Author Topic: CB Historical Draft - 1990's 2000's version - Discussion Thread  (Read 43457 times)

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Here's the premise of the game. Each player will be assigned a team and run that team as it's owner. Players to be drafted will be any player that played from 1990 until the present. Once a player is drafted he is the property of that team. Once all rounds of the draft are over, each owner will be required to submit a roster picking the season that each of his or her players will be represented by. The season chosen must be a season within the time frame of the era, in this case, 1989-1990 to-2009-2010.

Example:

If your starting five consists of Shaq, Chris Paul, Scottie Pippen, Karl Malone and Ray Allen you must select which season each is represented by

Shaq - 1999-00
Malone - 1996-97
Pippen - 1994-95
Allen - 2005-06
Paul - 2007-08

The draft will be a snake draft. The draft will start on May 10th, 2010 and go for two weeks. There will be 16 rounds. May 10th-14th there will be one round per day with picks in 15 minute intervals. That weekend there will be a draft for coaches only. The order will be in the same order as that of round six. This will be more casual and times will be assigned for each team to select their coach by spanning the entire weekend so that people can have a life. The second week the draft will be two rounds per day with picks in 5 minute intervals. When the draft ends there will be a period over the weekend of May 22nd and May 23rd to trade and the trade deadline will end on May 23rd at midnight. On May 24th 5:00PM all final rosters will need to be submitted.

I am hoping to put together a 5 person panel of respected Celticsblog members to judge the final results and give out awards. During the week of May 24th through May 27th owners will be able to make a presentation to the panelists for why they believe their team should receive an award. On May 28th the panel will announce their awards.

The categories to compete:

Best Overall Team
Best Defensive Team
Best Offensive Team

Teams will be assigned to players on April 30th and the draft lottery will be held on May 3rd. There will be a trading moratorium in place until May 8th at 10AM at which point trades can be made and/or announced. All trades will need to meet league approval. If I feel there is a trade that is questionable and not in the interest of the game, I as commissioner will disallow it. Note, I will be consulting with the panel as to what their opinions of the trade in question is, but I, as commissioner will have final word and approval. Trades must be presented to the commissioner by both parties via personal message and announced by the commissioner before they are considered done. If trying to beat a deadline on the time for a pick, make the selection for the team and then do the trade.

I am hoping to recruit a co-commissioner to help me in this endeavor, hopefully someone with mod powers. The main responsibilities of the co-commissioner will be to gather player selection lists from team owners to select for that owner in case that owner will not be present for his or her selection. The co-commissioner will also be able to announce trades in my absence and will be given parameters to approve trades as well. All trades should first try to be approved through me first, however.

I have a list of eligible players that I can e-mail to each owner that is in an Excel spreadsheet to make researching easier.

I am still very open to new ideas and new rules. PM me with any suggestions you have or post them in this thread.

Ultimately, I would like to get 30 players but the great thing about this game is we can do this with as many or as little players as possible. So join up by posting your desire to be either a co-commissioner, a panelist or a team owner here. I am looking for 5 panelist maximum though it can be dome with 3. I am looking for only one co-commissioner who could also serve as a panelist but not a team owner. I am going to be the commissioner and a team owner.

The main rule here is the same for all of Celticsblog, respect each other and have fun. Friendly banter is allowed and encouraged but ultimately this is for fun. The commissioner will have the authority to replace team owners due to behavior or lack of performance. In the event of the inability to find a suitable replacement, the team could be dissolved and the players re-entered into the draft. This will be a decision that will be avoided at all costs and will be a last resort scenario.

No discussion of players yet to be chosen is allowed in any of the CB Historical Threads at any time. Players do quite a bit of research on players and it is inherently unfair to those that do their work to have others giving ideas to owners that might not put in the same workload.

Picks are due before the time listed in the Draft Thread. The Draft will open at 12:30 each day. Owners may make their selection at anytime before their allotted deadline so long as the owner of the pick in front of them has made their pick or exceeded his allotted deadline.

If an owner will not be available to make a selection he can give a list of players that he would be willing to draft in preferential order to the commissioner, a panelist, or another owner. IMPORTANT: Please supply a list long enough to still have one available player left in case all the teams selecting in front of you happen to select all the players you desire. A fill in selector CAN NOT arbitrarily make the selection for you, they must have a name of a player that is provided to them that is available or else no one will be chosen for you.

If for some reason an owner does not make a selection then at 9:00 PM on the night of the round where a selection was not made I will be polling our panelists for their top players still available. From this list a cumulative list will be made. If the team that missed their selection has not made the selection by 11:00 AM of the day of the next round(s) then players will be assigned to teams by the commissioner off of this cumulative list. If more than one selection needs to be assigned then the best available player will go to the team that had the highest pick, the 2nd best player to the team with the second highest pick, and so on.

All teams must remain in the city that is assigned. The owner of that team my change the name of the team but the team may not leave the city in question. No switching of teams is allowed.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 06:10:42 PM by nickagneta »

Re: The Historical Draft - 1990's 2000's version - rules and info
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 10:07:02 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Commissioner
nickagneta

Co-Commissioner
TBD

Team Owners
nickagneta
GreenFaith1819
riah32
Truck Lewis
Drucci
Jsaad
Donoghus
StartOrien
stoyko
GaBerkowitz
RebusRankin
Slugger
Moranis

Panelists
Roy Hobbs
KCattheStripe
Who
Bahku
MattG12
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 02:50:30 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 11:09:30 PM »

Offline MattG12

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 997
  • PEACE
Wish I could, thanks for the message Nick, TP to you!

Just not sure how my availability will be when the summer rolls around.  :-\

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 11:13:59 PM »

Offline barefacedmonk

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 1796
  • The Dude Abides
Wish I could, thanks for the message Nick, TP to you!

