doesn't begin until the summer of 2012.  I'm as disappointed in 'Sheed as anyone (and I strongly advocated for his signing, even before last summer).  Even if we dumped him right now, though, we're not spending the MLE this summer beyong two seasons, or taking on any contracts that extend beyond 2012.  Dumping 'Sheed won't do anything to restart the rebuilding process, unless you can somehow unload KG's contract.

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 11:04:08 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Draft Daniel Orton in the first and Lazar hayward in the 2nd. Then go home happy.

« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2010, 11:05:37 AM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632

Whom do you want to select? Should we trade up? Trade the pick for a player? Post your thoughts.

I think it's an interesting year. We can only gauge our needs after the playoffs are done. Whether we decide to continue with this core, or attempt to rebuild will decide what kind of player we must draft.

Offer #19 to any team willing to take Sheed off our hands for the last 2 years of his deal.
Not worth it, we need young talent more than payroll relief.

We do need somone to replace him as the first big off the bench.

I don't think we should be going after a bench player.  We have a chance to get a star with the 19th pick. Granger was #17,
Rondo #20.  I hope Danny swings for the fences with this pick.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2010, 11:08:56 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57

I'd normally agree with you, if it was solely for payroll relief.  But I am a full-fledged member of the "Sheed's Attitude is Killing This Team" camp.  I don't like giving away picks just to free up money, but I think in this case, it's addition by subtraction.

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2010, 11:09:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Agreed -- there is a lot of nice talent available in that draft range. Players who can help in the immediate sense and provide quality for the future.

That is a lot more valuable to the Celtics than getting out from underneath Sheed's bad contract.

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2010, 11:11:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
But I am a full-fledged member of the "Sheed's Attitude is Killing This Team" camp.  I don't like giving away picks just to free up money, but I think in this case, it's addition by subtraction.
(1) Trade him to another team for a comparably awful contract
(2) Buy him out

I think both options are better than trading the first round pick.

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2010, 11:14:20 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

I'd normally agree with you, if it was solely for payroll relief.  But I am a full-fledged member of the "Sheed's Attitude is Killing This Team" camp.  I don't like giving away picks just to free up money, but I think in this case, it's addition by subtraction.

Honestly, I don't think any team is going to be willing to take on Rasheed's contract for an expiring deal, just for the #19 pick.  Too mean teams are strapped for cash, or have plans for their cap room, and most of the rest of the teams wouldn't have much interest in Sheed in the first place.

If the C's trade Sheed, it will more likely be to a team that is trying to get rid of someone themselves.

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »

Offline P2

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 162
  • Green 18!
I would be halfway content if we got Wall or Turner with the 19th pick... but now seriously, anyone who can help right away (anti-Giddens) would be welcome.

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2010, 11:23:07 AM »

Offline CDawg834

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 57
But I am a full-fledged member of the "Sheed's Attitude is Killing This Team" camp.  I don't like giving away picks just to free up money, but I think in this case, it's addition by subtraction.
(2) Buy him out

Agreed, they are much better options, but I don't know if it something the team would want to do, or be able to do.  This is an additional option to move him, if another team out there is willing.

As a frame of reference for other posters, here are the last 10 players to be picked 19th in the draft:

Jeff Teague
JJ Hickson
Javaris Crittendon
Quincy Douby
Hakim Warrick
Dorell Wright
Sasha Pavlovic
Ryan Humphrey
Zach Randolph
Jamaal Magloire

Only Randolph and Magloire have made the All-Star Team (and they have both bounced around the league over their careers), so the odds of finding a potential star to build a team around at 19 are pretty slim.

« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2010, 11:38:00 AM »

Offline shiggins

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 147
(2) Buy him out

Agreed, they are much better options, but I don't know if it something the team would want to do, or be able to do.  This is an additional option to move him, if another team out there is willing.

As a frame of reference for other posters, here are the last 10 players to be picked 19th in the draft:

Jeff Teague
JJ Hickson
Javaris Crittendon
Quincy Douby
Hakim Warrick
Dorell Wright
Sasha Pavlovic
Ryan Humphrey
Zach Randolph
Jamaal Magloire

Only Randolph and Magloire have made the All-Star Team (and they have both bounced around the league over their careers), so the odds of finding a potential star to build a team around at 19 are pretty slim.

