Author Topic: Have you bought into Lebron HypeMachine???  (Read 32457 times)

Re: Have you bought into Lebron HypeMachine???
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2010, 07:41:33 PM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58
LBJ is currently the best basketball player.  But it is close between LBJ and Kobe.
Is LBJ the best in history?  Absolutely not.  Of course it is difficult to compare across generations of players (because of rule changes and entry of foreign players) but even so... LBJ needs to win at least a handful or rings before he even enters the discussion of best ever.

I disagree...I think right now the best player and MVP of the league is Kevin Durant...will he get the award ? Hell no   the NBA doesnt kiss his butt yet... but as far as being an all around player Durant is the best.   Take Durant off the Thunder and that is the New Jersey Nets, maybe worse,   take LBJ off the Cavs and they are still a 7 or 6 in the playoffs

Re: Have bought into Lebron HypeMachine???
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2010, 07:45:02 PM »

Offline ThaPreacher

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 174
  • THA PREACHER
There's no need for name-calling, mocking imagery, or abbreviated profanity in this thread.  Last warning for all involved.

And no coal in people's stockings either!!! Santa!
"Just do what you do best."  -Red Auerbach-

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 07:49:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
LBJ is currently the best basketball player.  But it is close between LBJ and Kobe.
Is LBJ the best in history?  Absolutely not.  Of course it is difficult to compare across generations of players (because of rule changes and entry of foreign players) but even so... LBJ needs to win at least a handful or rings before he even enters the discussion of best ever.

I disagree...I think right now the best player and MVP of the league is Kevin Durant...will he get the award ? Hell no   the NBA doesnt kiss his butt yet... but as far as being an all around player Durant is the best.   Take Durant off the Thunder and that is the New Jersey Nets, maybe worse,   take LBJ off the Cavs and they are still a 7 or 6 in the playoffs

Without Lebron, the Cavs miss the playoffs, easily.  I just don't think Varejao, Jamison, and Mo Williams is enough to get a team into the top eight in the East.

As for Lebron vs. Durant, the two plays are about equal scorers (Durant is a slightly better shooter) and rebounders, but Lebron is a far, far superior passer and defender.

See here.  The scoring / shooting / rebounding / turnovers stats are fairly close.  However, there's no comparison between the assist numbers, and defense speaks for itself (i.e., Durant doesn't play any yet.)  I love Durant, but to me, his current game is a step down from Lebron's.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 08:15:53 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I mean, I just think this is a dumb thread. How can you argue against Lebron being the top player in the league? He may not be the number one defender, the number one rebounder, the number one passer, even the number one scorer...But overall he is obviously the best in the league.

I hate the guy, but I wont deny his skill. Best of all time? No. Is he the MVP this year? By a loooong shot. Youre telling me if you could start a franchise Lebron wouldnt be your number pick? Youre crazy, stop denying the inevitible. Kid hasnt even hit his prime yet and he is almost averaging a triple double? Please. Put him on any team in the league and they are in playoff contention easily.

Top 5 MVP candidates this year

1. LeBron
2. LeBron
3. LeBron
4. Carmello
5. Kobe

« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2010, 08:36:38 PM »

Offline Celtics17

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
Yes I have bought it! Guys, Lebron is the best player on the planet plain and simple. I know they hype the heck out of him but name me two other players who have put up his numbers in the last 30 years? I bet you can't. His game is not what everyone thinks it should be. He doesn't have MJ's finesse or even Kobes. He can't pass as well as Magic or maybe even Larry. And, he can't score with Wilt. The guy does pass, score, and do most everything as well as any other player since probably The Big O. Knock him until he starts winning titles and then you wont be able to anymore. Right now, I would trade any 3 of our starting 5 for Lebron if he signed a 5 year or better contract. Sorry fellow C fans but it's just how good I think the guy is.

« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2010, 09:11:59 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Without Lebron, the Cavs miss the playoffs, easily.  I just don't think Varejao, Jamison, and Mo Williams is enough to get a team into the top eight in the East.

As for Lebron vs. Durant, the two plays are about equal scorers (Durant is a slightly better shooter) and rebounders, but Lebron is a far, far superior passer and defender.

See here.  The scoring / shooting / rebounding / turnovers stats are fairly close.  However, there's no comparison between the assist numbers, and defense speaks for itself (i.e., Durant doesn't play any yet.)  I love Durant, but to me, his current game is a step down from Lebron's.

