Author Topic: The C's Should Try to Draft Ekpe Udoh from Baylor  (Read 7052 times)

Re: The C's Should Try to Draft Ekpe Udoh from Baylor
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2010, 07:54:54 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Also, did you know that going far in the tournament is one of the biggest indicators of NBA failure relative to draft position?

Basically, it's not smart to draft someone because of "tourney success." You end up getting disappointed. It's too small a sample to outweigh the rest of a kid's college career.

Stay away from the guys who weren't impressive until the last 5 games of the season.

« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2010, 08:23:03 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Also, did you know that going far in the tournament is one of the biggest indicators of NBA failure relative to draft position?

Basically, it's not smart to draft someone because of "tourney success." You end up getting disappointed. It's too small a sample to outweigh the rest of a kid's college career.

Stay away from the guys who weren't impressive until the last 5 games of the season.

Very true.

All the tournament is good for is seeing if a player you evaluated all year has the stones to step up big when the games become more important.

I remember Keith Van Horn looking very unimpressive in his last tourny appearance. He seamed afraid to take the big shot. ....sure enough, he never became a go-to-guy on a winner.

« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 04:29:38 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Very true.

All the tournament is good for is seeing if a player you evaluated all year has the stones to step up big when the games become more important.

I remember Keith Van Horn looking very unimpressive in his last tourny appearance. He seamed afraid to take the big shot. ....sure enough, he never became a go-to-guy on a winner.

On the other hand, just because a player did well in the tourney doesn't mean you should sleep on them...Ty Lawson is a great example.  Obviously Stephen Curry is proving to be a great pro, not just a good story from the tourney.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 04:58:37 PM »

Offline boston.balla

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 1

I've actually read this recently in a book but the authors don't present anything that backs up their claim. Do you have any empirical evidence of this?

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 06:02:06 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Very true.

On the other hand, just because a player did well in the tourney doesn't mean you should sleep on them...Ty Lawson is a great example.  Obviously Stephen Curry is proving to be a great pro, not just a good story from the tourney.

Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson didn't just break out in the tourney. They were considered studs in the regular season as well. The tourney just helps confirm if a stud is a big gamer or not (at least at the highest college level).

The point i think we're all saying is that you can't judge a player only based on a tourney performance.

« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 06:46:34 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Udoh is officially in the draft.  We could definitely do a lot worse.  It would be interesting if they gave him the Clifford treatment and let him emerge slowly like Perkules.

« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »

Offline PosImpos

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 903
  • Rondo = Good

Very true.

Stephen Curry and Ty Lawson didn't just break out in the tourney. They were considered studs in the regular season as well. The tourney just helps confirm if a stud is a big gamer or not (at least at the highest college level).

The point i think we're all saying is that you can't judge a player only based on a tourney performance.

Well, Ekpe Udoh was considered a mid first round pick even before the tournament.  I think he's still worthy of a 10-20 pick.
Never forget the Champs of '08, or the gutsy warriors of '10.

"I know you all wanna win, but you gotta do it TOGETHER!"
- Doc Rivers

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 07:35:13 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas

Very true.

Well, Ekpe Udoh was considered a mid first round pick even before the tournament.  I think he's still worthy of a 10-20 pick.

Right. Again we are still in agreement.

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 08:12:22 PM »

Offline jr_3421

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 81

Very true.

Agreed. Lawson was a high profile player ever since his freshman year at UNC. Curry broke in the tourney in terms of national exposure. If I am not mistaken, he was the leading scorer in the nation prior to the tourney.
"In the 4th quarter I'm whole different player"

-Paul Pierce