Am I crazy, or does that list look relatively encouraging?  There are definitely some useful players there.  Plus Danny Granger got picked what? 17th? Big Al was 15th, Rondo was like 21.  There is potential value there.  This is a good draft as well.  I think there will definitely be several good value players at 19.

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2010, 11:40:20 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
Quote from: CDawg834 link=topic=36939.msg733173#msg733173
Jeff Teague
JJ Hickson
Javaris Crittendon
Quincy Douby
Hakim Warrick
Dorell Wright
Sasha Pavlovic
Ryan Humphrey
Zach Randolph
Jamaal Magloire

All this means is that people have made bad decisions at 19. There's talent at 19 you just have to find ot.

Players taken after 19:  
2009- Darren Collison, Omri Casspi, Rodrigue Beaubois, Taj Gibson, Dejuan Blair, Jonas Jerbeko, Chase Budinger, Wesley Matthews.

2008- Courtney Lee, Serge Ibaka, Nicolas Batum, George Hill, Luc Richard Mbah a Moute.

2007- Jared Dudly, Wilson Chandler, Rudy Fernandez, Carl Landry, Glen Davis, Marc Gasol, Ramon Sessions

2006- Rajon Rondo, Paul Millsap, Daniel Gibson, Shannon Brown

2005-David Lee, Brandon Bass, Ronnie Turiaf, Ryan Gomes, Andray Blatche, Marcin Gortat

2004- Jameer Nelson, Tony Allen, Delonte West, Kevin Martin, Trevor Ariza,

2003- Boris Diaw, Travis Outlaw, Kendrick Perkins, Leandro Barbosa, Josh Howard, Mo Williams, Matt Bonner, Steve Blake, Zaza Pachulia

2002-Tayshaun Prince, John Salmons, Carlos Boozer, Roger Mason Jr, Luis Scola, Matt Barnes.

2001- Brendan Haywood, Gerald Wallace, Tony Parker, Arenas, Okur,

2000-  Deshawn Stevenson, Michael Redd, Eddie House.

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2010, 11:44:42 AM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
I'm sure Danny has a much better eye for talent than do I. However, he's not perfect. He drastically overrated Telfair and underrated Roy; sure, with revisionist history you can say that we also unloaded Lafrentz for Ratliff that led to KG, but honestly, Don't you think that Roy+Lafrentz for 2 years (after seeing that Roy was an NBA stud for a full season) is still a more enticing deal than Telfair+Ratliff for 1 year?

Anyway, point is this: Maybe Danny sees a star available at 19 and takes him. However, after the top 10 or so guys, I see a lot of equally likely to hit or miss talent, a lot of "who knows what kind of pro this guy will be." Then you look and see that there are three teams loaded with an array of young guys and also have multiple picks this year; they may want to trade some of those picks for a single better pick to start consolidating quantity into quality. I'm talking about NJ Nets, Memphis, and OKC.

NJ Nets= 1,27,31
OKC = 21,26,32
Memphis = 12,25,28.

So, would any of those teams (including boston) do:
19+52 for 21+32?
19+52 for 26+32?
19+52 for 25+28?
19+52 fro 27+31?

What if they wand Davis in the deal too? Perk? There are some possibilities here. But leaving out trading players for now, are any of those pick swaps realistic?

If so, I see a lot of the same type of talent available in that range. Maybe one of those teams REALLY likes a guy at 19 that won't slip to them. If you could trade away #19 and #52 and come away with any combination of two from:

Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe, Willie Warren, Pondexter, Stanley Robinsion, Ebanks, Avery Bradley, James Anderson, Orton, etc.,

Would you do that?

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2010, 11:54:34 AM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
I also have some interest in Willie Warren as a potential backup point guard. A big guard, a combo guard, who could backup Rondo and play alongside him as a two guard.

Larry Sanders like an interesting backup power forward.