It's unfairto compare stats to Lebron because he is the best stat stuffer I have ever seen (I am too young to have seen Oscar Robinson)

Lebron has the best all around game. I am just infatuated with the way Durant scores and he could absolutely revolutionize offense before he's done. To me he is unstoppable offensively at any point in the game. I still think Lebron can be stopped especially in that "offense" Mike Brown is running.

Just a subjective opinion.

« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2010, 09:27:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

It's unfairto compare stats to Lebron because he is the best stat stuffer I have ever seen (I am too young to have seen Oscar Robinson)

Lebron has the best all around game. I am just infatuated with the way Durant scores and he could absolutely revolutionize offense before he's done. To me he is unstoppable offensively at any point in the game. I still think Lebron can be stopped especially in that "offense" Mike Brown is running.

The thing about Lebron is, he's every bit of the elite scorer that Durant is.  Lebron actually scores more points per minute, he shoots a higher percentage from the floor, and he has a higher eFG%.  He shoots a slightly lower percentage from three, but hits more threes per game.  He has an .441 eFG% on jump shots, and a remarkable .751 eFG% on inside shots, compared to Durant shoots .446 eFG% on jumpers (almost an identical percentage), and .724 eFG% on inside shots.

Both are remarkable scorers, but percentage-wise, Lebron has been better.  Even if you say that Durant has the slight lead in scoring, though, I don't think he's anywhere close in terms of passing and defense.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2010, 11:03:08 PM »

Offline openairmovie

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 58

The thing about Lebron is, he's every bit of the elite scorer that Durant is.  Lebron actually scores more points per minute, he shoots a higher percentage from the floor, and he has a higher eFG%.  He shoots a slightly lower percentage from three, but hits more threes per game.  He has an .441 eFG% on jump shots, and a remarkable .751 eFG% on inside shots, compared to Durant shoots .446 eFG% on jumpers (almost an identical percentage), and .724 eFG% on inside shots.

Both are remarkable scorers, but percentage-wise, Lebron has been better.  Even if you say that Durant has the slight lead in scoring, though, I don't think he's anywhere close in terms of passing and defense.

Durant will have more success , more championships and better all around stats when his career is all said and done, he brings more natural talent to the table IMO   the only reason he doesnt get credit for him is because ESPN  ABC TNT and the rest of the media is infatuated with Kobe/LeQueen    Durant gets NO props    the guy went on a streak of 25 plus games scoring over  was it 25 ppg or 30?    And all you heard was a little blurb on ESPN,  if Queen was doing that   it would be a different story.  Its all about marketing,  ESPN markets certain guys to us  and ignore others and the public assumes that whatever we are fed we must eat.  When I look at Kevin Durant I see Michael Jordan    when I see Lebron James  I see a egotistical ass   with all Celtics bias aside on that statement. I see a guy that cares more about himself, his money, and himself.    Durant I can tell cares about his team, his city, and the game by just watching him on the court.

And as far as the statement goes about Anderson, Jamison, Williams  and co. not being a playoff team....well then why is it that all we hear is how great of a supporting cast that the Cavs have   if they wouldnt be able to hold their own.   The Lakers are a playoff team w/out Kobe   and I would take the Cavs over the current 7 or 8 seeds w/out LeQueen. 

« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2010, 11:16:52 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Durant will have more success , more championships and better all around stats when his career is all said and done, he brings more natural talent to the table IMO   the only reason he doesnt get credit for him is because ESPN  ABC TNT and the rest of the media is infatuated with Kobe/LeQueen    Durant gets NO props    the guy went on a streak of 25 plus games scoring over  was it 25 ppg or 30?    And all you heard was a little blurb on ESPN,  if Queen was doing that   it would be a different story.  Its all about marketing,  ESPN markets certain guys to us  and ignore others and the public assumes that whatever we are fed we must eat.  When I look at Kevin Durant I see Michael Jordan    when I see Lebron James  I see a egotistical ass   with all Celtics bias aside on that statement. I see a guy that cares more about himself, his money, and himself.    Durant I can tell cares about his team, his city, and the game by just watching him on the court.

I disagree, and I think you're letting your negative reaction to the Lebron hype cloud your vision of him.  Yes, he's egotistical, and he makes a ton of money.  However, he's a dominant player on both sides of the ball.  Durant can only say that about offense right now, and even there, he's a far worse passer than he should be.

