Author Topic: Spartacus: Blood and Sand  (Read 5786 times)

Spartacus: Blood and Sand
« on: March 25, 2010, 11:05:52 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 170
Not everyone gets the Starz network but since there have been so many new shows I wonder if anyone has had a chance to check this out. Terrific show starring Andy Whitfield and John Hannah two guys who haven't been in a whole lot combined. Hannah's biggest role to date maybe the comic relief role as the brother in the "Mummy" movies with Brendan Fraser. Very graphic stuff. Kinda picks up where Gladiator and especially 300 leaves off. But it's great drama and I think pretty good writing as well. If you haven't seen all the episodes and have access to Starz on Demand I highly recommend it.
Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity...

Re: Spartacus: Blood and Sand
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 12:07:46 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
It's indeed a pretty good ****ographic series. Last episode was pretty awesome.

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 12:09:13 AM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Gladiator meets Rome and 300 for a threesome. Solid idea. Sometimes it is pretty one dimensional, but that one dimension is pretty awesome. I'm 2 epis back so don't spoil it!

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 12:16:20 AM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123
Gladiator meets Rome and 300 for a threesome. Solid idea. Sometimes it is pretty one dimensional, but that one dimension is pretty awesome. I'm 2 epis back so don't spoil it!

Yet another thing we have in common (I'm also 2 episodes back).

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 08:39:00 AM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
You guys are in for a treat my friends. Getting really good. Especially the last episode. something happens at the very end i completely did NOT see coming!! I don't think I could spoil it even if I wanted to. This show is so wild and raunchy to describe it would probably break like 20 CelticsBlog rules!

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:50:38 AM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Yeah great show.  I watch it regularly with 2 of my roommates and we always get so pumped for it every sunday.

Our jaws dropped after the scene in the last episode.  No explanation needed, you guys know what I'm talking about for those who saw it

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 10:14:08 AM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I don't know if it was the same but I caught what I thought was the first episode when it played on encore (starz does repeats on it) and I thought it was a craptacular version of 300.  It was very cheesey.

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 10:40:44 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
I don't know if it was the same but I caught what I thought was the first episode when it played on encore (starz does repeats on it) and I thought it was a craptacular version of 300.  It was very cheesey.

So was Hercules and Xena the Warrior Princess, and both shows are awesome.

Nothing wrong with the cheese if it tastes good.

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 10:52:37 AM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
Is it historically irresponsible to the laughability point though?  I mean do they have things like Spartacus fighting ninjas or fighting against weapons that didn't get invented for 1000 years after him like early grenades or something? Or against new world animals?

I really hate that.

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 11:43:43 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Stanley Kubrick is rolling over in his grave.   ;D

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline bucknersrevenge

• Don Chaney
Is it historically irresponsible to the laughability point though?  I mean do they have things like Spartacus fighting ninjas or fighting against weapons that didn't get invented for 1000 years after him like early grenades or something? Or against new world animals?

I really hate that.

No I wouldn't say it's historically irresponsible. It's set during the gladiator times but makes no immediate reference to factual events from the day or noted figures. It just sets the backdrop. There are no ninjas or fantastical animals. They do spend a lot of time talking about Jupiter though(if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about). Check it out. It comes on tonight at 10pm. Very well written I think and definitely keeps you engaged. Although I have heard recently that Whitfield now has lymphoma and the 2nd season has been put on hold.

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:00:20 PM »

Offline hankfinkel

• Author
  • Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 36
Although still pretty graphic in the violence as the season has rolled on, that seemed to be the main thrust at the beginning of the season.  As the season has progressed, they have toned down the frequency of the blood spilling a bit, and the character development particularly of Batiatus, Spartacus, and Crixus, as well as some of the female leads, has really been very good.

I have been pleasantly surprised by how engaging the characters have been and how well they have balanced the action and sexuality with some very good acting and writing. Not trying to aspire to be HBO's Rome, a whole different animal altogether, but good entertainment.

And yes, this week's episode was pretty tremendous with a twist that I did not see coming, and carried a lot of dramatic punch.

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »

Offline thebirdman

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
Pretty good show. I was kind of skeptical after the first couple of episodes but I like how the show evolved.

I am wondering however with all the nudity etc. if the episodes are censored in any way in the US?

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2010, 03:21:05 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
Pretty good show. I was kind of skeptical after the first couple of episodes but I like how the show evolved.

I am wondering however with all the nudity etc. if the episodes are censored in any way in the US?

It's a premium channel... no need to censor.

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2010, 04:04:09 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
I AM SPARTACUS!