Just not sure how my availability will be when the summer rolls around.  :-\

Same here...plus, I suck at these kinda games...my collection of PAPOUG doody points will vouch for the fact.  ;D
"An ounce of practice is worth more than tons of preaching." - M.K. Gandhi

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 11:25:10 PM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
im in....

just so im not confused,,,if i read it right, we are basicall picking guys based on their best season, so Penny is probably better than Joe Dumars, even though Dumars had a better career because Penny's 94-95 season is wat better than any season Joe D had in the 90s-00s?
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 11:28:43 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I won't have the time to participate, but I'm happy to chip in as a panelist.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 11:48:56 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
im in....

just so im not confused,,,if i read it right, we are basicall picking guys based on their best season, so Penny is probably better than Joe Dumars, even though Dumars had a better career because Penny's 94-95 season is wat better than any season Joe D had in the 90s-00s?
It could be looked at that way. Sure

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2010, 12:10:04 AM »

Offline dooyork

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 42
I probably won't be able to participate, because this summer I'm going to be spending a lot of time shuffling between cities and away from the computer.

Your idea is very intriguing though and it made me start thinking about other possibilities.  So I want to offer one idea, just in the spirit of brainstorming.  I'm not very experienced in either mock drafts or fantasy leagues, so if my idea is way off base just disregard it.

What I was thinking was, the draft idea seems very fun and very elaborate, but almost like there should be something that follows, instead of just coming up with the rosters.  You obviously can't do it like a normal fantasy league.  But how about, after the rosters are set, you have a season with 30 games in 30 days, June 1 through 30. 

A game would be played by assigning a number to each calendar date on which NBA games are played (approx Nov 1 thru April 15).  Every day of June, an NBA date would be chosen randomly.  Then, you would take the numbers for each player on your roster from that NBA date for whatever year you picked for that player.  If your player didn't play a game, there would be a backup system: first, look to the day before, if no game that day, go to one day after, then to 2 days before, then 2 days after, and so on, until you have some game stats for that player.  Then you calculate the numbers for your team for each game as you normally would for any fantasy league.  The stats for every game going back to at least 1990 are available on Basketballreference.com, I think.

There could even be playoffs, by taking the top 4 teams in a bracket and having them play off in early July.
Double rainbow all the way

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 12:16:16 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2421
I think the field is too large. Twenty years opens it to a lot of players. Especially when you can pick their best seasons, instead of having 2-4 MVP caliber players you'll have 20 such players and likewise with All-NBA caliber players and All-Star players.

There should be a huge number of excellent teams who are capable of winning a title and very little to nothing at all separating the best teams from one another. Too many well rounded and highly talented teams will make comparisons/contrasts very difficult.

I think you would be best off going with a five year window instead of a 20 year window. I think that would work out better. Also, the number of teams should be comparable to the level of expansion during those five years (90-95 -- no Bobcats, Raps or Grizzlies).

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2010, 12:18:28 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Another issue are the rule changes -- hand-checking/zone -- because they drastically alter some player's (Chris Paul) effectiveness both offensively and defensively (bigs need to be more mobile post rule changes).

« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2010, 12:32:28 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
I think the field is too large. Twenty years opens it to a lot of players. Especially when you can pick their best seasons, instead of having 2-4 MVP caliber players you'll have 20 such players and likewise with All-NBA caliber players and All-Star players.

There should be a huge number of excellent teams who are capable of winning a title and very little to nothing at all separating the best teams from one another. Too many well rounded and highly talented teams will make comparisons/contrasts very difficult.

I think you would be best off going with a five year window instead of a 20 year window. I think that would work out better. Also, the number of teams should be comparable to the level of expansion during those five years (90-95 -- no Bobcats, Raps or Grizzlies).
I like the 20 year window and I like that the differences could be subtle. Makes things more interesting. In other drafts we have if you get late round picks or a team with good players to keep, your ability to finish with the chance to end up with the best team is limited, to say the least. but when you have the opportunity late in the first round and early in the second round to still draft Hall of Fame caliber players, it evens up the playing field.

Maybe a future historical draft can be done that way in future years, Who. But I want to try this one this year and next year and All-Time historical draft.

« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2010, 12:33:10 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
BTW, Who, we would love to have you as a panelist!!

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2010, 12:33:23 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
MVP caliber seasons -- Michael Jordan, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Shaquille O'Neal, Karl Malone, Charles Barkley, Patrick Ewing, Kobe Bryant, LeBron James, Dwyane Wade, Penny Hardaway, Scottie Pippen, Tim Duncan, Kevin Garnett, Chris Paul?, Tracy McGrady, Magic Johnson, Larry Bird?, Clyde Drexler? Chris Webber? Paul Pierce?

There are probably a few others who have slipped my mind.

So from 2-4 MVP talents to 17-25 MVP talents.

The field will be even wider for All-NBA or All-Star talents when you can choose certain players best seasons (Jermaine O'Neal who finished third in MVP voting during his best year ... Baron Davis ... to guys like Derick Coleman and Kenny Anderson).

I think there will be too many freakishly good teams and it'll become very difficult to differentiate them from the pack.

---------------------------------------------------

It will be sort of like a fantasy draft where you have only three players and they are allowed to choose from the 30 teams. Each one of the three players should build a team capable of winning a title. A similar situation should end up happening with a twenty year field.

Many of those teams should be able to avoid certain flaws -- not enough defensive talent, not enough rebounding, not enough go-to scorers, less issues with how players complement one another because you'll be selecting far more talented players so less flawed stars taking key roles.

--------------------------------------------------

Anyway, that is how I would expect this to play out.

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2010, 12:37:53 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Sure, I'd be happy too.

« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2010, 12:43:45 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
Sure, I'd be happy too.
Thank you.