And as far as the statement goes about Anderson, Jamison, Williams  and co. not being a playoff team....well then why is it that all we hear is how great of a supporting cast that the Cavs have   if they wouldnt be able to hold their own.   The Lakers are a playoff team w/out Kobe   and I would take the Cavs over the current 7 or 8 seeds w/out LeQueen. 

We hear about Lebron's *improved* supporting cast, but I don't think I've ever heard a neutral analyst say they'd be good enough to make the playoffs without Lebron.  Is a team built around Jamison and Williams good enough to get by this year's Bobcats?  The Bulls?  I certainly don't think so.

As far as the Lakers, they have a little more talent (Bynum, Gasol, and Odom), but I don't think they'd be good enough to make the playoffs in the West.  They probably could in the East, though.

Lebron and Kobe are elite players, two of the only players in the NBA good enough to be able to lift a team to playoff competition almost on their own.  If you put Lebron or Kobe on the Nets, I firmly believe that's a playoff team.  Those guys are that good.   

That doesn't mean I don't like Durant -- or Wade, or Carmelo -- but I do think they're a step below Lebron and Kobe.

« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2010, 11:59:32 PM »

Offline rav123

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 48

But if you swap Durant for the LBJ, then the Lebron Thunder will become a favourite for the title, while the KD Cavaliers will drop out of contention.

« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2010, 12:08:05 AM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Right but where was Lebron when he was 20 and 21 offensively? Nowhere as refined as DUrant is. The offensive sky is the limit.

Agreed Durant will never touch Lebron in passing or defense.

Although he can become a plus defender IMO.

Edit: I wish I could say I was kidding when I called the Big O, Oscar Robinson, but I wasnt...just a typo.

« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2010, 12:09:07 AM »

Offline twinbree

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 170
No. I understand he's legitimately one of the top players in the league and has been for the past few seasons. What irritates me is the he's the best ever, will be the most amazing player of all time, can do no wrong, will rule us all, end hunger, bring world peace and turn water into wine type proclamations before his career is even halfway over. He might well be all these things in the end but I prefer to draw my own conclusions instead of being beaten over the head every time I watch ESPN.
Tommy: He's got a line about me. Tell him the line.

Mike: Everybody 60 or over knows Tommy as a player. Everybody 40 or over knows Tommy as a coach. Everybody 20 or over knows Tommy as a broadcaster. And everybody 10 or under thinks he's Shrek.

« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2010, 12:15:45 AM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Thing that bugs me is..my 6 yr old Loves those Kobe-Lebron Muppet commercials.

If they ever made a KG/Pierce/Ray Muppet show, I'd go jump off a cliff..

With a Parachute, of course ;D

« Reply #58 on: March 23, 2010, 12:16:57 AM »

Offline Truck Lewis

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 1053
  • Reggie "Truck" Lewis
No. I understand he's legitimately one of the top players in the league and has been for the past few seasons. What irritates me is the he's the best ever, will be the most amazing player of all time, can do no wrong, will rule us all, end hunger, bring world peace and turn water into wine type proclamations before his career is even halfway over. He might well be all these things in the end but I prefer to draw my own conclusions instead of being beaten over the head every time I watch ESPN.

i 100% know what you are saying and agree.  But thats espn's job. Hyping him is their money maker.  Any real fan knows that he needs at least 3 rings to touch larry or magic or even Kobe (i know kobe and magic have more than 3, im saying for there to be a convo) in the best ever convo.  And dont even bring up micheal until ring number 5 is in reach.  The fact that MJ should have 8 is irrelevant.  

And thats just the last 30 years....which doesnt include the man with too many rings for his fingers
Looking for a Sig designer....obviously i will be greatful with tps.

Looking for a Wire - Rondo theme....PM with ideas and I'll tp

« Reply #59 on: March 23, 2010, 12:17:16 AM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544

But if you swap Durant for the LBJ, then the Lebron Thunder will become a favourite for the title, while the KD Cavaliers will drop out of contention.

Don't specualte. That's what the HypeMachine is, bunch of Excuses and Speculations for the anointed one. Lebron this, Lebron that. All I know is so far Lebron has been a failure. KD is leading the youngest team in the NBA to the playoffs. That's an achievement itself.