Author Topic: 2010 Draft is big for the C's.  (Read 16410 times)

Re: 2010 Draft is big for the C's.
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2010, 04:20:28 AM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good
i have watched wayne chism for 4 years now here in knoxville - he has always been very good inside on the blocks, back-to-the-basket player. always had the strong rebounding as well. also shoots the 3 very well and has learned to be more selective with that shot.

his defense has improved greatly during his college career - he can guard inside and on the perimeter. he is a decent passer, plays hard and never had any off-court issues, which is saying something under the program he's been in. he's a great kid.

finally, chism would be all about the team ......... and i think he's only going to get better.

Yeah, I'm a huge Vols fan, so I'm pulling for him to make it in the NBA. Nothing would be better than to see that happen with my Celtics. Like you said, he's essentially a model citizen and he's a smart player, good on D too.

He'd be worth taking in the second round, probably.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2010, 05:12:58 AM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48
With a team WAY over the cap we'll only have the MLE and our draft pics to really add to the team.

It looks like we're gonna have something like 22-26, and i'm hoping for a couple players to drop...  ::) i know i know

But theres a few guys that could REALLY hook us up.
(from NBADraft.net)

(18th)Devin Ebanks- 6'7 Small Forward
College- West Virginia
NBA comparison- Corey Brewer
Strengths- "Prolific" Rebounder, "never takes a bad shot"
Weakness- Non-threat from deep, disappears offensively because of being "not selfish enough"

(27th)Paul George- 6'8 Small Forward
College- Fresno St.
NBA comparison- Trevor Ariza, Danny Granger
Strengths- Excellent Passer, Outstanding from outside, smart defender
Weakness- Needs to bulk up, unselfish to a fault.

I like George over Ebanks. If I want an SF, I want one who can shoot.

Plus he's athletic - kinda like Gerald Green  ;D

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2010, 07:03:16 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39
Regardless of who we pick, does anyone really think they would actually get to play?

In all honesty, given the way the team has played recently, I'm pretty close to hoping that Danny gets rid of Doc and starts a youth movement.

In the meantime, in this draft there are a lot of bigs available deep into the draft. They certainly would be projects, but you cannot teach height. Regardless, the team has a lot of holes to fill. Danny will draft a couple of good guys, but I really doubt Doc will play them unless he's forced to.

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2010, 07:29:43 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
i agree, this is a big draft and no, with doc coaching, whoever we draft does not play.  imo, we need to look at the best 2/3 that's available.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2010, 09:11:20 AM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Regardless of who we pick, does anyone really think they would actually get to play?

In all honesty, given the way the team has played recently, I'm pretty close to hoping that Danny gets rid of Doc and starts a youth movement.

In the meantime, in this draft there are a lot of bigs available deep into the draft. They certainly would be projects, but you cannot teach height. Regardless, the team has a lot of holes to fill. Danny will draft a couple of good guys, but I really doubt Doc will play them unless he's forced to.
If the kid has talent and the tools to perform at a high level right away, like Rondo and Davis did, then Doc will play them. if they don't then Doc will try to develop them in a more long term fashion. It really is that simple and has nothing to do with some supposed Doc "hate" of younger players. If Doc "hates" anyone its players with little or no basketball talent and/or little or no basketball intelligence.

« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2010, 09:37:27 AM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
IT'S NOT A FOR SURE THING, THAT JOHN WALL IS GOING IN THE DRAFT........LOOKS LIKE HE MAY NOT BE READY TO GROW UP YET(dont necessarily blame him, if he's not ready be grown and on his own, it is a smart decision to wait until you are ready):

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65710/20100401/wall_taking_time_on_nba_decision/

Wall will declare.

do you have insider info? maybe the kid bucks the trend and gives Kentucky another shot...
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2010, 10:20:13 AM »

Offline amenhotep04

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 39

If the kid has talent and the tools to perform at a high level right away, like Rondo and Davis did, then Doc will play them. if they don't then Doc will try to develop them in a more long term fashion. It really is that simple and has nothing to do with some supposed Doc "hate" of younger players. If Doc "hates" anyone its players with little or no basketball talent and/or little or no basketball intelligence.

But Nick, don't you think that decision should be made prior to the pick? I mean I realize most picks don't make it, but since we got the 'big three' Doc has continuously stated his desire for vets. Davis is the only one he gave time to. Rondo got playing time when we had the youngest team in the league, so he doesn't really count. And Doc didn't really have a choice to play someone else since Rondo was only backed up by House.