Damion Jones sounds likes a very interesting backup combo forward. Many similarities to a young Posey.

Those three players along with Paul George are at the top of my list. Gordon Hayward also sounds interesting but at the moment I would be more inclined to go with one of the other players with Paul George at the top of the list because I want to replace Ray Allen in that starting lineup.

Warren is a guy I am very interested in.  He has some red flags, that might prevent me from taking him at 19, but if he slips into the early second round, I would try hard to pick up an extra pick there and take a flyer on him.  

I am not sure he is a PG, but I see him as a potential Gilbert Arenas type.  Unfortunately, that includes that attitude, which is why I wouldn't take him at 19.

As far as the 19th pick goes, I really am not sure yet.  I want to see how some of the predraft measurements go.  I also am having a hard time deciding whether they should be going after one of the raw, athletic big men (Larry Sanders, Whiteside, Orton), Athletic wings (Ebanks, George, Pondexter), or a more skilled/less athletic wing (Singler, Hayward, Xavier Henry).

Ultimately though, I think what will happen is someone really good is going to slip.  This is a deep draft, and there are a lot of tantalizing prospects who could move way up, and alot of other guys who could slip.  I am just hoping the right guy slips, and he makes it all the way to 19.  

I like Warren as a prospect not sure why he has dropped out of being a mid-teens pick, but I don't think he's what we need.

I think there are going to be equally talented players at #19 that will fill bigger needs.

we've been watching the Cs struggle all season on defense guarding both the perimeter and the paint because we just don't have the physical guys to do the job with KG hobbled.

I those two spots are the impact spots that will also be hard to fill through trade or FA. Plus, like you mentioned Chris, there are lots of interesting players at those spots.

I like a lot of the wing players including Stanley Robinson, Gordon Hayward, Paul George, and Ebanks. I'm also becoming really intrigued by Larry Sanders. This guy could be a difference maker in the middle and coupled with hopefully some increased health for KG, we could get back to that stifling defense we have played in the past.

as for Warren, nice player, but with Rondo, back up PG doesn't get enough PT to be the biggest impact position IMO.

I also am going to be very interested to see how these players do in their workouts.

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2010, 11:55:00 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I'm sure Danny has a much better eye for talent than do I. However, he's not perfect. He drastically overrated Telfair and underrated Roy; sure, with revisionist history you can say that we also unloaded Lafrentz for Ratliff that led to KG, but honestly, Don't you think that Roy+Lafrentz for 2 years (after seeing that Roy was an NBA stud for a full season) is still a more enticing deal than Telfair+Ratliff for 1 year?

Well, I think Danny knew exactly what he was doing with that trade, and while I am sure he wasn't specifically targeting Garnett, he knew Ratliff's contract was immensely valuable.  I do think he underrated Roy though, since I don't think he had any interest in taking him there, even if he did keep the pick.  Although the injuries are starting to pile up a bit now.

So, would any of those teams (including boston) do:
19+52 for 21+32?
19+52 for 26+32?
19+52 for 25+28?
19+52 fro 27+31?

What if they wand Davis in the deal too? Perk? There are some possibilities here. But leaving out trading players for now, are any of those pick swaps realistic?

If so, I see a lot of the same type of talent available in that range. Maybe one of those teams REALLY likes a guy at 19 that won't slip to them. If you could trade away #19 and #52 and come away with any combination of two from:

Larry Sanders, Eric Bledsoe, Willie Warren, Pondexter, Stanley Robinsion, Ebanks, Avery Bradley, James Anderson, Orton, etc.,

Would you do that?

I think that is a legit possibility, if those teams would consider it just with the picks (although I don't think that is likely, unless they really fall in love with a player who slips to 19).

I certainly would not include Perk or Davis in a deal like that, since I think either of them are worth a first round pick on their own, not just as a sweetener to move down in the draft.  But this team needs to restock with some young talent (assets), if they want to reload, and the best way to do that is to get some extra draft picks.

Now, if a team is willing to give a lottery pick for Perk, or a late first rounder for Davis, I could see them trade them straight up.