Author Topic: Brian Zoubek anyone?  (Read 12931 times)

Brian Zoubek anyone?
« on: April 06, 2010, 12:00:24 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
People talk about the need for rebounding on the celtics and for years it's been a search for a "true" backup center.  What about Brian Koubek??  He's no future star, but does he remind anybody else of Gortat?  He's definitely got strength and is a real beast on the boards.  His lack of consistent regular season minutes can mask his real story.  He's #1 in NCAA in offensive rebounds per 40 min:

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?year=2009/10&league=NCAA&per=per40pace&qual=prospects&sort2=DESC&pos=all&stage=all&min=10&conference=0&sort=19  

I read somewhere that only Dejuan Blair has averaged more that him in that statistic since 2001.  He also ranks #2 in NCAA with 16.9 total rebounds per 40 min.

http://www.draftexpress.com/stats.php?year=2009/10&league=NCAA&per=per40pace&qual=prospects&sort2=DESC&pos=all&stage=all&min=10&conference=0&sort=21

Aside from the tourney opener, he tallied 13, 14, 9, 10, and 10 rebounds each game all in less than 30 min a piece.  He clearly doesn't have a very refined offensive skill set, but you draft him for what you know you're getting from him - rebounding and toughness.  Another plus is that he doesn't try to do more than he's capable of evidenced by his 63.5 fg%.  It definitely struck me to hear today that he had only totaled 14 free throw attempts all tournament.  But I'm not saying this guy should be in the lottery, I just think he can be a very solid role player who I haven't heard mentioned much on some draft boards at all.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2010, 12:21:07 AM by action781 »
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

Re: Brian Koubek anyone?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2010, 12:02:12 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
I'd pass on Brian Koubek. People fall in love with a tournament performance and forget the mediocrity of a player. Plus he's at an all time high right now.

Brian Zoubek though, now there is a player.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2010, 12:07:04 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I will tell you what though, Kyle Singler could walk in tomorrow and be a role player on a contender. I'd be very happy if we picked him up.

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2010, 12:08:55 AM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
This Duke team just won without legitimate NBA talent.

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2010, 12:15:34 AM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
Who is Brian Koubek? ;) (Type-o maybe?)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2010, 12:21:41 AM »

Offline action781

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 609
Who is Brian Koubek? ;) (Type-o maybe?)

Oops!!!  TP - Thanks!  HAHA
2020 CelticsStrong All-2000s Draft -- Utah Jazz

Finals Starters:  Jason Kidd - Reggie Miller - PJ Tucker - Al Horford - Shaq
Bench:  Rajon Rondo - Trae Young - Marcus Smart - Jaylen Brown -  Peja Stojakovic - Jamal Mashburn - Carlos Boozer - Tristan Thompson - Mehmet Okur

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2010, 12:22:36 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I will tell you what though, Kyle Singler could walk in tomorrow and be a role player on a contender. I'd be very happy if we picked him up.

I agree, Singler is an NBA player.  None of the other players on Duke really impressed me.  Scheyer is like a poor-man's JJ Redick - a comparison which says all you need to know about his pro-prospects.

Comparing Brian Zoubek to Gortat is a joke...Gortat is about 5x more athletic.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

Re: Brian Zoubek anyone?
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2010, 12:27:00 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
I think Reddick is going to get a contract somewhere and end up being a decent piece eventually. Heck he's not bad now.

And next year man. Next year is Morrison's year........

To start playing in Europe.

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2010, 12:29:29 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
I think Reddick is going to get a contract somewhere and end up being a decent piece eventually. Heck he's not bad now.

My point is that a poor-man's version of that is...what?  A 14th or 15th man?  Coby Karl?  You don't use a draft pick on that.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2010, 12:31:34 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

My point is that a poor-man's version of that is...what?  A 14th or 15th man?  Coby Karl?  You don't use a draft pick on that.

Ah, I agree with that.

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2010, 12:34:05 AM »

Offline jdpapa3

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 85
Don't like Zoubek. This was the only game all season that he was played 30 minutes. The most blocks he had in one game was 3. He did that once and it was against Long Beach State. Don't trust a guy like that who the coach doesn't even really trust. Butler even attacked him on high pick and rolls and he looked bad defending it.

Singler on the other hand looks ready for a backup SF position on a good team RIGHT NOW. Like his defense, tenacity, shot. Held a pro prospect to 2-11 shooting. Shoots 40% from 3 and he does this coming off of picks, on the move, being contested. Wasn't a big fan of how the biggest shot of his life looked: a wide open 15 footer that barely grazed rim in winning time, but he carried the team on his back to get them to the point where they had the lead.

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2010, 12:36:41 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
First thing that comes to mind about Zoubek is his height. Other than being tall, He isn't much of a basketball player. If Ainge wanted just a 7footer, D-league got plenty. Gordon Hayward would be nice. He has a nice combination of inside/outside & rebounds really well for a SF. He gets mad respect for leading his team to the championship game.

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2010, 12:45:10 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Don't like Zoubek. This was the only game all season that he was played 30 minutes. The most blocks he had in one game was 3. He did that once and it was against Long Beach State. Don't trust a guy like that who the coach doesn't even really trust. Butler even attacked him on high pick and rolls and he looked bad defending it.

Singler on the other hand looks ready for a backup SF position on a good team RIGHT NOW. Like his defense, tenacity, shot. Held a pro prospect to 2-11 shooting. Shoots 40% from 3 and he does this coming off of picks, on the move, being contested. Wasn't a big fan of how the biggest shot of his life looked: a wide open 15 footer that barely grazed rim in winning time, but he carried the team on his back to get them to the point where they had the lead.

Watching Singler run around like Ray Allen and hit those midrange shots sold me man. That game will work anywhere.

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2010, 01:11:30 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Zoubek is the real deal.  He is the PERFECT back up Center at the next level.  He is VERY bright.  The only thing about Brian is can he stay healthy.  He is worth a late first rounder or a second round pick, for sure. 

I was amazed that just yesterday, he was NOT listed on nbadraft.net in the 1st or 2nd rounds.  Ridiculous.  There simply are NOT many 7 footers with his intelligence, hands, and rebounding ability.  That, my friends, is a FACT.  What he did in the NCAA tourney and the ACC is arguably BETTER than many or most in the D-league.

Smitty77

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2010, 01:37:02 AM »

Offline Bosstown

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 32
NO DUKE PLAYERS!