Nevertheless, my point in the comment was that posters get all excited about the draft. I do too. But I've come to realize that the past three years, there's no reason to get excited for who the Celtics will pick. They won't be given the chance to play. I don't buy that they don't earn it. And I suppose we'll never know for sure unless Danny and Doc write 'tell all' books. It's just frustration talking on my part. It's frustrating watching the team this year. What I have seen however is that Doc has been quick to pull a rookie for making a mistake than he is a vet.

« Reply #22 on: April 03, 2010, 10:23:15 AM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
IT'S NOT A FOR SURE THING, THAT JOHN WALL IS GOING IN THE DRAFT........LOOKS LIKE HE MAY NOT BE READY TO GROW UP YET(dont necessarily blame him, if he's not ready be grown and on his own, it is a smart decision to wait until you are ready):

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/65710/20100401/wall_taking_time_on_nba_decision/

Wall will declare.

do you have insider info? maybe the kid bucks the trend and gives Kentucky another shot...

It's very doubtful, especially with the CBA changing (meaning potentially less guaranteed money for rookies.)

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #23 on: April 03, 2010, 10:25:03 AM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336

Amen.

There's a wild misconception out there that everyone Danny drafts is a player. Obviously, people have conveniently forgotten Gerald Green, Brandon Hunter, Lester Hudson, et al.

Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #24 on: April 03, 2010, 11:57:27 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Wall will declare.

It's very doubtful, especially with the CBA changing (meaning potentially less guaranteed money for rookies.)
I don't think the rookie scale contracts will change in the new CBA. They are already long (four years) and cheap. It will be difficult for the owners to get much traction on that while arguing bigger issues elsewhere.

I think ownership may focus on the second contract, the first contract after the rookie scale, and try to dial that back some. But not the rookie contract itself.

« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2010, 11:59:56 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401

Wall will declare.
Agreed -- it's incredibly rare for a top pick to stay in college another season.

Who was the last player to do so? Jay Williams? Before him? Tim Duncan?

The lure of the NBA, and the money that comes with it, is too strong to turn down.

Hard to see Wall staying ... especially with Cousins and Patterson leaving Kentucky because that squad's talent base is going to be slaughtered so it's not like he's going to get an improved chance to win the Final Four either.

« Reply #26 on: April 03, 2010, 01:41:25 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club

Wall will declare.

I don't think the rookie scale contracts will change in the new CBA. They are already long (four years) and cheap. It will be difficult for the owners to get much traction on that while arguing bigger issues elsewhere.

I think ownership may focus on the second contract, the first contract after the rookie scale, and try to dial that back some. But not the rookie contract itself.
I don't think this is necessarily true. The top 8 picks in the draft all make more money than an LLE contract and are guaranteed for 2 years. And top 8 picks are not guaranteed players. Look at Joe Alexander, Brandon Wright, Sheldon Williams, Adam Morrison, Rafael Araujo, and Darko Milicic to name a few.

These teams are so invested in these players that almost have to allow them that third and fourth year of the rookie scale contracts to see if they develop. By the time that contract is over, if those players haven't panned out the teams has invested somewhere between $10-20 million in that player.

Then look at the other end of the spectrum. Down in the bottom 8 of the first round the contracts are guaranteed for two years minimum but lets face it, the talent level and success level of players there are only slightly better than the first 10-15 picks in the second round where there are no guarantees other than the veteran minimum contracts. Ask any GM and invariably they will admit they would much prefer to have a top 5 second round pick than a bottom 5 first round pick.

I think there definitely should be some leeway worked into this system and I think with the ability of the owners to hold drug testing and percentage of the BRI over the heads of the players as major negotiating stickler points, that the players will cave into demands to restructure the rookie scale for an extra percentage point or three of the BRI or less stringent PED testing.

« Reply #27 on: April 03, 2010, 01:49:06 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Wall will declare.

Why wouldn't he declare?  Makes no sense whatsoever.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2010, 03:48:49 AM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
I know I'm late to this conversation, but don't sleep on Willie Warren out of Oklahoma. Also Greivis Vazquez of Maryland, both shooting guards with determination to score. Michigan State was verry lucky to escape with a W against MD in the 2nd round after Vazquez put MD up by 1 with 6 seconds remaining.

Outside of those two, I love Craig Brackins game. If we want another big body to help us grab some boards, Dexter Pittman could be another option. Never hurts to have another guy that could play against the Dwight Howard's and Shaq's of the league.

« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2010, 04:53:50 AM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1227
What do you guys think of that Hayward guy from Butler? Will he be available when we pick and would we have any interest in him? This is assuming he enters the 2010 Draft.