Author Topic: Have you bought into Lebron HypeMachine???  (Read 32547 times)

Have you bought into Lebron HypeMachine???
« on: March 20, 2010, 07:09:41 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 544
C'mon guys fess up, Have you?

Personally, I'd say: NO WAY!!! He is a great player, but is he better than Wade??? Better than Carmelo??? Better than Kobe(don't hate me)??? Better than CP3??? Better than Durant??? Better than Pierce???

Now they're trying to sell you on Lebron being the greatest Basketball Player of all-time. Don't believe the hype. I'd take Wade over Lebron any day of the week.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 09:27:10 PM by Change »

Re: Have bought into Lebron HypeMachine???
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 07:15:05 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i think he is the best player in the league, but he is still a DB!

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 07:24:57 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

Traitor......... It short changes a lot of great player in the league. Maybe the most consistent player in the NBA. People forget all the great players in the NBA since Lebron is one TV everyday. He isn't better than Wade. Both have similar career stats. He isn't a pure scorer like Kobe, Durant, or Carmelo. Take the freakish athleticism away, then What's left? his game is based on his superior athleticism. Its not definite.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:31:24 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

Traitor......... It short changes a lot of great player in the league. Maybe the most consistent player in the NBA. People forget all the great players in the NBA since Lebron is one TV everyday. He isn't better than Wade. Both have similar career stats. He isn't a pure scorer like Kobe, Durant, or Carmelo. Take the freakish athleticism away, then What's left? his game is based on his superior athleticism. Its not definite.

1) Name-calling is never a good idea, even in jest.

2) Isn't the best player the guy who has the best performances the most times?  That would be Lebron.  Wade, Kobe, and others may at times have better performances than him, but Lebron is the most consistent and most well-rounded player in the NBA.

Also, I love Pierce, but he's not in Lebron's class.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 07:35:48 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

what are u 2 yrs old, calling me a traitor....lol@u and ur immaturity 

i gave an honest answer, i think he is the best player in the league.  but it should have been clear to you i dont like him since i called him a DB:

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2010, 07:42:03 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas

what are u 2 yrs old, calling me a traitor....lol@u and ur immaturity 

i gave an honest answer, i think he is the best player in the league.  but it should have been clear to you i dont like him since i called him a DB:

It wasn't an attack. kool down. I just differ.

Puppies  :)

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2010, 08:32:44 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 112
I like Melo's game better...last head to head matchup between the two,Melo outplayed Lebron.A lot depends on officiating from game to game.If the game is officiated with the best NBA officials i think Melo would win 6out10.Lebron &Kobe gets a lot of calls that Melo,Wade,and Pierce will not get.Lebron has the edge with the media,officials,etc.with Kobe running a close.

One other thing,ask yourself when deciding between players who do you want taking the last shot in a close game...in the list of players here,i'll list them in my order:                                     1.Pierce
                                                   2.Kobe
                                                   3.Melo
                                                   4.Wade
                                                   5.Durant
                                                   6.Lebron
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 08:50:13 PM by housecall »

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 08:34:36 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
There's no need for name-calling, mocking imagery, or abbreviated profanity in this thread.  Last warning for all involved.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2010, 08:44:28 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Melo's game is b-a-n-a-n-a-s. The most complete player in the NBA in terms of offense. If he keeps his rebounding up and gets better defensively, Melo would easily surpass Lebron. Durant is the biggest threat to Lebron. He might be the only guy in the NBA who could average 40ppg. And i'd never short change Kobe. Selfish he is, but still a great player. My favorite is Wade. The things he does at his height is unheard of. Last season, Wade became the first player in NBA history to accumulate at least 2,000 points, 500 assists, 100 steals, and 100 blocks in a season and is the first player of 6 ft. 5 in. (Wikipedia)

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2010, 08:46:50 PM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego
I love it when people frame respecting LeBron's game as buying into the "LeBron HypeMachine" or some derivative thereof.

I don't care too much for hype machines.  But given the combination of what I've watched and the statistical evidence for what I haven't, I'd conclude that LeBron is the game's premier player today.

Further, whether he is the game's best active player or one of its top couple, as Roy alluded to earlier, the use of the "better than Pierce???" phrasing and its accompanying punctuation is a fatal blow to what little credibility this thread had to begin with.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2010, 08:50:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Carmelo Anthony + Kevin Durant can match LeBron's scoring ability but neither player can come anywhere close to LeBron's passing ability. Neither player can match his defensive ability either.

LeBron James is by far the best player in the league today.

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2010, 09:07:14 PM »

Offline Change

• Paul Silas
Carmelo Anthony + Kevin Durant can match LeBron's scoring ability but neither player can come anywhere close to LeBron's passing ability. Neither player can match his defensive ability either.

Each player is his own. Few players can do what lebron does. That is the Same with Kobe, Melo, Durant, CP3, Dwight, etc..... I just think the gap is much smaller then what most people think. Take D-Wade: He can score, defend, pass, blocks, steals, and so forth..... And he has proven he win it all. So how much better is Lebron Really?

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2010, 09:08:50 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

Kobe,Wade and Pierce is ahead of Lebron..until Lebron proves he can close big games out then he is still sitting in the top(5) players in my opinion.To be the best you have the beat the best and Lebron hasn't won anything,yet.

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2010, 09:13:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Kobe,Wade and Pierce is ahead of Lebron..until Lebron proves he can close big games out then he is still sitting in the top(5) players in my opinion.To be the best you have the beat the best and Lebron hasn't won anything,yet.

On the other hand, Lebron almost single-handedly carried his team to the Finals, and has had some huge playoffs series.

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2010, 09:22:11 PM »

Offline housecall

• Jim Loscutoff

On the other hand, Lebron almost single-handedly carried his team to the Finals, and has had some huge playoffs series.
Yes,but before Jordan,Bird,and even Kobe,people didn't pin that #1star badge on them until they showed they could close out the big game(s).Maybe Lebron goes thru this entire career,just close but not making it over the hump.Look at Malone,Stockton,and some others went thru many series,almost there but no cigar.